The Student Room Group

So many people on TSR achieve A*s or A grades...

like so many but when the figures comes out for GCSE and A Level results, it never seems to add up. I've always been curious.
Not every single GCSE student is on TSR
Reply 2
not all GCSE students use TSR

and not EVERYONE gets A*s on here anyway (take me for example x'D)
I don't think TSR is an accurate representation of GCSE performance nationally
and don't forget how easy it is to lie on the internet...
What everyone said above… A lot of people are going to be happy to talk about their "good" grades and not so happy talking about their "bad" grades… so there's a lot more of us without A*/As than you might think! A lot of people keep it private. :h:
I've always wondered why TSR has a disproportionate amount of people who gain A* and A's (and it does seem to) - I suppose you could say more academically motivated individuals are more likely to seek out TSR and that leads to it, but c'mon, we're in the Chat thread right now, TSR stopped being about academics for a lot of people a long time ago. :laugh:

As well as this, it's important to note that the amount of students who achieve A* and A's isn't as disproportionate as you would believe - if you look around, you'll see a lot of people who don't have those grades, they just don't seem to be showcased as much.
Reply 5
Interesting posts, makes sense. I've always felt dumb compared to everyone else. It's been so overwhelming when I've opened an AS mock thread and everyone is already achieving A grades.
Reply 6
Original post by Rhythmical
Interesting posts, makes sense. I've always felt dumb compared to everyone else. It's been so overwhelming when I've opened an AS mock thread and everyone is already achieving A grades.

Yes. I feel you. That thread is depressing to read. I thought everybody else was meant to be in the same boat floating around at D/E grades atm.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Nettled
Yes. I feel you. That thread is depressing to read. I thought everybody else was in the same boat floating around at D/E grades atm.

I achieve D, borderline C grades so I'm not failing but neither am I doing amazingly well. I've improved massively so hopefully will achieve A grades next year but how do most people achieve A*s and 90% UMS because all I see on threads these days is everyone achieving amazingly well.
Reply 8
Original post by Rhythmical
I achieve D, borderline C grades so I'm not failing but neither am I doing amazingly well. I've improved massively so hopefully will achieve A grades next year but how do most people achieve A*s and 90% UMS because all I see on threads these days is everyone achieving amazingly well.

Highest I've got so far is a C and even then I think my teacher marked way too nicely and the boundaries were for some reason higher :/

Other than that I've managed to get D,E's and U's. Kinda worried as we're so close to exams. What subjects do you study?
Reply 9
Original post by Nettled
Highest I've got so far is a C and even then I think my teacher marked way too nicely and the boundaries were for some reason higher :/

Other than that I've managed to get D,E's and U's. Kinda worried as we're so close to exams. What subjects do you study?

I'm studying an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media and I'm achieving high grades for that so I don't bother with that. And English Literature and English Language. I aim to study an English BA next year hopefully. You?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply