Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting distracted from revision. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips because when i get home instead of doing revision i just keep getting distracted by my phone, computer, tv etc.... ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHARLIE1823)
    Does anyone have any tips because when i get home instead of doing revision i just keep getting distracted by my phone, computer, tv etc.... ?
    I have the same problem...Someone help!

ReputationRep:
    1) Turn off your wifi, or get your family to hide items until a certain time has passed.
    2) Set the clock an hour earlier, eg. 7am in reality, 8am on the clock) This will mean that when you think: Oh, I'll have a break and go on the internet till 12pm, in reality it is 11am. (Works for some people)
    3) Download apps/programmes which may be able to set an internet restriction based on time/ restriction to certain websites etc.
    4) Get into a schedule pattern and follow it until you become accustomed to it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't listen to me, I'm procrastinating right now

ReputationRep:
    same! watching the great british bake of right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandorax)
    1) Turn off your wifi, or get your family to hide items until a certain time has passed.
    2) Set the clock an hour earlier, eg. 7am in reality, 8am on the clock) This will mean that when you think: Oh, I'll have a break and go on the internet till 12pm, in reality it is 11am. (Works for some people)
    3) Download apps/programmes which may be able to set an internet restriction based on time/ restriction to certain websites etc.
    4) Get into a schedule pattern and follow it until you become accustomed to it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't listen to me, I'm procrastinating right now
    Ok I'll try it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Give your phone to a relative

Download Cold Turkey it is an app that lets you block websites for a set amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'll try it. Thanks
    No problem, hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly the same problem when revising for my mocks!! I did 2 things..

1) try to shock myself into revising so kinda like omg im gonna fail or something (sometimes that works!)

2) I did revision downstairs so I couldn't go on my phone or tv because my mum wouldn't allow it

Give yourself breaks! So say, right im gonna work for half an hour or do a past paper. then give yourself a break, go for a walk go on your phone or something for like 5-10 minutes then work for another half an hour. don't try and spend ages revising because you're more likely to get distracted!!!!

good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I will often tell my parents I am revising and ask them to check up on my once in a while as I know I will get distracted and not do anything. I know it sounds pathetic but it works :/
    Also for me setting out a list of all the topics I want to cover in that time helps a lot and even printing off a specification for each topic? idk :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella56)
    I will often tell my parents I am revising and ask them to check up on my once in a while as I know I will get distracted and not do anything. I know it sounds pathetic but it works :/
    Also for me setting out a list of all the topics I want to cover in that time helps a lot and even printing off a specification for each topic? idk :/
    Thanks I'll give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    I also had the same problem when I was revising for my mocks and I ended up doing next to no revision and consequently, many of mocks were a grade or two lower than I have been predicted. So here's my advice for you ....

1) I spoke to one of my teachers about the fact I struggle to motivate myself and how much I procrastinate, etc. - this may seem silly but it was actually really helpful speaking about it to someone else, especially this particular teacher who was great at giving advice about productive revision because she's recently been doing a second degree alongside teaching and so she said the following:

- Try to set short term goals alongside long term ones; my aim is to be super successful in the future but if you focus on short term emotions you might find it more helpful eg I was gutted when I got my chemistry mock mark back and so there is no way I want to feel like that on actual results day (instead I want to feel over the moon of course) so keep that in mind and that may motivate you

- Also evaluate how effective your revision is eg I have previously revised by writing out notes but I have realized that I don't actually learn anything from copying out sections of text. Instead I have now purchased some cheap flashcards and I have been putting key points into questions and answers so that I am actively thinking and processing the information and these cards can also be used at a later date to test yourself when you are revising or carry them around in your pocket and test yourself when you have some time to spare. You can also write definitions, exam questions, etc on the cards as well of course.

2) Additional points; don't write off days / always try to do at least some revision each day if you can and little and often is always good

Sorry this is so long, I'm not very good at being concise unfortunately I hope this was of use in some way. Remember that hardly anyone enjoys revision but you just have to do it in order to feel as though you tried your very best at the end of it all rather than regretting that you didn't. You can do it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nettogrof)
    I also had the same problem when I was revising for my mocks and I ended up doing next to no revision and consequently, many of mocks were a grade or two lower than I have been predicted. So here's my advice for you ....

1) I spoke to one of my teachers about the fact I struggle to motivate myself and how much I procrastinate, etc. - this may seem silly but it was actually really helpful speaking about it to someone else, especially this particular teacher who was great at giving advice about productive revision because she's recently been doing a second degree alongside teaching and so she said the following:

- Try to set short term goals alongside long term ones; my aim is to be super successful in the future but if you focus on short term emotions you might find it more helpful eg I was gutted when I got my chemistry mock mark back and so there is no way I want to feel like that on actual results day (instead I want to feel over the moon of course) so keep that in mind and that may motivate you

- Also evaluate how effective your revision is eg I have previously revised by writing out notes but I have realized that I don't actually learn anything from copying out sections of text. Instead I have now purchased some cheap flashcards and I have been putting key points into questions and answers so that I am actively thinking and processing the information and these cards can also be used at a later date to test yourself when you are revising or carry them around in your pocket and test yourself when you have some time to spare. You can also write definitions, exam questions, etc on the cards as well of course.

2) Additional points; don't write off days / always try to do at least some revision each day if you can and little and often is always good

Sorry this is so long, I'm not very good at being concise unfortunately I hope this was of use in some way. Remember that hardly anyone enjoys revision but you just have to do it in order to feel as though you tried your very best at the end of it all rather than regretting that you didn't. You can do it!!

:bigsmile: Thanks after reading this I already feel better about my revision!

ReputationRep:
    :bigsmile: Thanks after reading this I already feel better about my revision!
    No problem, I am glad I could help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.