Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Losing weight Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I cant seem to lose weight! I do exercise and try to eat healthy but i cant lose weight. I'm really not happy with my weight/size.

Whenever i try to lose weight i never do, so when i start eating bad again it makes it hard to start being healthy because there aren't results I go through extremes of dieting and exercise and then eating all the wrong things! How can i motivate myself to do more exercise and try to lose weight?

Honest answers only please, this matters to me!

ReputationRep:
    You're trying too hard. Expecting results too quickly. Too demanding of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    look for dieting and exercise forums, youl get more help and encouragement from there

ReputationRep:
    So, what would you normally eat in a day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    calculate your TDEE and eat 500 cals less than it to lose 1 lb per week (1 lb of bodyfat = 3500 calories), track your weight over a few weeks and add/subtract calories until you're losing 1-2 lbs per week, just eating 'healthy' is meaningless if you're still consuming at or above your maintenance calories

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

weight loss is an incredibly simple concept which for some reason people love to overcomplicate

tldr: eat less, move more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_16)
    I cant seem to lose weight! I do exercise and try to eat healthy but i cant lose weight. I'm really not happy with my weight/size.

Whenever i try to lose weight i never do, so when i start eating bad again it makes it hard to start being healthy because there aren't results I go through extremes of dieting and exercise and then eating all the wrong things! How can i motivate myself to do more exercise and try to lose weight?

Honest answers only please, this matters to me!
    Your post has struck a chord with me as I have found myself in the same position.

The problem with weight loss is that everyone is different. The one-size-fits-all diets won't necessarily work for you - they certainly didn't for me - and I suspect that this is what the matter is with you. Extremes of dieting are definitely a big no-no as your body becomes resistant to them and goes into "starvation mode" - the more often you starve your body, the more difficult it will become for you to lose weight. I know, I've been there.

There are two things you can do. The first one is the most important one: see a doctor and find out how much weight you need to lose, and also if you have any other health issues that are related to being overweight. (If, for example, a diabetic person starts dieting furiously, the consequences could be life-threatening!) Then go and see a nutritionist - your doctor should be able to recommend one - who will be able to make up a personalised plan for you. Then stick with it and go and see your nutritionist regularly - the regular visits should help you with your motivation, too.

Of course, we don't know what you actually look like so we can't judge, but your doctor might just tell you that your weight is normal. In that case, don't try to lose weight but just concentrate on eating a balanced diet. Again, if you have problems with that go and see a nutritionist but the general recommendations are: make sure you get lots of vegetables and fruit; eat red meat no more than three times a week; eat fish at least once a week, preferably twice; cut down on alcohol (no more than the equivalent of one glass of wine a day!); cut down on sugar by never, ever, drinking soft drinks. For exercise, no need to bust a gut: just do a half-hour walk every day: 15 minutes one way, then 15 minutes back, walking fairly briskly - this will accumulate to three and a half hours of exercise a week, which is a lot better than an hour in the gym a couple of times a week!

I really hope you find some of this useful - good luck. Keep healthy; keep safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Schoon)
    Your post has struck a chord with me as I have found myself in the same position.

The problem with weight loss is that everyone is different. The one-size-fits-all diets won't necessarily work for you - they certainly didn't for me - and I suspect that this is what the matter is with you. Extremes of dieting are definitely a big no-no as your body becomes resistant to them and goes into "starvation mode" - the more often you starve your body, the more difficult it will become for you to lose weight. I know, I've been there.

There are two things you can do. The first one is the most important one: see a doctor and find out how much weight you need to lose, and also if you have any other health issues that are related to being overweight. (If, for example, a diabetic person starts dieting furiously, the consequences could be life-threatening!) Then go and see a nutritionist - your doctor should be able to recommend one - who will be able to make up a personalised plan for you. Then stick with it and go and see your nutritionist regularly - the regular visits should help you with your motivation, too.

Of course, we don't know what you actually look like so we can't judge, but your doctor might just tell you that your weight is normal. In that case, don't try to lose weight but just concentrate on eating a balanced diet. Again, if you have problems with that go and see a nutritionist but the general recommendations are: make sure you get lots of vegetables and fruit; eat red meat no more than three times a week; eat fish at least once a week, preferably twice; cut down on alcohol (no more than the equivalent of one glass of wine a day!); cut down on sugar by never, ever, drinking soft drinks. For exercise, no need to bust a gut: just do a half-hour walk every day: 15 minutes one way, then 15 minutes back, walking fairly briskly - this will accumulate to three and a half hours of exercise a week, which is a lot better than an hour in the gym a couple of times a week!

I really hope you find some of this useful - good luck. Keep healthy; keep safe.
    Thank you so much for your reply, the problem is that I'm 16 and so visiting a nutritionist isn't going to be that easy! I don't have much influence over the meals I have either. I exercise for at least an hour each day (walking/jogging) and I do 2 hrs a week of running (not for full 2 hours but close enough).

Thank you though for the nutrition advice, I can try those definitely thank you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your reply, the problem is that I'm 16 and so visiting a nutritionist isn't going to be that easy! I don't have much influence over the meals I have either. I exercise for at least an hour each day (walking/jogging) and I do 2 hrs a week of running (not for full 2 hours but close enough).

Thank you though for the nutrition advice, I can try those definitely thank you
    Well done on your exercise regime, that's brilliant!

Being fed rather than preparing your own meals does make things a bit more difficult but, as you say, you can definitely eat more vegetables and fruit at mealtimes. Another thing to do is to eat slowly - did you know that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you don't need any more food? Also, avoid snacking in between meals or, if you get really hungry, just eat an apple or a handful of unsalted nuts - again, slowly and mindfully - sit down for this! Don't ever eat while doing something else (eg while doing your homework) apart from chatting to other people eating with you. If possible, try to keep shop-bought biscuits and packets of crisps as exceptional treats rather than daily fare.

At 16 you might well not have reached your full adult size and shape yet. I found that I hated my "new" body at 16; it took me quite a few years to get used to it! Unless you are seriously overweight, you will probably find that with a more balanced diet and continued exercise, you'll steadily feel a lot better about yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Schoon)
    Well done on your exercise regime, that's brilliant!

Being fed rather than preparing your own meals does make things a bit more difficult but, as you say, you can definitely eat more vegetables and fruit at mealtimes. Another thing to do is to eat slowly - did you know that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you don't need any more food? Also, avoid snacking in between meals or, if you get really hungry, just eat an apple or a handful of unsalted nuts - again, slowly and mindfully - sit down for this! Don't ever eat while doing something else (eg while doing your homework) apart from chatting to other people eating with you. If possible, try to keep shop-bought biscuits and packets of crisps as exceptional treats rather than daily fare.

At 16 you might well not have reached your full adult size and shape yet. I found that I hated my "new" body at 16; it took me quite a few years to get used to it! Unless you are seriously overweight, you will probably find that with a more balanced diet and continued exercise, you'll steadily feel a lot better about yourself.

Thank you those eating tips are good, I will try that as my problem I think is snacking . I will start tomorrow as I read somewhere its better to start eating healthily and making a clean break the next day in the morning when you're fresh my BMI is in the normal range but closer to overweight.

Thank you so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    Thank you those eating tips are good, I will try that as my problem I think is snacking . I will start tomorrow as I read somewhere its better to start eating healthily and making a clean break the next day in the morning when you're fresh my BMI is in the normal range but closer to overweight.

Thank you so much for your help
    You're welcome - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You should do cardio workout with dumbbells every morning. You gain stamina, strength, muscles and you keep on burning fat all day due to the cardio.

You should eat egg whites, vegetables, lean protein. Healthy food matters so does your excersice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.