Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sharing a bed with a female friend Watch

Announcements

I have a very good female friend who is coming to visit my university (I study in London, she studies in Glasgow), she is staying at mine for four nights, within this time we will be , touring London, going out, drinking etc. I am slightly worried, that as we will be sharing the same bed (my sofa is not comfy in the slightest), that 'things' may happen. She is a very flirty drunk and honestly when I am drunk I am a bit of an idiot to say the least. I am attracted to her, however I do not want to impact our friendship.

What do I do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a very good female friend who is coming to visit my university (I study in London, she studies in Glasgow), she is staying at mine for four nights, within this time we will be , touring London, going out, drinking etc. I am slightly worried, that as we will be sharing the same bed (my sofa is not comfy in the slightest), that 'things' may happen. She is a very flirty drunk and honestly when I am drunk I am a bit of an idiot to say the least. I am attracted to her, however I do not want to impact our friendship.

What do I do
    Well they say drunk people are the most honest....

Nah seriously like make her sleep on the sofa, lie some cushions on the floor next to your bed so she can sleep there or just sleep with clothes on or something. If it happens it happens, I've shared beds with male friends before and things have happened and our friendship is still exactly the same.

(Original post by liquity)
    Well they say drunk people are the most honest....

Nah seriously like make her sleep on the sofa, lie some cushions on the floor next to your bed so she can sleep there or just sleep with clothes on or something. If it happens it happens, I've shared beds with male friends before and things have happened and our friendship is still exactly the same.
    I will probably just give her the bed for herself really. Well at least I know it may not impact things too much but I am wary (we've both just come out of relationships)....

ReputationRep:
    I will probably just give her the bed for herself really. Well at least I know it may not impact things too much but I am wary (we've both just come out of relationships)....
    Yes I suppose that would be the polite thing to do. If it happens when you're drunk you don't really have to worry about it, it's probably just a release of sexual frustration or something. If it happens when you're sober you're more likely to have a problem as to what it means. But yeah I can see why it would be nasty if you've both just come out of relationships, I suggest in that case that you do not sleep in the same bed because that might feel very relationshippy and these things you don't want to happen might complicate things!

(Original post by liquity)
    Yes I suppose that would be the polite thing to do. If it happens when you're drunk you don't really have to worry about it, it's probably just a release of sexual frustration or something. If it happens when you're sober you're more likely to have a problem as to what it means. But yeah I can see why it would be nasty if you've both just come out of relationships, I suggest in that case that you do not sleep in the same bed because that might feel very relationshippy and these things you don't want to happen might complicate things!
    Thank you for the advice. I am not expecting anything to happen, as I do believe both genders can be friends with out feelings. It's just my housemates winding me up about it, making me think.

Cheers and hopefully things wont be complicated.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice. I am not expecting anything to happen, as I do believe both genders can be friends with out feelings. It's just my housemates winding me up about it, making me think.

Cheers and hopefully things wont be complicated.
    Oh yeah of course they can, I have a good group of friends of an equal number of males and females and it's totally fine and no feelings are involved, just in 'intimate' situations like that I can see why things can get kind of complicated. But I wish you all the best and try not to overthink it, just have a good time with your friend in London!

just curious. has anyone else had experiences like this?

ReputationRep:
    I share a bed with my best female friend sometimes. I have feelings for her and she knows it. We're often drunk, but I have never tried anything and never will because I know she isn't interested in me.

If I were in your situation I would sleep in the same bed as her if she doesn't mind. But if you're really worried about your friendship just sleep in two different beds.

ReputationRep:
    Sleep with her. Cuddle and enjoy each other's warmth. Why not?

ReputationRep:
    just curious. has anyone else had experiences like this?
    I've slept in beds with female friends without anything happening. But it sounds like it could be quite a risk for you, so I would avoid it just to be safe.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.