Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At cardiff uni.

I think I have to do a masters because I am in a really bad university now but will likely get a first if not a 2:1.

I speak Mandarin really well, level 5 of 6. That is my big selling point, and I lived, worked and studied in China for two years.

My dream career would be to help UK firms expand abroad in China. I have self-taught myself all the ins and outs of chinese trade law and business law.

I am looking at the masters on offer at cardiff and I have no idea where to start. The only work experience I have in the UK is various retail jobs because of my isolated location, so I chose Cardiff as I thought I might be able to do some internships whilst doing the masters.

But I have no idea which masters to pick... there are so many and I'm trying to keep tuition costs below 7,000 which makes:

International Relations (£6250)
    Interenational transport (£6800)
    International manegement (£8000, but £5000 if I got the scholarship)

seem like the best 3 for me. But I really have no idea.

I have nobody to discuss these things with, right now I'm just finishing my degree and working in retail to save up money, again because of my location (far west wales) there isn't much else here...

But I don't want to be stuck in retail forever.

Any ideas?

thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Don't do a masters just to make up for a bad undergrad grade or what you may consider a bad uni. Does your dream career or what you want to do need one? In order to work out which masters to pick you need to have a look at course structures and work out which ones work best for you. Then contact the unis and see if you meet the entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Don't do a masters just to make up for a bad undergrad grade or what you may consider a bad uni. Does your dream career or what you want to do need one? In order to work out which masters to pick you need to have a look at course structures and work out which ones work best for you. Then contact the unis and see if you meet the entry requirements.
    why not? doing a good masters in a good uni seems the best way to make up for attending a low rank during undergrad.

And yeah, I do meet the entry requirements, most masters only ask for a 2:1.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomtang)
    why not? doing a good masters in a good uni seems the best way to make up for attending a low rank during undergrad.

And yeah, I do meet the entry requirements, most masters only ask for a 2:1.
    You don't need to 'make up' for anything. Unless you attend any absolutely terrible uni (which one are you at, out of curiosity?) or your career plans require it, you may not necessarily be better off with a masters degree. All I'm saying is that it's a massive investment and finance is clearly a worry for you so have a good think about whether you actually need it or not.

That's great! You're on the right track then. I know what masters requirements are but you said you didn't know where to start in your OP so I gave you some advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    You don't need to 'make up' for anything. Unless you attend any absolutely terrible uni (which one are you at, out of curiosity?) or your career plans require it, you may not necessarily be better off with a masters degree. All I'm saying is that it's a massive investment and finance is clearly a worry for you so have a good think about whether you actually need it or not.

That's great! You're on the right track then. I know what masters requirements are but you said you didn't know where to start in your OP so I gave you some advice
    yeah, sorry, I came off as a bit of a passive aggressive type there. Trinity Wales, it's closest to my home so I went there. it's only just appeared in the league table

I think the career I want would want some good academic qualifications, especially as I know I have the information I just need more tangible papers to prove I know what I know...

ReputationRep:
    A few important points :

1) Academia and employers are far less bothered the name of the Uni than most people think. So there is no point in doing a Masters just to make your Cv look fancier. A First or a 2i is all that is required for most jobs - 'which Uni' really is not important.

2) Masters cost a great deal of money and this is unlikely to make any difference to your employability or potential earnings. You will still be viewed as 'a new graduate with no experience' and have to start at the bottom.

3) Masters degrees are a hugely different experience than an an undergrad degree. You have to really want to do the study. And if you are choosing a course purely on cost that suggests that you want the 'medal' rather than the experience of intensive study of that specific course.

You would be far better off just graduating, getting a job (especially since you have usable language skills), and working for a few years, then doing a Masters degree if you then think there is any point.

ReputationRep:
    Employers are going to judge you by everything other than the name of the uni you attended. They're going to judge you on the subject you did, your covering letter and degree grade. Possibly in that order give or take a bit.

As far as I can see nothing needs to be rectified. There are lots of reasons to do a masters but that ain't one of them.

ReputationRep:
    From what you've said in this thread OP you don't need to do a masters, you need a job.

You might want to think twice about putting something like 'I have self-taught myself all the ins and outs of chinese trade law and business law' on your CV though. Well done if you actually have, but I doubt anyone could self-teach that in sufficient depth.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.