The Student Room Group

No qualifications at age of 17 because of mental health issues. What should I do?

I'll explain first.
I moved here year ago. It was beginning of the Year 11. (I was born in 1998). I've been struggling with depression for past three years. I was home schooled back in my country. Unfortunately, my father got promotion and we had to move. Like I mentioned before it was beginning of Year 11. I was advised not to go to school the year I moved here because it was last year of secondary education and the exams. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it at that time because I was affected by the fact we moved etc. I struggle, there are periods when I'm okay and live normal life but also there are days when I can't leave the house and therefore I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate enough so I can pass the exams. I waited. I'm okay at the moment. I'm getting the help I need. My life really changed and so did I. But I'm 17. And this is the time when I should be studying. I should be doing my A Levels right now. But I haven't even got GCSEs.
I would need an advice. What should I do? Or rather what can I do? What are the possibilities?
Can I still do GCSEs this year? Or
Should I do GCSEs next year? (I'll be 18 in October)
If so, what I need to know? Etc.
What after GCSEs?
OR IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE THAN GCSES?
I heard there's Level 2? For example LCF Diploma in Art & Design? Then there's Level 3.
Can someone explain it to me?
I want to study Fashion Journalism. My dream would be to get accepted to study at LCF. But right now, I feel like it's impossible. I'm so far behind. But I try to stay positive.
So I'm asking anyone who could help me, explain it all to me and sort of show me what are the possibilities.
Anyone?
Getting to do English and Maths GCSE shouldn't be too difficult as sixth forms do that as everyone has to pass it so many now have to retake. There are also in some areas opportunities for other GCSEs in night classes though I know nothing about them beyond they exist (or at least I'm pretty sure you can do GCSEs not just A levels). You would probably be the youngest on them though.
If you're self motivated then any 100% exam subjects you can completely cover yourself at home if you can find an exam centre that will take you to do the exam. Anything with coursework would be more difficult as most coursework is done in lesson time which you clearly don't have. I've no clue what is the way around this but I'm sure someone else will come along and help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by whateverprincess
I'll explain first.
I moved here year ago. It was beginning of the Year 11. (I was born in 1998). I've been struggling with depression for past three years. I was home schooled back in my country. Unfortunately, my father got promotion and we had to move. Like I mentioned before it was beginning of Year 11. I was advised not to go to school the year I moved here because it was last year of secondary education and the exams. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it at that time because I was affected by the fact we moved etc. I struggle, there are periods when I'm okay and live normal life but also there are days when I can't leave the house and therefore I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate enough so I can pass the exams. I waited. I'm okay at the moment. I'm getting the help I need. My life really changed and so did I. But I'm 17. And this is the time when I should be studying. I should be doing my A Levels right now. But I haven't even got GCSEs.
I would need an advice. What should I do? Or rather what can I do? What are the possibilities?
Can I still do GCSEs this year? Or
Should I do GCSEs next year? (I'll be 18 in October)
If so, what I need to know? Etc.
What after GCSEs?
OR IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE THAN GCSES?
I heard there's Level 2? For example LCF Diploma in Art & Design? Then there's Level 3.
Can someone explain it to me?
I want to study Fashion Journalism. My dream would be to get accepted to study at LCF. But right now, I feel like it's impossible. I'm so far behind. But I try to stay positive.
So I'm asking anyone who could help me, explain it all to me and sort of show me what are the possibilities.

When I read your post, I questioned whether or not it was one of mine.

I'm 17 in April. Due to mental health, I'm in a further education college doing Maths and English Language GCSEs with a level 1 course.

I am the most optimistic person I know, and after so many problems relating to mental health, I got over it. No more anxiety or depression - it is now like I never even had it.

I have a lot of knowledge about the education system and our society's approach to it.

Important things to remember:

1: You do not need a qualified teacher to do a course. There are so many different online course providers, many of which offer paper-based resources as well and 12-month access to a private tutor. This WILL be enough on top of your intelligence and insightful mind to get brilliant grades.

2: You do not need to be a student at a school or a college or anywhere to get qualified. Some schools, particularly private schools, allow anyone to sit exams with them at a charge.

Here's my advice:
You should definitely do GCSEs. Most of the top-performing schools require their students to do:

Mathematics
English Language
English Literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History or Geography
Modern Foreign Language

You can do all of these online and you can pay to sit them at local schools.
Now, not all schools let you pay them to sit exams, and most of the ones that do only allow you to do so for subjects which are just exam-based. So, if there is coursework in an English GCSE or a controlled assessment in a Chemistry GCSE, you may not be able to do it, and even if you can, it'll be very hard and expensive. Thankfully, you can take IGCSEs. These are mostly offered by private schools, due to their emphasis on exams and international recognition. Most schools which accept private candidates are private, which is only good because their curriculum are normally brilliant, so you'll have a lot of options. But, the more you choose, you more you'll have to pay - for exams and for the online courses. If you a brilliant at some subjects, you might be able to do them on your own. I would be able to completely self-teach maths and foreign languages, but not english or history. It's down to individuality.

Subjects you can't sit as a private candidate include:

Art and Design
Music
Drama
Dance
PE
Design and Technology

There may be a couple more. But you can sit Maths, English, Sciences, History, Geography, all languages, RE, ICT, Compuer Science, Classical Civilisation and so many more.

You should spend 180 - 240 hrs per GCSE, depending on your ability. Just divide this throughout the year to workout how many to do. It's quite simple. You can sit exams in May/June every year. Do them all over two years and sit them all at once, or break it up so you do half in one year and half in the next. Even do it over three years!! It's so flexible and you have power over your own curriculum.

After doing research, I've learned so much about all of this. I know a a lot about a levels and universities as well.

Please respond to me if you wish to progress further on this issue. I would love to help you.

Quick Reply

Latest