Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the cheapest method of travelling to Canary Wharf (going from zone 4 to 2)? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a good chance of working there for 6 months but I'm trying to minimise how much it costs to commute. I have two options thought out, but is there a better third option?

The two closest stations to my house are Barking station and Goodmayes station (zone 4). The place I work is a minute from the Canary Wharf station (zone 2)

method 1: zone 2-4 travel card - £103 a month
    bus to barking, then barking to west ham (via district/hammersmith), then west ham to canary wharf (via jubilee)
    travel time: about 40 minutes from experience

method 2: zone 3-4 travel card - £93.40 a month
    bus to barking, then barking to west ham (via district/hammersmith), then west ham to canning town (via jubilee), then canning town to west india (via dlr), then take the bus (277 according to google)
    travel time: about 60 minutes in theory (never used dlr, nor went to east india, nor used 277 bus)

i save £58 over 6 months with method 2, but also waste 80 EXTRA hours of my life (if that) on travel because of the extra 20 minutes to and from

I can also get the bus to goodmayes station and get the overground to stratford, then get the jubilee (and again either use method 1 or 2). Never timed it, but roughly the same times as using Barking station I believe

ReputationRep:
    If you're working in canary wharf I presume it'll be a fairly well paid job so for the amount of time saved I'd take the first option

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frances98)
    If you're working in canary wharf I presume it'll be a fairly well paid job so for the amount of time saved I'd take the first option

Posted from TSR Mobile
    not well paid, just average (by outside london student grad standards)

I'm leaning toward method 1 given the simplicity + the fact that I've used it before but then I'm not sure about sacrificing £58

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00100101)
    I have a good chance of working there for 6 months but I'm trying to minimise how much it costs to commute. I have two options thought out, but is there a better third option?

The two closest stations to my house are Barking station and Goodmayes station (zone 4). The place I work is a minute from the Canary Wharf station (zone 2)

method 1: zone 2-4 travel card - £103 a month
    bus to barking, then barking to west ham (via district/hammersmith), then west ham to canary wharf (via jubilee)
    travel time: about 40 minutes from experience

method 2: zone 3-4 travel card - £93.40 a month
    bus to barking, then barking to west ham (via district/hammersmith), then west ham to canning town (via jubilee), then canning town to west india (via dlr), then take the bus (277 according to google)
    travel time: about 60 minutes in theory (never used dlr, nor went to west india, nor used 277 bus)

i save £58 over 6 months with method 2, but also waste 80 EXTRA hours of my life (if that) on travel because of the extra 20 minutes to and from

I can also get the bus to goodmayes station and get the overground to stratford, then get the jubilee (and again either use method 1 or 2). Never timed it, but roughly the same times as using Barking station I believe
    For method 2, do you mean West India Quay, or East India? Either way it doesn't work; West India Quay is zone 2 so you can't do it on a 3-4 travelcard and East India is close enough to Canning Town that you almost may as well just walk it rather than waiting for the DLR. Plus that's a crappy route. Many changes and different lines, so you're in a mess if any of buses/district/jubilee/DLR etc are broken that day.

Bear in mind as well that if you're trying to get on the Jubilee westbound at West Ham / Canning Town / North Greenwich at about 8.30 in the morning, you could stand there watching four or five packed trains go past before you get on one 10-15 minutes later.

I'd probably go Goodmayes -> Stratford -> Jubilee line.

ReputationRep:
    Option 1.

The simpler and shorter the commute, the better.

ReputationRep:
    not well paid, just average (by outside london student grad standards)

I'm leaning toward method 1 given the simplicity + the fact that I've used it before but then I'm not sure about sacrificing £58
    I personally think it would be worth the extra just as other people have said for the simplicity of it if not anything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    For method 2, do you mean West India Quay, or East India? Either way it doesn't work; West India Quay is zone 2 so you can't do it on a 3-4 travelcard and East India Quay is close enough to Canning Town that you almost may as well just walk it rather than waiting for the DLR. Plus that's a crappy route.

Bear in mind as well that if you're trying to get on the Jubilee westbound at West Ham / Canning Town / North Greenwich at about 8.30 in the morning, you could stand there watching four or five packed trains go past before you get on one 10-15 minutes later.

I'd probably go Goodmayes -> Stratford -> Jubilee line.
    my bad, yes East India. I haven't been to East India/ Canning Town. i was looking at google maps and there seems to be a direct bus from East India but not Canning Town. Is it not a 30 minute walk from Canning Town to East India?

I know the district/hammersmith gets packed when it gets to East Ham, so the Goodmayes route may be the better option (although I make it a habit to get to the front of the district/hammersmith train before it gets to East Ham, that way I'll be one of the first to get on to the Jubilee-most number of trains I've missed is one)

ReputationRep:
    my bad, yes East India. I haven't been to East India/ Canning Town. i was looking at google maps and there seems to be a direct bus from East India but not Canning Town. Is it not a 30 minute walk from Canning Town to East India?
    No, Google Maps lies. Northwest out of Canning Town, west on the A13 (there's a big cycle path there with approximately no cyclists, so it's not like you're walking on the road), footpath by Bow Creek onto the roundabout and then 200 yards to the station. 10 minutes is nearer the mark. 15 if you have short legs and a lot of shopping.

I know the district/hammersmith gets packed when it gets to East Ham, so the Goodmayes route may be the better option (although I make it a habit to get to the front of the district/hammersmith train before it gets to East Ham, that way I'll be one of the first to get on to the Jubilee-most number of trains I've missed is one)
    Front is better but you've still got the possibility that it's basically 100% full by the time it even leaves Stratford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frances98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    agreed
    Name:  c8.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  45.0 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.