Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bass guitarist's discussion thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to ask if there is anybody here who plays bass guitar. I have been playing for around 5 years and can play at Iron Maiden's studio speed (if that makes any sense to you). My main influences are Steve Harris of Iron Maiden and John Deacon of Queen. This is my current gear list (see below the list for photos):
    • Tanglewood Rebel 4K Bass (Wine Red Finish)
    • Peavey Grind Bass (Natural Wood Finish)
    • Zoom 607 Bass FX Pedal
    • Ernie Ball Strings (on the Tanglewood)
    • Normal Peavey Strings (on the Peavey)
    • Ernie Ball and Venom cables
    • Hohner Force CD200B 35W Bass Amp

My Grind Bass

The Zoom 607 Pedal

Next on my to-buy list is this little combo (again see below for pictures):
    • Hartke Bass Attack Pedal
    • Samson AirLine Bass Wireless Unit

Hartke Bass Attack Pedal

Samson AirLine Bass

So, if there are any bassists out there, post your gear and musical influences.

ReputationRep:
    hey!!

i am learning bass guitar....
    i have just an ordinary starter bass (fender i think) and a peavy 180w bass amp?? I think?

anyway, if you know of any great books or dvds to help me learn quicker, particularly learning how to create my own bass riffs so i can play along with anything!! i have a book and cd at the moment that are quite good but any other tips would be useful.

Ruthie xx

ps. also do you know anywhere cheap to get a bass amp stand and a guitar stand??
    pps. how long do you think it will take me to get good?? how many hours per week practise do i need to do?? I would like to be good enough to play in a band!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    and a peavy 180w bass amp?? I think?
    That's a bit powerful for a beginner! I currently have a 35W amp, although I should be getting a 180W Ashdown Electric Blue at some point within the next coulpe of months.

Are you sure you don't have the Peavey Basic 112 amp (photo here)?

any great books or dvds to help me learn quicker
    I'd reccommend the Trinity Rock School Grade books. Even if you don't take the actual grade exam at the end of it, they're good for riffs and technical stuff.

learning how to create my own bass riffs
    The only thing I can suggest there is practice, and more practice. I've been playing for about 4 or 5 years now and to be really honest, I didn't practice much during the first coulpe of years, but now I've realised that I can't actually get any better unless I practice at least once a week.

A tip that I usually use: Keep your bass with you when you're sitting down somewhere (for example when you're on UKL or playing a PC game) and just mess about hitting different notes in different progressions and eventually you'll find something that sounds good.

pps. also do you know anywhere cheap to get a bass amp stand and a guitar stand??
    Try Soundslive.co.uk (http://www.soundslive.co.uk/moreinfo.asp?ID=1094). Or just walk into your local music shop and ask for one. I'm sure they'd be only too glad to help you.

pps. how long do you think it will take me to get good?? how many hours per week practise do i need to do?? I would like to be good enough to play in a band!!
    Well, it depends on your version of "good". If you aspire to be a session musician or a professional, then you need to play at a pretty high standard. If, however, you're only aiming at touring the local pubs and clubs in your area, then you don't need to be as talented, but you still need to work just as hard.

I can't put a number on the amount of time you need to spend practicing, but all I can say is that you should just gague the time in accordance with your other commitments. My college work as gone off the rails recently because I've spent too much time playing and not enough time studying.

As far as playing in a band goes, I'd just ask around at college/uni/local music shops and see what there is for you in your favourite style.

Sorry about the length of the reply, but I wanted to get all of the points in lol.

Craig

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    thanks for the reply... i'm not sure about my amp...i'll have to check when i get home....
    it is about 1m high though and pretty beefy- especially when you turn it up full- infact i don't play with it on full cos it makes the house shake!!
    I bought it second hand..it was going cheap!! otherwise i would have just bought a small one!!
    its good though, becuase it means i can play with my bf when he is playing piano and i can still be heard!!
    i will look out those bass books!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just thought I'd give you some hope regards learning bass. Although I don't play bass myself, early last, year myself and a few friends started having informal jams - minus a bassist. When we started to write a few half decent songs we realised we needed to find a bassist to complete the group but unfortunately, our college was devoid of them (bass not being the most popular instrument....)

Anyway, one of my friends showed an interest in playing with us (despite never actually picking up a musical instrument in his life), so he went out and bought himself a bass and amp and related bits and bobs. Obviously at first things were a little, hmm, out of time yet after much jamming and whatnot he's really progressed. Anyhoo, now, after only playing for less than a year my band is playing in front of 400+ people regularly and he's an integral part - slapping, popping, tapping and all those other crazy bass related things. Even better, despite being a leftie, he plays right handed!

So, the moral of this long and rambling story is - find yourself a band, or just jam with anyone (even, say, french horns...actually maybe not), and you'll improve lots and lots.

Hope this is encouragement, good luck,
    Rob

ReputationRep:
    Update:
    Been and looked at my gear!!
    I got it all a bit wrong
    I have a peavy bass....and a 100W bass amp made by....drat i've forgotten..it begins with T anyway....

I am encouraged by previous post- there is hope for me yet!!

ReputationRep:
    Cool. Good luck with it. Post here if you have any questions or problems!

Craig

ReputationRep:
    Those peavy basses are damn good. I was going to get one but plumpted for a Tanglewood Curbow. Shoulda got the peavy....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.