Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most Overrated Retired Footballers XI Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    The opinions of one man doesn't mean much. I didn't put Gerrard ahead of scholes(they're different players with different attributes to their game) but Cristiano Ronaldo hasn't won a World cup while Muller has won a World cup and a Champions league being a key part of the teams, does that mean he's better than Ronaldo or what?
    Plenty of professionals think the same. I really hold their opinions in higher regard than the masses of fans who understand the game in a very rudimentary way in comparison. Obviously not, you might think it fallacious and it is but anecdotally legacy (including individual accolades) has a direct correlation to skill, and last time I checked Ronaldo has 3 Ballon d'Ors to his name. Oh and 2 CL titles

Either way Scholes >>> Gerrard

(Original post by Wilfred Little)
    That's awful logic.

Football is a team sport, Scholes simply played in far superior teams to Gerrard, and there are many great players who had careers that were not as decorated as players who were clearly inferior to them.

Bet you think Messi has to win the World Cup 'on his own' before he can be considered the best player ever.
    Don't put words in my mouth or be condescending please.

Name me one top player at the end of their career without a league title? Last time I checked his 13' and 14' squads weren't bad at all, if I recall correctly they had the title in one hand and f***** it up. Or how about 2005? Good enough to win the CL.

Anyway I digress, I don't think Gerrard is overrated but he certainly isn't a better midfielder than Scholes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sae.HH)
    Don't put words in my mouth or be condescending please.
    Stop posting stupid **** then.

Name me one top player at the end of their career without a league title?
    Paul McGrath.

Last time I checked his 13' and 14' squads weren't bad at all, if I recall correctly they had the title in one hand and f***** it up. Or how about 2005? Good enough to win the CL
    You're arguing against a point that doesn't exist. I said the teams Gerrard played in were not as good as the teams Scholes played in, not that they were bad squads :rolleyes:

Good enough to win the CL doesn't mean they were good enough to win the league, evidenced by the fact they finished 5th that same year. Chelsea finished 6th in 2012 and they managed to win it as well.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Wilfred Little;62364139]Stop posting stupid **** then.

Is there any point arguing with a Man united fan who doesn't realise that football is a team sport and one player probably won't win the league If most of the players around him are sh*t.

ReputationRep:
    Stop posting stupid **** then.

Paul McGrath.

You're arguing against a point that doesn't exist. I said the teams Gerrard played in were not as good as the teams Scholes played in, not that they were bad squads :colleyes:

Good enough to win the CL doesn't mean they were good enough to win the league, evidenced by the fact they finished 5th that same year. Chelsea finished 6th in 2012 and they managed to win it as well.
    This'll be my last response to you since you're obviously an idiotic middle aged guy who can't post with any courtesy.

Fair enough, his career seems to have ended before I was born so forgive me for not recognising him.

Despite everything you've said you still haven't given any argument Gerrard's better than Scholes, so far all I hear is excuses for a mediocre legacy. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Knight)

Is there any point arguing with a Man united fan who doesn't realise that football is a team sport and one player probably won't win the league If most of the players around him are sh*t.
    Who said I'm a Man United fan? Yeah most of the players around him are **** but he still managed to win a CL title? So that was a fluke? It's one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    i would say joe kinnear who used to play for spurs and ireland and off course managed newcastle years later and got them relegated and called reporters **** and then had a heart attack useless piece of trash he was

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Knight)
    You're right tbh. Trying to get an MU fan to see sense is like trying to convince a kleptomaniac that thieving doesn't pay.
    This'll be my last response to you since you're obviously an idiotic middle aged guy who can't post with any courtesy.
    None of this is true.
    Fair enough, his career seems to have ended before I was born so forgive me for not recognising him.
    He played for your club
    Despite everything you've said you still haven't given any argument Gerrard's better than Scholes, so far all I hear is excuses for a mediocre legacy. :rolleyes:
    You didn't ask for one. And besides, I was countering this:
    the former never even lead a single one of his teams to a PL title.

ReputationRep:
    x
    You're doing the lord's work mugging off these rookies.

Agreed with pretty much all you've said, especially with how criminally underrated Rivaldo is - the man was a terrifying CAM.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't ask for one.
    I'll ask for one now then. Shoot.

ReputationRep:
    I'll ask for one now then. Shoot.
    Quote where I said Creasehead was better than Scholes and I'll post one.

The only claim I made re: Gerrard was that Lampard was the better ACM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Probably shouldn't include CLs as part of your point because Ronaldo has more than Muller
    But WC>CL and Muller has a CL and a WC. Plus he has a treble to his locker.

ReputationRep:
    Quote where I said Creasehead was better than Scholes and I'll post one.

The only claim I made re: Gerrard was that Lampard was the better ACM.
    Fair enough. So my point still stands. Scholes > Gerrard, even if you disagree that legacy has no correlation to a players skill.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. So my point still stands. Scholes > Gerrard, even if you disagree that legacy has no correlation to a players skill.
    You're making stuff up as you go along.

Is this post definitely, definitely your last response to me or will it be the one after that and then the one after that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.x.Gotze)
    Zidane overrated.,, okayyy

GOAT performance. First game I think of when someone says 'masterclass'

ReputationRep:
    You're making stuff up as you go along.

Is this post definitely, definitely your last response to me or will it be the one after that and then the one after that?
    Football is a team sport, Scholes simply played in far superior teams to Gerrard, and there are many great players who had careers that were not as decorated as players who were clearly inferior to them.

You believe Scholes had a great legacy because he played in far superior teams (only quantifiable through accolades) but also think accolades have a direct correlation with skill? (I should have said team accolades rather than legacy, my bad)

If you care enough to mention it I'll stop, I changed my mind but if it bothers you fine.
    You seem way too pedantic as an individual for the record. Sucks being you.

ReputationRep:
    Not overrated but I definitely think Lampard was and probably still is very underrated, I personally would rank him above Scholes/Gerrard. Him and Cech were class players at their peaks.

ReputationRep:
    Wilf is genuinely unintelligent, but Gerrard was a better player than Scholes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posts like this pretty much sum up why people tend to think MU fans are idiots.
    Fred, I thought you supported Villa, not Boca Juniors?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Perfect Circle)
    how criminally underrated Rivaldo is - the man was a terrifying CAM.
    Man struck fear into me one night in 2000-01, when Barcelona came to Anfield in the final four of the UEFA Cup. He was utterly imperious - he seemed to glide around the pitch doing absolutely anything and everything. Such a good player, with a heck of an aura about him.

ReputationRep:
    Someone should make an underrated spin off thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.