Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best uni for Music tech? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm looking to do either Computing and Music tech at uni and wondered what unis would be good to look at. I'm doing the IB, but not doing music. Would I have to have some sort of Music Tech qualification to be in with a chance of getting into a Music Tech course?

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks
    Bass Dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bass Dude)
    Hi,
    I'm looking to do either Computing and Music tech at uni and wondered what unis would be good to look at. I'm doing the IB, but not doing music. Would I have to have some sort of Music Tech qualification to be in with a chance of getting into a Music Tech course?

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks
    Bass Dude
    The best course is supposed to be the "tonmeister" at university of Surrey. It is pretty competitive to get on and I think they like you to have maths, physics and music A level, but they will take you without the music if you have grade 8 on an instrument and do an audition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smaug)
    The best course is supposed to be the "tonmeister" at university of Surrey. It is pretty competitive to get on and I think they like you to have maths, physics and music A level, but they will take you without the music if you have grade 8 on an instrument and do an audition.
    my friend is doing that course and was told the same thing, that if he had grade 8 (in which he got a distinction) and auditioned he'd be ok. he took maths, physics and music tech AS, after which they announced he had to do music AS, so he took it in year 13. he's really enjoying the course but it's very very maths/physic-sy.

my boyfriend is doing music tech (and "innovation" - nobody knows what that bit means!) at de montfort university in leicester - he's just finished his first year. he also had unconditional offers from leeds met and hull. he chose dmu because of the city and student life style. although the teaching is not the best in the country, he's really enjoyed the course, which is much more "hands-on". he's done website design and animation as well as production and composition. he's also head of production of the uni's (award winning!) radio station. i know a lot of his lectures are the same for computing degrees, so if you're interested in both that could be a good course. he also said that hull has got amazing equipment but it's a tiny campus, i think it's something like 8000 students! it depends what type of atmosphere and course focus you're going for.

with regards to IB, i know my bloke basically got in on his experience - he has two (lowish) a levels in maths and music. he had two years out when he worked as a sound technician amongst other things, and his experience got him unconditional offers at some good unis!

hope this helps a bit!

ps i live in chelmsford!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.