The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What's with the obsession of trying to make muslims integrate? What about jews?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zimbo97
Oh I wasn't aware of that, or if I was then I'd forgotten.

But the problem is wider than just the question of boundaries, and FPTP would produce skewed results however they were drawn. So what changes would you like to be implemented to stop 36.9%=330 seats, or 35%=355 (2005 election).

I think either the current pre-redistribution system (with the usual boundary changes, not these ones that have been fixed by the conservatives laying down the guidelines) or a full move over to an alternative vote single constituency lower house with a proportional representation upper house.

Overall I'd be happy to keep the present system, unfair as it is. What irritates me is that conservatives whining about its apparent unfairness even though it has delivered them a majority with around a third of the vote.
Reply 61
The OP is just trying to deflect attention away from Muslims to Jews. Its fooling no-one and quite feeble.
Reply 62
Original post by LeoAngliae
The list is genuinely endless

Genuinely?
Original post by offhegoes
Genuinely?

Genuinely in the sense that most people of average intelligence are genuinely able to understand idiomatic use of the English language.

I'm afraid you can't even claim the mantle of pedantry on that one.
Original post by jambojim97
Sikhs don't celebrate DiVali you moron.

There's no need for that :s-smilie:

Original post by TheProteinSheikh
Yes they do.

Both Hindus and Sikhs do.

Sikhs celebrate (or at least they're supposed to celebrate) "Bandi Chhor Divas", which coincides with the day of Diwali. The way of celebration it's celebrated is essentially the same as Diwali in Hinduism, however.
Reply 65
Original post by geniequeen48

Contributed what? May I ask?

Here are the list of British Jewish Nobel laureates:

Ernst Boris Chain (Medicine, 1945)
Hans Adolf Krebs (Medicine, 1953)
Max Born (Physics, 1954)
Max Perutz (Chemistry, 1962)
Bernard Katz (Medicine, 1970)
Dennis Gabor (Physics, 1971)
Brian David Josephson (Physics, 1973)
Elias Canetti (Literature, 1981)
Aaron Klug (Chemistry, 1982)
Joseph Rotblat (Peace, 1995)
Harry Kroto (Chemistry, 1996)
Sydney Brenner (Medicine, 2002)
Harold Pinter (Literature, 2005)

13 Nobel laureates on 118 British laureates were Jewish. That's a good contribution to me. Let's see for Muslims now,... oh wait!
Original post by zimbo97

I am a 2nd generation Bosnian, but speak none of the language, and I have to say I wish I did so I would have more of a link to my family who are still there. I don't think that being able to speak Bosnian would make me any less integrated into society though.

But if you lived in a community of almost exclusively British Bosnians and if you spoke Bosnian more than English despite your family coming here 100 years ago (just like these particular Jews) then that would indicate you are not integrated at all.
Even most secular Jews look down at Haredi Jews as being very poorly integrated.
Original post by Josb
Here are the list of British Jewish Nobel laureates:

Ernst Boris Chain (Medicine, 1945)
Hans Adolf Krebs (Medicine, 1953)
Max Born (Physics, 1954)
Max Perutz (Chemistry, 1962)
Bernard Katz (Medicine, 1970)
Dennis Gabor (Physics, 1971)
Brian David Josephson (Physics, 1973)
Elias Canetti (Literature, 1981)
Aaron Klug (Chemistry, 1982)
Joseph Rotblat (Peace, 1995)
Harry Kroto (Chemistry, 1996)
Sydney Brenner (Medicine, 2002)
Harold Pinter (Literature, 2005)

13 Nobel laureates on 118 British laureates were Jewish. That's a good contribution to me. Let's see for Muslims now,... oh wait!

How many of them were actually religious or practising Jews? Probably none
Reply 68
Original post by Ravenous

OP didn't make that distinction.
The fact that you don't see Jews in the workplace etc is proof that the majority have integrated. Most Jews dress entirely western, speak only English, many eat in places like Mcdonalds. Unless observant, most Jews are unrecognisable as Jewish or distinct from the rest of the population.

The only group which don't integrate is thr Hasidic (the ultra-Orthodox.) But still, they don't committ terrorist attacks or try to convert people to Judaism. Unlike Muslim extremists, they're harmless.
Oh, interesting, thank you for your input. Why don't jews mix? Is it in their religion or something?

The vast majority do mix. You're woefully misinformed.
Original post by zimbo97
The Labour Party are making themselves pariahs when they are led by Corbyn. Which Jew would vote for a man so ardently anti-Israel? If Corbyn leads Labour into 2020 their Jewish vote will collapse.
(Also I would just say that the Conservative Party pushed through the trade union bill because they are ideologically against powerful union bosses, and also the present constituency boundaries are drawn in favour to Labour.)

I'm a Jew and I'd vote for Corbyn. You're conflating Judaism and Zionism, they're linked, but not one and the same.
Reply 72
I used to work with a Jew, he was obsessed with trains and lived with his mum, as far as I know he did not join a terrorist organisation.
Original post by Maker
The OP is just trying to deflect attention away from Muslims to Jews. Its fooling no-one and quite feeble.

I'm not. How many times must I repeat that I'm referring to the ultra orthadox ones. Read before you post without thinking. I posted out of curiousity.
Original post by simbasdragon
The fact that you don't see Jews in the workplace etc is proof that the majority have integrated.

Not really, it's more because a) they're the most segregated group b) there's only a relatively tiny amount of them in the UK
Original post by simbasdragon
Unlike Muslim extremists, they're harmless.
Except to their young children..
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think anyone has answered my question. Why won't the ultra orthadox ones mix and just stay segregated and noone says anything about it and go focus on the muslims who try to mix as much as possible yet some blimming arabs from the other side of the world go do stupid things? Is it in their religion to stay segregated?? I don't wanna hear about the other type of jews because I know about that that's fine but instead of saying "muslims have done what though?" "The muslims just bomb people!" Read the blimming question instead of trolling.
Before you read, I just want to say I'm not hating on jews.

Then why are you asking us why we don't try and make a demographic who have been well integrated into European society for centuries, to integrate?

It's a dumb question. I'm willing to believe it's down to honest ignorance on your part but other people might take your post as indicative of an anti-Semitic ideology.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Then why are you asking us why we don't try and make a demographic who have been well integrated into European society for centuries, to integrate?

It's a dumb question. I'm willing to believe it's down to honest ignorance on your part but other people might take your post as indicative of an anti-Semitic ideology.

People need to read....

Are people allowed to stay segregated in a community without integrating? Yes or no? Is it in their religion to do so? That's it.
(edited 8 years ago)
People need to read....

Patently.
Original post by Ravenous

If a Jewish person is religious and very outwardly Jewish, you point and say 'look they are not integrated'. If they're not practicing Jews, speak English and are generally indistinguishable in their mannerisms from other Brits you deny their Jewishness.

You've just created some sort of catch 22 here, by which you set your own personal definition of what it means to be Jewish to ensure that everyone and only everyone who is in your mind Jewish, falls under the blanket of not being integrated.

Latest