Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is Harry Potter so popular and widespread? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I swear 99% of people I know love harry potter. What is it about it thats caused such a surge in popularity for all things hogwarts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty good but I can't find any reason why people get like super obsessed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number23)
    I swear 99% of people I know love harry potter. What is it about it thats caused such a surge in popularity for all things hogwarts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Every single thing about it is amazing.

But I think it's because of the secondary world thing- Rowling is very good at creating a believable secondary world out of something which is essentially magical and not something tangible to us. That's quite a unique skill.

I love this J.R.R Tolkien quote about story making which explains the secondary world thing better than I can :

What really happens is that the story-maker proves a successful 'sub-creator'. He makes a Secondary World which your mind can enter. Inside it, what he relates is 'true' : it accords with the laws of that world. You therefore believe it, while you are, as it were, inside. The moment disbelief arises, the spell is broken ; the magic, or rather art, has failed. You are then out in the Primary World again, looking at the little abortive secondary World from outside.
    Rowling crafts the magical world with so much attention to detail and craft that you really believe this exists and has happened. And that spell doesn't break once throughout 7 books. The magic or rather art never fails. The world of Harry Potter really feels real, at least to me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Because Snape, amongst other things :awesome:

RIP Alan Rickman

ReputationRep:
    It is amazing. It demonstrates a huge amount of talent and imagination, it appeals to vast audience. The links from the first book to the last book are insane, conspiracies, additional information about the stories since the publication of the last book... The list goes on..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)

RIP Alan Rickman
    Alan Rickman as Snape is one of the best pieces of acting ever in my opinion. He pitches it so perfectly, and lived up to how I'd imagined Snape in the books.

The fact Rowling told him the meaning behind 'always' shows how he was able to play the role with such tact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    Every single thing about it is amazing.

But I think it's because of the secondary world thing. When you read and you get to know the characters and the story so well that you believe it's real. I think Rowling is very good at creating a believable secondary world out of something which is essentially magical and not something tangible to us. That's quite a unique skill.

I love this J.R.R Tolkien quote about story making :

She crafts the magical world with so much attention to detail and craft that you really believe this exists and has happened. And that spell doesn't break once throughout 7 books. The magic or rather art never fails. The world of Harry Potter really feels real, at least to me.
    This is so true! No matter how many times you read it, you really are taken on a magical journey and I agree, it feels real to me too
    (Original post by georgem93)
    It is amazing. It demonstrates a huge amount of talent and imagination, it appeals to vast audience. The links from the first book to the last book are insane, conspiracies, additional information about the stories since the publication of the last book... The list goes on..
    Absolutely, even after all of the films there are more and more conspiracies and extra information and it helps to make it all seem so real. It's such a fantastic feeling when books can do that to you
    (Original post by Indeterminate)

RIP Alan Rickman
    Of course, Snape is my favourite character!

Yep, RIP Alan Rickman
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Many of us grew up with the characters and have thus developed an unhealthy obsession with the Harry Potter universe. Or that's just me

It was/is a form of escapism. Float away into a magical universe and 'reparo' the **** outta your life (daydreams ofc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpe Diem Jay)
    Many of us grew up with the characters and have thus developed an unhealthy obsession with the Harry Potter universe. Or that's just me

It was/is a form of escapism. Float away into a magical universe and 'reparo' the **** outta your life (daydreams ofc).
    Ooh totally true! I started reading them just over 5 years ago now and I must say I'm so glad I did

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Magic

Because Severus Snape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Magic
    You're magic baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    Because Severus Snape.
    Absolutely!!! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    You're magic baby.
    Aww

ReputationRep:
    As others have said it's about the world-building. Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire are probably successful due to this as well; imo they are superior in most other ways but the key element is the world-building. Rowling isn't a brilliant writer on a technical level by any means, but this doesn't really matter as the plots are well-conceived and engaging and the characters are interesting. And of course it's very easy to see how a child can be captivated by the books/films, and carry their fondness of them into adolescence and adulthood even if objectively they aren't the greatest thing ever. They certainly were very significant in my childhood; used to listen to the audiobooks every night going to sleep lol.

ReputationRep:
    tbh I never got into it - don't get the HP hype

LotR is where it's at baby
    Middle Earth is where I belong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    As others have said it's about the world-building. Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire are probably successful due to this as well; imo they are superior in most other ways but the key element is the world-building. Rowling isn't a brilliant writer on a technical level by any means, but this doesn't really matter as the plots are well-conceived and engaging and the characters are interesting. And of course it's very easy to see how a child can be captivated by the books/films, and carry their fondness of them into adolescence and adulthood even if objectively they aren't the greatest thing ever. They certainly were very significant in my childhood; used to listen to the audiobooks every night going to sleep lol.
    True, I like how Rowling's writing improves through the series though. By the the time you get to Deathly Hallows, her writing us really good, at least that's what I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    RIP Alan
    Always
    Xx

ReputationRep:
    Snape was ALWAYS my fav right from book 1
    Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RickmanAlways)
    RIP Alan
    Always
    Xx
    Absolutely
    (Original post by RickmanAlways)
    Snape was ALWAYS my fav right from book 1
    Xx
    Awww I love the way you said that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.