Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Name That Politician Game! Week 1 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    When did I say " Every Muslim supports ISIS ? " I Said that the quran has Some outdated views that are not compatible with the 21st Century and there are a group of Muslims who live in the UK who call for Shira law . But generally we don't see Christians ( and im on about this country and Europe ) act in this way ?
    They way you said that implies that there are no British Muslims supporting is
    The difference is that I don't see Islam as the problem in this situation. Islam has some outdated views as does Anglicanism (which I subscribe to). How many members does the BNP have? The EDL? The Westboro Baptist Church? These groups consider themselves as Christians, yet you don't make a big fuss about the dangers of Christianity, I wonder why that is. As for Islamic countiries engaging in bad practices, Stalin wasn't a muslim, Pol Pot wasn't a muslim, Mao wasn't a muslim, Genghis khan wasn't a muslim, Hitler wasn't a muslim. Just as there have been societies of all races and religions that have done some bad things, we don't blame the race or religion we blame the ideology. There will always be a portion of the population that are in some way messed in the head and as such they do some terrible things, and they'll do them regardless of their religion. You're a conservative and unionist, whether it be a united people or a united Kingdom, if you're not a unionist, then you're in the wrong party.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    None of which were allegations made by Hazzer.
    Hazzer stated Muslims tend to be more violent as they follow guiding text written in the 17th century, but where other religions have evolved to move away from their texts, Islam is still strongly linked to its text which causes Islamic government to lash gang rape victims, or extremist Islamic group likes ISIL to prosper.

(Original post by Lime-man)
    I hope you're not suggesting that British Muslims are a part of/or agree with those groups.
    I would not suggest British Muslims support ISL, or other extremist groups, but polls of British Muslims do show a quarter of British Muslims have sympathy for the actions carried out by the groups, and it is the inability of British Muslim communities to unite against the radicalisation that is happening in their communities which has led to home-grown terrorism. The Islamic communities in the West are very quick to denounce the extremist groups as not being true representation, nor having anything to do with Islam, but the Islamic communities are very slow at accepting there is a problem with Islamic communities in the West leading to radicalisation.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The difference is that I don't see Islam as the problem in this situation. Islam has some outdated views as does Anglicanism (which I subscribe to). How many members does the BNP have? The EDL? The Westboro Baptist Church? These groups consider themselves as Christians, yet you don't make a big fuss about the dangers of Christianity, I wonder why that is. As for Islamic countiries engaging in bad practices, Stalin wasn't a muslim, Pol Pot wasn't a muslim, Mao wasn't a muslim, Genghis khan wasn't a muslim, Hitler wasn't a muslim. Just as there have been societies of all races and religions that have done some bad things, we don't blame the race or religion we blame the ideology. There will always be a portion of the population that are in some way messed in the head and as such they do some terrible things, and they'll do them regardless of their religion. You're a conservative and unionist, whether it be a united people or a united Kingdom, if you're not a unionist, then you're in the wrong party.
    Hear hear!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I would not suggest British Muslims support ISL, or other extremist groups, but polls of British Muslims do show a quarter of British Muslims have sympathy for the actions carried out by the groups, and it is the inability of British Muslim communities to unite against the radicalisation that is happening in their communities which has led to home-grown terrorism. The Islamic communities in the West are very quick to denounce the extremist groups as not being true representation, nor having anything to do with Islam, but the Islamic communities are very slow at accepting there is a problem with Islamic communities in the West leading to radicalisation.
    You're very out of touch, I know this from what you've written here and your bill on the segregation of schools. When you mention the "islamic communities" you become part of the problem in that you create division. Remember that these people are British Muslims, and as such they are British, which makes them a part of OUR community, they are not their own community. If you ever see a hate preacher, the people taking the largest stand against them will be muslims themselves. But then again, I wouldn't know if you've even met a British Muslim, let alone had the chance to have a chat with one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Hazzer stated Muslims tend to be more violent as they follow guiding text written in the 17th century, but where other religions have evolved to move away from their texts, Islam is still strongly linked to its text which causes Islamic government to lash gang rape victims, or extremist Islamic group likes ISIL to prosper.

Part of what needs considering is why? Are Black people inherently more violent than whites because they are statistically more likely to be criminals, pretty sure including violent crime, they are also behind at the very least a disproportionate number of wars, but then we can obviously turn around and look at demographic reasons. Black people are statistically poorer and poorer people are statistically more likely to engage in criminal activity for instance. You also get the correlation between stability of a state and these tend to be in Africa. Similarly, where a lot of the Christian problem are are unstable, and parts of the Middle East are unstable.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You're very out of touch, I know this from what you've written here and your bill on the segregation of schools. When you mention the "islamic communities" you become part of the problem in that you create division. Remember that these people are British Muslims, and as such they are British, which makes them a part of OUR community, they are not their own community. If you ever see a hate preacher, the people taking the largest stand against them will be muslims themselves. But then again, I wouldn't know if you've even met a British Muslim, let alone had the chance to have a chat with one.
    I disagree, it is this eagerness to paint everyone as being part of the same community that creates the problem because it leads to people ignoring the issues that is causing radicalisation. The radicalisation is happening in British mosques, it is happening online, it is happening in Muslim families, and it is happening in Islamic faith schools in Britain. The government cannot monitor everything that happens, nor can the government communicate with all individuals to stop radicalisation, the onus falls on British Muslims to stop the radicalisation that is taking place in their places of worship, their families, and their faith schools. Your argument would work if the people being radicalised in Britain to join ISIL were radicalised because they felt left out of British society, but the radicalisation is happening because the individuals are feeling excluded from their own Muslim communities.

To illustrate the point, compare the levels of radicalisation in Britain to the levels of radicalisation in Australia, and the USA where there is a focus on assimilation, not multiculturalism. In the USA, and Australia where extremist schools are closed, mosques taking part in radicalisation are shut, and patriotism to the country is promoted by the government, levels of internal radicalisation of their Muslim populations are lower; the Muslim populations in the countries are forced to address extremism in their communities or their communities will see places of worship, or faith schools closed.

Jammy Duel You are not making valid, comparisons, there may be statistical links between the social conditions of groups, and the stability of groups, but emancipation as an approach to international security is not the answer, the answer is to use the stick method to force out extremism, not the carrot method to entice closeness, or communitarian spirits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Why exactly was he a Tory, that is an incredibly untory, left wing statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it makes you feel even better Tony Benn supported his bid for the speakership.

Also I could be wrong but I think we've had more debate in here on Islam than on the actual purpose of the thread

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.