Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M372 - Motion on English lessons for immigrants Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Surprised this is from the greens, or that it is green rather than the author for that matter. Having read the first sentence or two I shall give it a provisional aye until I read it in full and sober.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The basic idea of this actually is in the RL Green manifesto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    It's not illegal to not assimilate or not speak English in the UK. Those people can be parents of capable immigrants who would then group themselves into small communities.
    It's not illegal but it is reprehensible and it should certainly not be incentivised.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The basic idea of this actually is in the RL Green manifesto.
    Do youthink i read the green manifesto? I read the whole of the labour one and skimmed the tory one to see how wet it was to make electoral sense. For the rest i just watched the Torygraph 60s semmaries (well, Idid that for all of them, but i would say largely irrelevant for tory and labour yiven actually reading them, in fact making the official TSR threadfor at least one guven the CT hadn't made it by mid afternoon in the day of publication)

ReputationRep:
    Do youthink i read the green manifesto? I read the whole of the labour one and skimmed the tory one to see how wet it was to make electoral sense. For the rest i just watched the Torygraph 60s semmaries (well, Idid that for all of them, but i would say largely irrelevant for tory and labour yiven actually reading them, in fact making the official TSR threadfor at least one guven the CT hadn't made it by mid afternoon in the day of publication)
    I don't. But you said you were surprised this came from the Greens but not just from me, I told you why it shouldn't have been surprising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    It's not illegal but it is reprehensible and it should certainly not be incentivised.
    So you mean to punish people for not being able to speak English, the way to do it is to let them continue with not being to speak English? In other words, you are perfectly fine with immigrants forming ghettos where they wouldn't even be able to understand police instructions?

People who get in on a work visa will not be people who need these lessons. I have repeatedly mentioned that people who need this will most likely be people the UK cannot deport, such as refugees and parents of capable immigrants. Or spouse of Britons.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a solid concept so long as it's not a step to full assimilation
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay, they should pay

ReputationRep:
    Nativeness has always been an overrated concept. An eight-year-old native speaker of English is unlikely to be better at the language than skilled adults who learn it as an additional language. I know native speakers of languages who completely forgot their native languages because they immigrated to another country.

Also, self-identified native speakers here are probably people like Singaporeans or children of native speakers of English who were born and raised in countries where English is not the dominant language. Or children of immigrants, grew up in English-speaking countries but in a household where English is not spoken. Or those who were simply born in an English-speaking country and went to international schools instead. I've personally taught a London-born pupil who doesn't really speak English and a Mexico-born pupil, who actually spent most of his life in Spanish-speaking countries, who doesn't really speak Spanish.

Or they are very young.
    Fair enough, I didn't think about it this way, but my understanding was that the objective was to test the reliability of the testing procedure in which case one needs to use subjects who are as similar to each other as possible in order to maximise the effects of variables which are related to their grading methods and differences between multiple tests rather than the participants so using people from very different backgrounds would be contrary to the point.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I like it, gg Greens.

Aye.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Surprised this is from the greens, or that it is green rather than the author for that matter. Having read the first sentence or two I shall give it a provisional aye until I read it in full and sober.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's the surprise for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

I will only vote for this if it is conjunction with a bill prohibiting anybody without proof of English from entering the UK, hence we'd only be cleaning up the ones let in already.

As T said, we should drawing more immigrants from the Anglosphere and less from the third world horde that some people on here want to allow in.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is still a case of allowing anyone in but giving an optional lesson in English; only allowing in migrants who speak English would solve the problem.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstain, I do feel that it should be down to them, but then again I appreciate the sentiment of this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    When exactly would these lessons happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    When exactly would these lessons happen?
    The two hours a week can be offered in the daytime or evening, and I would support both to reflect different working patterns and other responsibilities.

I welcome the support of the Government Secretary of State and others in the House.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    M371 - Motion on English lessons for immigrants, TSR Green Party
    Motion on English lessons for immigrants, TSR Green Party

This House believes in the importance of assimilating immigrants and that language barrier is often one of the biggest obstacles to successful assimilation.

Therefore, this House urges Her Majesty's Government to offer free lessons on English as an additional language to new immigrants and asylum seekers with an overall IELTS band score of 5.0 or below (speaking band score 5.5 or below). The classes should take place in existing schools, community centres, churches, or any other venue that is accessible by public transport in the evening and the weekends, for at least once a week, two hours per session, streamed by participants' level of proficiency, with a class size not bigger than 20. Learners shall graduate upon achieving at least an IELTS band score of 5.5 or above (speaking band score 6.0 or above) in a quarterly assessment.

The courses should be conducted by qualified teachers who have been trained to teach English as an additional language.

Note: The usual English proficiency requirement for undergraduate entry in the United Kingdom is between an IELTS band score of 6.0 and 7.0. The average band score for self-identified native speakers of English who took the test in 2014 was 6.9 with a 7.1 in speaking.
    http://www.ielts.org/researchers/ana...ance_2014.aspx
    I think they should learn basic english to get on a plane to England even if its a holiday
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHelpfulMan)
    I think they should learn basic english to get on a plane to England even if its a holiday
    I'm sure all our hold makers would love the prospect of learning all sorts of languages to go on holiday...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure all our hold makers would love the prospect of learning all sorts of languages to go on holiday...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    most nations in europe know english anyway
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHelpfulMan)
    most nations in europe know english anyway
    And?

I'm trying to think how many languages I would know if the policy of having to know at least one official language were enacted globally.
    Arabic
    Sinhalese or Tamil
    French
    German
    Italian
    Russian
    Dhivehi
    Dutch
    Catalan
    Finnish or Swedish

I think that might be a full list but I'm not certain, I have also omitted anything with no official language, nor official language where another would at the time of visiting have been known. English only covers about a quarter of nations, and bar the US and Canada, there is rather limited overlap with popular destinations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And?

I'm trying to think how many languages I would know if the policy of having to know at least one official language were enacted globally.
    Arabic
    Sinhalese or Tamil
    French
    German
    Italian
    Russian
    Dhivehi
    Dutch
    Catalan
    Finnish or Swedish

I think that might be a full list but I'm not certain, I have also omitted anything with no official language, nor official language where another would at the time of visiting have been known. English only covers about a quarter of nations, and bar the US and Canada, there is rather limited overlap with popular destinations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a one way entity. If people want to come here just on a holiday they should know very basic words. If your trying to flip the argument to say we should learn other languages - that would be up to other countries to implement

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.