The Student Room Group

Help choosing A levels for Engineering

Hi,
I am in year 11 and will have finished my GCSEs by the end of the year. I am interested in doing a course at university relating to computer science or engineering(probably electronic). I have to choose my A levels soon and the combination I am considering is Maths, Physics, Electronics and for my fourth I am conflicted between economics, chemistry or spanish. Could anyone tell me if this is a good combination and if not what subjects I should be looking to opting for? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by PythonSuperNova
Hi,
I am in year 11 and will have finished my GCSEs by the end of the year. I am interested in doing a course at university relating to computer science or engineering(probably electronic). I have to choose my A levels soon and the combination I am considering is Maths, Physics, Electronics and for my fourth I am conflicted between economics, chemistry or spanish. Could anyone tell me if this is a good combination and if not what subjects I should be looking to opting for? Thanks :smile:

Can't go wrong with Maths, Further Maths & Physics. I didn't even know there was an Electronics A level but it is probably not well regarded any way. Stick with the tried and trusted and if you are doing a fourth make it Chemistry.
Reply 2
Original post by lig1729
Can't go wrong with Maths, Further Maths & Physics. I didn't even know there was an Electronics A level but it is probably not well regarded any way. Stick with the tried and trusted and if you are doing a fourth make it Chemistry.

Ive heard Electronic A level gives a really good grounding for people who go on to study EEE, better than chemistry or physics, just what a few of my friends have said who did EEE degrees
Reply 3
Original post by yt7777
Ive heard Electronic A level gives a really good grounding for people who go on to study EEE, better than chemistry or physics, just what a few of my friends have said who did EEE degrees

It's usually considered a soft option though. Notice that unis want maths, further maths if possible and physics for these degrees and they don't usually mention electronics A level. I doubt it gives more than a cursory grounding you can surpass in a couple of weeks on a degree.
I could also take Design Technology Product design (and do modules biased towards engineering) for one of my four, anyone know if this could be valuable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PythonSuperNova
I could also take Design Technology Product design (and do modules biased towards engineering) for one of my four, anyone know if this could be valuable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bath say DT is one of their most common entry qualifications for a third subject behing Maths and Physics for Mech Eng

Personally, if you are looking to do either Electronic Eng or CompSci i would take Maths, Physics, Computing and Electronics, you would still be able to do any other branch of engineering as well
I think you should try FM too

Quick Reply

Latest