Rosiematlouth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
Just a quick post. I'm looking into applying for the Open Uni, seems like the best thing for me since I hate the idea of actual university, getting drunk every night and eating like crap!
So, I'm looking into courses and not rushing into anything. Just wondering if anyone could give me info, such as applying deadlines, paying back and extra costs. Also, anything else I may need to know.
Thanks in advance!!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
Do you have a degree in mind? You don't need to apply to do an OU course, you just register online or by phone. Registration for the 15/16 academic year has closed, but you should be able to register for modules starting in October in the spring. You can take out a student loan to pay for your OU degree. You repay 9% of your income over £21,000, if you earn under that you don't repay anything. This article might be worth reading. There aren't really any extra costs, they send you all the textbooks you need; some modules ask students to buy a few extra books/DVDs but you can get these from libraries. Check out the Open University forum.

You don't have to drink/live like a slob at conventional universities by the way!

Here are a few videos which might be helpful/informative:

SuperCat007
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rosiematlouth)
Hi,
Just a quick post. I'm looking into applying for the Open Uni, seems like the best thing for me since I hate the idea of actual university, getting drunk every night and eating like crap!
So, I'm looking into courses and not rushing into anything. Just wondering if anyone could give me info, such as applying deadlines, paying back and extra costs. Also, anything else I may need to know.
Thanks in advance!!
Just go on the OU website and see what they offer. Registration hasn't started for October 2016 yet (I think it opens in February), but you just register as you go along. It's best to choose a degree from the start, so you don't deviate from the course plan, but you could also register for the Open Degree as well where you can do any modules you want to.

As Snuffkin said, university isn't like that because you are in control of your own life, if you don't do that at home, you don't have to do it at uni; and not everyone does.

Extra costs are obviously living costs which aren't funded if you study with the OU, but you do get a maintenance loan if you study full time at a 'normal' uni. So that is something to factor into your research.

You don't apply through UCAS so you could start in October. I'd advise to always start in October as February starts are being phased out, so you may end up with either having to do loads of modules one year, or half a year with not much to study. But every module has an October start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads