Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not sure on what to choose for my future... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If uni would help you to get a higher paying job then do that, it would be easier to pay off mortgages etc. then if you want to spend time with your girlfriend let her come to where you are living for uni on weekends or if your apartment wont let guests in then book a hotel room for a weekend a month etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dopesmoker)
    Disregard females, acquire currency.

Not even kidding. If it's a choice between a woman and career, pick your career - especially at the age you're at now.
    Maybe you didn't read it properly? My ultimate dream in life is to be happy, have the woman of my dreams and make her happy, I'm not too bothered about my career path. The uncertainty of me even getting into uni in the first place troubles me! I might not even like the course, I might have to retake a year, I might not like the job, then it would be a waste in the totality as I gave up my ultimate dream for something I deeply regretted doing...

Please don't say that there's more fish in the sea... The only time I would ever dream moving on is if I had to, e.g. her being in an accident and not surviving, etc... I'd be damned if I didn't even give this relationship a true shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon113)
    Maybe you didn't read it properly? My ultimate dream in life is to be happy, have the woman of my dreams and make her happy, I'm not too bothered about my career path.
    Sounds like you've already decided to take the blue pill mate.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    what degree is it you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon113)
    Oh, okay! but personally, that risk is too hard for me to take, read the replies I made above and I hope you can understand my POV!
    Too hard for you to take? Mate, you're 17 e.g. only at the beginning of life's journey, and have a lot going for you e.g. plenty more fish in the sea, so have a word with yourself! If it really is totally unbearable (I don't buy this, but for the sake of argument) then it seems to me you have 2 other options: 1) Man up and insist she move to be with you; 2) Sell out and just follow her around like a little lost lamb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Ha, I'm not sure I have too much left to say really. You have to make your own mind up.

Here is what I would do, I stress this is what I would do if I was trying to plan my life with a girl I loved and I was in your situation. This will probably not be relevant to you.

1) Go on the adventure of leaving London to study near Liverpool. You're close to her. You can deepen your relationship but also if it breaks up, hey, you're still going to university and working towards your future. It also shows you're willing to sacrifice for her. A big step in any relationship.
    2) Leave uni, get a job
    3) Save up as much money as possible.
    4) Have a small-budget wedding because it's only 1 day and although it's important what you really want is to spend your money on is....
    5) Buy a house or a flat! Use that big ole chunk o' money that you've saved on security that will last a lifetime not a fancy wedding. (She will probably feel differently.)

Anyway, you're on 17 so it's likely things will change.
    The main thrust of the message is go to uni near Liverpool. That closes no doors for you and gives you maximum flexibility.

SS
    Well the only reason I wouldn't want to go to uni at hers is because I'm interested in the degrees they do there! I chose to do Osteopathy, well I applied for it. So it'd be a waste of me doing a degree then get a standard job that I could of got without doing the degree in the first place! Not much else in terms of degrees excites me, so I'd waste the money and years if I did do that.

In terms of saving up money and what not, i'm good at that, and same thing with the wedding thing, we don't have much friends, so it won't be a big wedding so it'll be relatively cheaper than the average person, so that's sorted! I have around £15,000 saved up as well FYI.

But yes, we'll be saving the money to get a house, we're planning to get a house first before marrying, but then the rest would be me saving to get other properties to rent out, not including money my parents will be giving me and what not.

What our plan would be is; that I move down there, we rent a flat, I go on budget mode paying for half the rent, bills, etc along with her until I find a job, after that we save for a house (2-4 years maybe as houses are cheaper in that area, and obviously during that time my girlfriend will be either moving up in her line of work or finding a better paid job in her line of work) then after we move in to our house, save up for our wedding, then the rest will be planned out in the future as we don't know if we are planning on having kids and what not. I acknowledge I am 17 and things can change, etc and I understand love can make you blind, but she's made my life turn around, made me into a better person, etc.

(Original post by scottishgirl163)
    Osteopathy

(Original post by scottishgirl163)
    Osteopathy, but again I dont even know i want to do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieMCR)
    If uni would help you to get a higher paying job then do that, it would be easier to pay off mortgages etc. then if you want to spend time with your girlfriend let her come to where you are living for uni on weekends or if your apartment wont let guests in then book a hotel room for a weekend a month etc.
    But thats it, i dont know if i want to go uni, im not sure if i want to do the degree i chose or if my parents have pressured me into it! And it would be even harder that way cause i would be even further away from her and she would then be living by herself so she wouldnt have the money to come see me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well everything in life is contingent, so the temporary argument is unjustifiable! Especially in my situation, it's not the fact I don't want to get a good job and all, I just believe that it's more of a risk that I will be taking by going to uni (chance not passing my degree, repeating a year, me not liking it, etc, I'm not even sure I want to do It for myself or if my dad is pressuring me!) all I know for sure is that I need my girlfriend, it's not that I only want her, I physically and emotionally need her, I feel at times if I'm crazy and what not, she makes me feel normal and that I can truly be happy, we both equally depend on each other...And before i was with her I was incredibly lonely and depressed, I can't imagine being this happy then going back to that state... I'd honestly contemplate suicide. It's not that I'm emotionally unstable either, I just need her, we fit with each other in basically every way, the only enjoyment and happiness I get from life is mainly her and gaming, then obviously from the few friends that I have and what not.
    Well it sounds to me that your gut instinct is telling you to not go to uni, you seem to think that living life with your girlfriend makes much more sense and has a lot more guarantees to you than uni does. Maybe take a year out and see how you feel?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.