Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving test questions need answering!!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so basically when driving and coming to a traffic light, I never put on the handbrake because they are usually short and hold on the bite. My instructor has told me this is the way to do it but I know this damages the clutch and I don't want to get penalised for it in the test. Would it be risky to try and improvise using the handbrake in the test even though I was never taught the proper way or just carry on the way I was taught with holding the bite? I really want to pass first time but this is something that will eat at me constantly. Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACJHealy)
    There's no penalty for 'holding it on the bite' on the test.
    Thanks a lot, I was only becoming scared because the more I looked around on the net, some said you could fail for constantly doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Finished my driving test 3 hours ago, and I used this method many times. I did use the handbrake when stopped for extended lengths of time, or on hills, though.
    Yeah hills I understand, did you pass?

ReputationRep:
    No need for handbrake at traffic lights imo unless you're gonna be doing a hill start imo. My car has hill start assist anyway so even less need for the handbreak.

I'll occasionally kick my bike into neutral at lights to stop my hand aching though.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, made an unavoidable blunder. One major fault, one minor fault.
    Next time ey I have mine on friday feeling calm but still feeling like I'll make an incredibly stupid mistake to blotch it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    No need for handbrake at traffic lights imo unless you're gonna be doing a hill start imo. My car has hill start assist anyway so even less need for the handbreak.

I'll occasionally kick my bike into neutral at lights to stop my hand aching though.
    Yeah I thought the same my dad was forcing me to use the handbrake when stopped and my mum says otherwise and my instructor hasn't said anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrpopodopalaus)
    Ok so basically when driving and coming to a traffic light, I never put on the handbrake because they are usually short and hold on the bite. My instructor has told me this is the way to do it but I know this damages the clutch and I don't want to get penalised for it in the test. Would it be risky to try and improvise using the handbrake in the test even though I was never taught the proper way or just carry on the way I was taught with holding the bite? I really want to pass first time but this is something that will eat at me constantly. Many thanks!
    Do not worry too much, I did the exact same thing on my test yesterday and examiner didn't say anything. I got 2 faults yesterday, one fault for a show me question and another fault for something else (cannot remember).

And do not stress about driving test, I failed twice and passed third attempt and I had the same examiner 3 times (strict examiner. He told me in all three of my practicals that he knows I can drive though he failed me twice because of silly little mistakes I made(my driving is very smooth and slick, but I am not a pro, I am still an amateur).

The first attempt , i failed because i went too wide on reverse around the road. The second attempt, i failed because i did not look at my mirrors when coming off a roundabout too see if there was any cars on my left. And third attempt , i pass.

Pretend as if you are driving with your mum, that's how I went into the test , and I was driving confidently, in all three tests and no matter how many times I failed. And remember , observation is key to passing

But remember, do use handbrake when on a hill start, you don't want the car to roll :P

And good luck on your test, I hope you pass and if not, please do not be upset about it. Litteraly most of my family passed first time and I passed third time, and they all cussed me when I failed but I never let that bother me, I tried and tried again and I passed.

GOOD LUCK !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyg)
    Do not worry too much, I did the exact same thing on my test yesterday and examiner didn't say anything. I got 2 faults yesterday, one fault for a show me question and another fault for something else (cannot remember).

And do not stress about driving test, I failed twice and passed third attempt and I had the same examiner 3 times (strict examiner. He told me in all three of my practicals that he knows I can drive though he failed me twice because of silly little mistakes I made(my driving is very smooth and slick, but I am not a pro, I am still an amateur).

The first attempt , i failed because i went too wide on reverse around the road. The second attempt, i failed because i did not look at my mirrors when coming off a roundabout too see if there was any cars on my left. And third attempt , i pass.

Pretend as if you are driving with your mum, that's how I went into the test , and I was driving confidently, in all three tests and no matter how many times I failed. And remember , observation is key to passing

But remember, do use handbrake when on a hill start, you don't want the car to roll :P

And good luck on your test, I hope you pass and if not, please do not be upset about it. Litteraly most of my family passed first time and I passed third time, and they all cussed me when I failed but I never let that bother me, I tried and tried again and I passed.

GOOD LUCK !!!
    Thank you for the great advice Pressure is on me to pass first time too, most of my family did about 2-3 goes before, hopefully I break that cycle

ReputationRep:
    Next time ey I have mine on friday feeling calm but still feeling like I'll make an incredibly stupid mistake to blotch it all.
    What time mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    What time mate?
    Just had it and HAHAHA would you like at that fail basically I made a really silly mistake, as we got nearer to end the I knew I was on a clean slate and had a good chance but it made me a lot more nervous knowing I could blotch it up any moment, so then I was turning right and I saw secondary lights but in my mind it went TRAFFIC LIGHTS-RED-STOP. So I stopped when I wasn't meant to. But other than the driving was fine it was just that so I don't really need any lessons but, the waiting time is 8 weeks which pisses me off and I didn't want my mum to fork out another 130 quid I feel terrible

ReputationRep:
    Just had it and HAHAHA would you like at that fail basically I made a really silly mistake, as we got nearer to end the I knew I was on a clean slate and had a good chance but it made me a lot more nervous knowing I could blotch it up any moment, so then I was turning right and I saw secondary lights but in my mind it went TRAFFIC LIGHTS-RED-STOP. So I stopped when I wasn't meant to. But other than the driving was fine it was just that so I don't really need any lessons but, the waiting time is 8 weeks which pisses me off and I didn't want my mum to fork out another 130 quid I feel terrible
    Unlucky mate. Took me until my third attempt to pass, my second test I was sure I'd aced it as well and then literally 3 minutes from the end of the test I screwed up. First test I still think was a dodgy decision on the examiner's part after having a few years of experience under my belt, third test was pretty much perfect. Do you think you'll need any more practice lessons before your next test or you just feel like you're ready and hoping nerves don't kick in next time?

ReputationRep:
    When I booked for my third test it was a 2 and a half months waiting list and I didn't have time to wait that long because I needed to pass for university. I used this website to change the date of my driving test and you can only rebook it 6 times. I went from 2 and a half months waiting list to a 2 week waiting list. the website is down below. Atleast now you know how the test is like, and next time when you go in there, you would not feel nervous like how you was in your first test ( well thats how I was):

https://www.gov.uk/change-driving-test

I kept looking at it every 20 minutes an so, and I found a date earlier then the date I picked previously. Don't get too carried away to keep rescheduling if you are busy with college or whatever work you need to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Unlucky mate. Took me until my third attempt to pass, my second test I was sure I'd aced it as well and then literally 3 minutes from the end of the test I screwed up. First test I still think was a dodgy decision on the examiner's part after having a few years of experience under my belt, third test was pretty much perfect. Do you think you'll need any more practice lessons before your next test or you just feel like you're ready and hoping nerves don't kick in next time?
    I think nearer to the test I will have maybe 2 or 3 lessons with my instructor and for now I will be driving my car with my dad, only thing that bugs me is my clutch control, sometimes when I'm changing down to turn a corner I make the car jump ._. No idea why so I end up coasting around the corner, got away with it lmao. And right now I think I'm ready to take it again, hoping I don't stop at a secondary light again haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyg)
    When I booked for my third test it was a 2 and a half months waiting list and I didn't have time to wait that long because I needed to pass for university. I used this website to change the date of my driving test and you can only rebook it 6 times. I went from 2 and a half months waiting list to a 2 week waiting list. the website is down below. Atleast now you know how the test is like, and next time when you go in there, you would not feel nervous like how you was in your first test ( well thats how I was):

https://www.gov.uk/change-driving-test

I kept looking at it every 20 minutes an so, and I found a date earlier then the date I picked previously. Don't get too carried away to keep rescheduling if you are busy with college or whatever work you need to do!
    Oh right yeah I've just done that today, also signed up for a site where they email you for cancellations, at first I booked my retest for 6 april now I managed to grab 30th march. Ideally would like somewhere from late feb to early march, Ill keep searching.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.