Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thoughts on Bulking Up Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys first post so go easy on me hahah

Ive been going to the gym for about 1 month now and am very competent at doing bench press squats and hammer curls amongst other things. Just wanted to now what other are doing to bulk up. Im a short guy so don't want to be getting too wide too quickly.

anyone experience of creatine or as an alternative Whey

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bulking is about diet, not creatine or whey. There's no magic tricks, you just eat, and you're not going to accidentally get 'too wide' too fast, if it were easy to get huge a lot more guys would be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RockinRevolver)

Ive been going to the gym for about 1 month now and am very competent at doing bench press squats and hammer curls amongst other things. Just wanted to now what other are doing to bulk up. Im a short guy so don't want to be getting too wide too quickly.

Thanks
    @WoodyMKC will be better help.

Regardless. You need to focus on your core movements rather than isolation exercises such as curls. For example, squats, bench press, pull ups, shoulder press, once you build those up, you can focus on targeting muscle groups such as triceps/biceps, lats etc.

You wont bulk up that fast. Trust me.

Creatine is good, but only if you plateau, I.e. you cannot put more weight on. It will bloat you and you wont put on much muscle mass. In terms of whey. Take a mass gainer weigh, more expensive but you will get the calorie count you need.

DO NOT make the amateur mistake of thinking that supplements are an easy way to bulk up, you will waste money and time.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Bulking up isn't about supplements, it's about diet more than anything. You've also got to improve your scope of exercises. I'd recommend you read the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

It's got everything from diet to routine advice
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And a tag for WoodyMKC because that's the thing to do these days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)

Regardless. You need to focus on your core movements rather than isolation exercises such as curls. For example, squats, bench press, pull ups, shoulder press, once you build those up, you can focus on targeting muscle groups such as triceps/biceps, lats etc.

Creatine is good, but only if you plateau, I.e. you cannot put more weight on. It will bloat you and you wont put on much muscle mass. In terms of whey. Take a mass gainer weigh, more expensive but you will get the calorie count you need.

DO NOT make the amateur mistake of thinking that supplements are an easy way to bulk up, you will waste money and time.
    when you say in won't happen fast how long will it take me to reach a strong bench press such as 100kg (two plates?) currently i can bench press around 40kg . Also many people in the gym said they added Sd matrix to their diet and got much heavier quickly have you heard of this? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    FWIW I first bench 100 in Aug 2013, I started lifting Nov 2011. I'm 5ft5 and went from 57kg to 75kg in that time though in retrospect I gained more fat than I should of and 75kg is quite heavy if you're short. How long it will take you is a piece of string question

ReputationRep:
    when you say in won't happen fast how long will it take me to reach a strong bench press such as 100kg (two plates?) currently i can bench press around 40kg . Also many people in the gym said they added Sd matrix to their diet and got much heavier quickly have you heard of this? Thanks in advance
    That is gonna take you a long long time mate, at least six months.

I wouldn't recommend it. Just stick to a mass gainer and sort your diet and you will be okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)

Creatine is good, but only if you plateau, I.e. you cannot put more weight on.

I agree with what you said. You can "Bulk" up quick but you won't put on muscle and bulking quickly would most likely lead to excess fat. Building muscle is a slow and long process.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Creatine just help your muscles retain water so the spike in weight you see on the scale isn't an actual increase in weight if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    :sigh:

Q) How long have you been lifting for?
    Q) What are your goals?
    Q) How much did you weigh when you first start and how much do you weigh now?
    Q) Why are you only focusing on just "how much you bench" when its just as important to focus on other compound movements such as squats/deadlifts/OHP etc?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Stop comparing yourself to other people as it robs you of the progress YOU make. Be realistic, patient and consistent.

ReputationRep:
    i like dead lifting

just in general, not for bulking
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)

You're fine in giving that advice, however what you've said about creatine is wrong - it's a debatable product as to whether it actually works; it increases the amount of water your muscle holds and can increase your strength a little and may give you a slight improvement over time when using it in addition to making gains conventionally
    Also mass gainers are an absolute rip off for the most part

ReputationRep:
    Also bare in mind your genetics!

I'm 6ft 2, slim build and I'm still 'attempting' to bulk!

Lift heavy, eat big!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    I agree with what you said. You can "Bulk" up quick but you won't put on muscle and bulking quickly would most likely lead to excess fat. Building muscle is a slow and long process.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Creatine just help your muscles retain water so the spike in weight you see on the scale isn't an actual increase in weight if that makes sense.
    Indeed it does, never known anyone to actually see a "spike" in weight on creatine though. People might see a bit of strength increase from the bit of intramuscular water-retention you might get (similar to how certain steroids increase strength quickly and to a much greater degree of course), but as you nodded towards it's hardly a necessary supplement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Indeed it does, never known anyone to actually see a "spike" in weight on creatine though. People might see a bit of strength increase from the bit of intramuscular water-retention you might get (similar to how certain steroids increase strength quickly and to a much greater degree of course), but as you nodded towards it's hardly a necessary supplement.

I use a hardgainer and it works okay despite the rough taste. What are your thoughts on Maltodextrin? I've been looking at it as a carb supplement. Is it worth it or will the sugar just ruin my blood/hormone system? I've put on about 2 kg in about 5 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    I use a hardgainer and it works okay despite the rough taste. What are your thoughts on Maltodextrin? I've been looking at it as a carb supplement. Is it worth it or will the sugar just ruin my blood/hormone system? I've put on about 2 kg in about 5 weeks.
    It's good intra or post workout as it's very fast absorbing, other than that you might as well just have sugar. The 2kg in 5 weeks is down to caloric intake though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    You're fine in giving that advice, however what you've said about creatine is wrong - it's a debatable product as to whether it actually works; it increases the amount of water your muscle holds and can increase your strength a little and may give you a slight improvement over time when using it in addition to making gains conventionally
    Also mass gainers are an absolute rip off for the most part
    Very true, it gives a false impression of weight for the most part.

Also true, OP seemed insistent on using supps, best things I could offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)

Creatine just gives you water retention as well as some negligible weight gains.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just eat regular food. Not many people need to worry about intra workout food. Post workout absorbtion isn't really a big deal either as long as you're eating food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    It's good intra or post workout as it's very fast absorbing, other than that you might as well just have sugar. The 2kg in 5 weeks is down to caloric intake though.
    How can you be sure of that?

ReputationRep:
    How can you be sure of that?
    It could be a little water gain if you've consumed a lot of sodium for example, but in terms of actual fat gain, whether the carbs are high GI (quick digesting e.g. sugars) or low GI (slow digesting e.g. oats) is irrelevant. The body takes carbohydrates and converts them to glucose for a variety of uses; the GI content affects absorption time which can affect various things, but the level of fat gain isn't one of those things. You'll get a certain amount of glucose from 25g of carbohydrates and regardless of whether they're fast or slow ingesting, the body still gets the same amount of glucose as an end result and, in short, either utilises it or stores it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.