Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just started my a levels and really want to apply for medicine amd i got decent gcse results:
    MATHS- A*
    FURTHER MATHS-A
    FRENCH-A*
    LATIN LANG-A*
    LATIN LIT-A
    BIOLOGY-A*
    CHEMISTRY-A*
    PHYSICS-A*
    RS-A*
    ENGLISH LIT-A*
    DT-C

BUT the problem is I got a C (1 mark off a B) in English Language will I be able to apply for medical schools??

A level target grades:
    BIOLOGY-A
    CHEMISTRY-A
    RS-A/A*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It might be a prob depending where you apply. Southampton for example require an A in Eng Lang.

You will need to look into each university and find out how they feel about it. There should be enough out there for you to apply.

ReputationRep:
    Since you got an A* in English Lit it MIGHT work out but I would email the schools and ask them if they would accept english lit instead of language.

ReputationRep:
    Eng lit A*, eng lang C?! What the hell happened?!

It might be a big problem yes. You will need to look closely through their requirements and potentially contact unis if anything is unclear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Eng lit A*, eng lang C?! What the hell happened?!

It might be a big problem yes. You will need to look closely through their requirements and potentially contact unis if anything is unclear.
    haha yh i know its weird because everyone in my year did better in lang than lit and it was due to extenuating circumstances- my grandma who lived with us was really ill and thanks

ReputationRep:
    Did you ask for a remark? This mismatch still seems odd. I had a history AS level grade changed from "C" to "A" (I didn't even appeal - the school did so without my knowledge...) without any explanation.

I doubt this "C" will be a major problem by itself as long as English Language isn't stated as a minimum requirement and everything else is in order with your application.

ReputationRep:
    Many universities state it as a minimum requirement so you will have to check with each one. Have you considered resisting it at some point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    had to pay for my remark from my own pocket the school didn't even pay for it and it still didn't go up but honestly my english teacher predicted me an A* and english lang result was the least of my worries tbh.
    unfortunately there are very few univesities that accept a C for medicine

(Original post by MonteCristo)
    Did you ask for a remark? This mismatch still seems odd. I had a history AS level grade changed from "C" to "A" (I didn't even appeal - the school did so without my knowledge...) without any explanation.

I doubt this "C" will be a major problem by itself as long as English Language isn't stated as a minimum requirement and everything else is in order with your application.

ReputationRep:
    I have but it seriosuly has knocked my confidence and would i have to redo my coursework or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u10)
    Hi, I've just started my a levels and really want to apply for medicine amd i got decent gcse results:
    MATHS- A*
    FURTHER MATHS-A
    FRENCH-A*
    LATIN LANG-A*
    LATIN LIT-A
    BIOLOGY-A*
    CHEMISTRY-A*
    PHYSICS-A*
    RS-A*
    ENGLISH LIT-A*
    DT-C

BUT the problem is I got a C (1 mark off a B) in English Language will I be able to apply for medical schools??

A level target grades:
    BIOLOGY-A
    CHEMISTRY-A
    RS-A/A*
    Hello there!

Lot's of A* grades there, well done! As lots of other TSR users above have said, many universities do require a minimum of B at for GCSE English Language. Don't be disheartened, there are some medical schools that focus more on other GCSE subjects, or entrance tests like the BMAT or UKCAT. In this case, you probably will have to revise like billy-o for the necessary entrance aptitude tests, and make sure you get your predicted A-level grades in order to make sure you have a strong application, regardless of your C grade.

We've been using our Medical School comparison tool to compare the GCSE entry requirements for each university, going through them in alphabetical order. We found the following, and checked our findings with the relevant university websites:

Cambridge university states the following:
    "GCSEs
    Students wanting to study Medicine must have achieved:
    - grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics
    - two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science" (see here on Cambridge website)

Dundee medical school simply say:
    "Biology is required, at least to GCSE level." (see here on Dundee website)

We don't think Durham specify anything about English grades at GCSE - have a browse through this page on the uni website.

Leicester says:
    "GCSE: English Language, Maths and two Sciences all at Grade C" (see this page on the leicester website)

So, already there are four potential universities that you could apply to on account of your GCSE grades!

Remember, if you're unsure about where you can apply, you could always phone up the admissions offices and ask what their stipulations are for English Language.

Have a look using the comparison tool (it's free!) for yourself, and see which universities you could apply to!

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much for taking time and commenting

(Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hello there!

Lot's of A* grades there, well done! As lots of other TSR users above have said, many universities do require a minimum of B at for GCSE English Language. Don't be disheartened, there are some medical schools that focus more on other GCSE subjects, or entrance tests like the BMAT or UKCAT. In this case, you probably will have to revise like billy-o for the necessary entrance aptitude tests, and make sure you get your predicted A-level grades in order to make sure you have a strong application, regardless of your C grade.

We've been using our Medical School comparison tool to compare the GCSE entry requirements for each university, going through them in alphabetical order. We found the following, and checked our findings with the relevant university websites:

Cambridge university states the following:
    "GCSEs
    Students wanting to study Medicine must have achieved:
    - grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics
    - two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science" (see here on Cambridge website)

Dundee medical school simply say:
    "Biology is required, at least to GCSE level." (see here on Dundee website)

We don't think Durham specify anything about English grades at GCSE - have a browse through this page on the uni website.

Leicester says:
    "GCSE: English Language, Maths and two Sciences all at Grade C" (see this page on the leicester website)

So, already there are four potential universities that you could apply to on account of your GCSE grades!

Remember, if you're unsure about where you can apply, you could always phone up the admissions offices and ask what their stipulations are for English Language.

Have a look using the comparison tool (it's free!) for yourself, and see which universities you could apply to!

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u10)
    thank you so much for taking time and commenting
    No problem at all - we're here to help!

The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.