Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is inequality more of an issue now due to social media? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is inequality more of an issue now due to social media?

Since some people can't help but show off and since we're so interconnected. Or is it genuinely a bigger issue than that.

Some people might just be faking grandeur online btw............

ReputationRep:
    My persona is a designer one, just like my apparel. I adhere to the fashion principle of prestige. My education did not endow me with knowledge, it provided me credentials. My occupation is a title which proclaims me to be of superior intellect and class. My choice of vehicle is not a means of transportation, it is an indication of status. My home is a statement that says “access granted”, and the groups to which I am a member, are strictly exclusive.

Social media is my fountain head from which I am able to spew an incessant barrage of narcissistic drivel. Upon this canvas, self indulgent pictures and status updates become my palate. Arm extended to the precise angle, quality of lighting accounted for, presentation of my best features through calculated orientation, obtaining the most ideal perspective is the perfection of the “selfie”. Mine are always documented at exotic locations, desirable situations, and flattering representations. Like a graffiti artist compelled to seek recognition, my digital billboard states, “I was there”. The only difference is my acts of vandalism are less discreet and more obscene. My art is now exhibited to the accommodating masses who reward me with the validation in the form of comments and likes.

If inequality didn't exist then privilege wouldn't exist. I'd prefer to live in a world with both than suffer a world without the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    My persona is a designer one, just like my apparel. I adhere to the fashion principle of prestige. My education did not endow me with knowledge, it provided me credentials. My occupation is a title which proclaims me to be of superior intellect and class. My choice of vehicle is not a means of transportation, it is an indication of status. My home is a statement that says “access granted”, and the groups to which I am a member, are strictly exclusive.

Social media is my fountain head from which I am able to spew an incessant barrage of narcissistic drivel. Upon this canvas, self indulgent pictures and status updates become my palate. Arm extended to the precise angle, quality of lighting accounted for, presentation of my best features through calculated orientation, obtaining the most ideal perspective is the perfection of the “selfie”. Mine are always documented at exotic locations, desirable situations, and flattering representations. Like a graffiti artist compelled to seek recognition, my digital billboard states, “I was there”. The only difference is my acts of vandalism are less discreet and more obscene. My art is now exhibited to the accommodating masses who reward me with the validation in the form of comments and likes.

If inequality didn't exist then privilege wouldn't exist. I'd prefer to live in a world with both than suffer a world without the latter.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post53400767

Lol

ReputationRep:
    Yea so I reposted something I had previously posted. Whats so funny about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Is inequality more of an issue now due to social media?

Since some people can't help but show off and since we're so interconnected. Or is it genuinely a bigger issue than that.

Some people might just be faking grandeur online btw............
    There's literally no inequality in countries where you have full unlimited access to social medias so not a clue what you're on about tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Yea so I reposted something I had previously posted. Whats so funny about that?
    You didn't bother to notice that the source and the post are from the same user did you? No plagiarism = no foul, silly you. Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falseprofit)
    You didn't bother to notice that the source and the post are from the same user did you? No plagiarism = no foul, silly you. Lol
    Of course I noticed. Nowhere did I imply that the user in question is plagiarising. I merely found it amusing.

Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    Of course I noticed. Nowhere did I imply that the user in question is plagiarising. I merely found it amusing.

Lol
    Im not sure reposting something from one discussion into another (when the subject is relevant) is amusing, but whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falseprofit)
    Im not sure reposting something from one discussion into another (when the subject is relevant) is amusing, but whatever.
    I found it amusing. Sue me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    There's literally no inequality in countries where you have full unlimited access to social medias so not a clue what you're on about tbh.
    I'm assuming this is some odd joke?

ReputationRep:
    So many people are just faking it online, but I think it does cause issues because people end up with expectations that don't even exist.

I remember reading a story about a couple, one of whom was a model, who became instagram stars. A lot of the hype was around some holiday photos in LA where they went skydiving and had a big villa with a pool and drove around in limos and stuff. Apparently it cost them around $15k. For that I've travelled for 6 months to 6 different countries. Sure, it may not look as bling on instagram, but I know which I'd rather do.

The really weren't all that rich; that was their one holiday for the year pretty much, but they made out like it was their standard lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    I'm assuming this is some odd joke?
    Talk about the fabricated inequalities in the Western world then - go on.

Since they don't exist, this should be fun.

ReputationRep:
    Talk about the fabricated inequalities in the Western world then - go on.

Since they don't exist, this should be fun.
    Education is the obvious easy target. Are you going to claim that everyone gets an equal chance to a top class education in the UK?

Also there are many countries outside the western world with access to social media. Is there equality across such nations?

ReputationRep:
    Education is the obvious easy target. Are you going to claim that everyone gets an equal chance to a top class education in the UK?

Also there are many countries outside the western world with access to social media. Is there equality across such nations?
    I'm so happy you chose education :lol: Read this:

Yes, I come from a crappy background, neither parents achieved anything (not even GCSE's), had me in their teens, I live with one parent, go to a rubbish comprehensive school (basically just my local school), I'm in receipt of full value bursaries in every field, and I'm carer for my mum and 2 brothers. Guess what, I have an offer from Cambridge. Suck on that FACT. And plenty of privately educated people had much better scores than me, but got rejected. Is that "top class" enough for you?

You realise you've lost this argument, so you move to the eastern world. Well, luckily for you, I said "Western World".

ReputationRep:
    I'm so happy you chose education :lol: Read this:

Yes, I come from a crappy background, neither parents achieved anything (not even GCSE's), had me in their teens, I live with one parent, go to a rubbish comprehensive school (basically just my local school), I'm in receipt of full value bursaries in every field, and I'm carer for my mum and 2 brothers. Guess what, I have an offer from Cambridge. Suck on that FACT. And plenty of privately educated people had much better scores than me, but got rejected. Is that "top class" enough for you?

You realise you've lost this argument, so you move to the eastern world. Well, luckily for you, I said "Western World".
    Yes, luckly for me your orginal point was equality among everyone that has access to social media.

I'm not going to suck on anything thank you. Obviously as with every situation there are excpetions, but that doesn't change the general trend.

If you'd rather another example in the western what about life expectancy? It can vary hugely within a country, let alone between countries.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, luckly for me your orginal point was equality among everyone that has access to social media.

I'm not going to suck on anything thank you. Obviously as with every situation there are excpetions, but that doesn't change the general trend.

If you'd rather another example in the western what about life expectancy? It can vary hugely within a country, let alone between countries.
    There's not inequality for University places - except a slight bias towards women for places I guess. Yeah if we have to settle for something let's go for that.

Yes because life expectancy is clearly because of inequalities in society, definitely not because of the variance in people's lifestyles :lol:

I'm getting the sense you're the troll here.

ReputationRep:
    There's not inequality for University places
    Sure, whatever you say. Also notice I said education, not university places.

Yes because life expectancy is clearly because of inequalities in society, definitely not because of the variance in people's lifestyles :lol:
    Ok, lets look at Italy and Croatia. Both places I've been recently; geographically and environmentally pretty similar, similar heritage, very similar lifestyles... You can expect to live almost 10% longer on average in Italy.

I'm getting the sense you're the troll here.
    Says the guy who's completely ignoring what his original statement was just to pick an argument.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, lets look at Italy and Croatia. Both places I've been recently; geographically and environmentally pretty similar, similar heritage, very similar lifestyles... You can expect to live almost 10% longer on average in Italy.
    The rest of your post was insults or agreeing with me so I cut it out.

What does living longer have to do with inequality? Are Croatians unequal to Italians now, I mean like what are you on about?

Perhaps, we just don't know the extent of it.

ReputationRep:

One of the best written posts I've seen in recent TSR history. I disagree with it, but beautiful writing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.