Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is inequality more of an issue now due to social media? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    The rest of your post was insults or agreeing with me so I cut it out.

What does living longer have to do with inequality? Are Croatians unequal to Italians now, I mean like what are you on about?
    Insults? I'm just trying to get back to the original point, which is whether or not their is equality between everyone with access to social media. I can only assume your refusal to do so is because you know you are wrong.

And living longer has a lot to do with equality. I'll let you google that bit for yourself though.

ReputationRep:
    hear hear

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't think so.
    I think people are able to express their individuality more now, thanks to social media.

Of course, there are still people who will follow what others do, but there are more people expressing their individuality, at least from what I've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Imagine thinking there's inequality in places like the UK :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Imagine thinking there's inequality in places like the UK :lol:
    God you're a terrible troll. I guess I should learn to not try and have a debate with someone who hasn't even made it to uni yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    God you're a terrible troll. I guess I should learn to not try and have a debate with someone who hasn't even made it to uni yet.
    God you're an annoying rude ****

Stalking my posts, insulting me, ignoring my arguments. Yet I'm the troll?

ReputationRep:
    God you're an annoying rude ****

Stalking my posts, insulting me, ignoring my arguments. Yet I'm the troll?
    Stalking your posts? I've only replied to you in this thread. I've addressed everyone one of you arguments, you've still failed to acknowledge what the original point even was, which is what I disagreed with.

Hey ho, like I say, should teach me for trying to have a reasoned debate with someone your age.

ReputationRep:
    Stalking your posts? I've only replied to you in this thread. I've addressed everyone one of you arguments, you've still failed to acknowledge what the original point even was, which is what I disagreed with.

Hey ho, like I say, should teach me for trying to have a reasoned debate with someone your age.
    Now you're just making things up, and justifying it with ageism. Nice.

ReputationRep:
    Now you're just making things up, and justifying it with ageism. Nice.

There's literally no inequality in countries where you have full unlimited access to social medias
    Well it's been amusing, I'll give you that, but I'd only give you around 4/10 on the trolling. You kept me talking to you for longer than I intended so I have to mark you up on that, but you really haven't been annoying, just bemusing, so sorry but I can't even give you an average mark.

ReputationRep:

Well it's been amusing, I'll give you that, but I'd only give you around 4/10 on the trolling. You kept me talking to you for longer than I intended so I have to mark you up on that, but you really haven't been annoying, just bemusing, so sorry but I can't even give you an average mark.
    So you ignore all my points, and attempt to belittle me. Come on man you're supposed to be the adult here.

Yes, there's no inequality. All you could come up with is education (which I'm a counter example to) and life expectancy (which has nothing to do with social or moral inequalities.) Saying life expectancy is an inequality is like saying there's inequalities in maths. It's nothing to do with people's judgement, opinions, the social construction of anything, or anything to do with inequality between people. We're all equal, life expectancy is just a random varience between human beings, based on many social and physical attributes/ occurences, some of which are out of our control, that it can't be deemed a problem with society.

ReputationRep:
    So you ignore all my points, and attempt to belittle me. Come on man you're supposed to be the adult here.

Yes, there's no inequality. All you could come up with is education (which I'm a counter example to) and life expectancy (which has nothing to do with social or moral inequalities.) Saying life expectancy is an inequality is like saying there's inequalities in maths. It's nothing to do with people's judgement, opinions, the social construction of anything, or anything to do with inequality between people. We're all equal, life expectancy is just a random varience between human beings, based on many social and physical attributes/ occurences, some of which are out of our control, that it can't be deemed a problem with society.
    I've addressed all your points. You're still failing to acknowledge what your initial point was.

Your one example is hardly enough evidence to prove that it isn't a general problem. Life expectancy is often used as an indication of inequality and I've provided an example where two countries, with everything else about as equal as they can be, have widely varying life expectancy. IIRC Italy also has a lower infant mortality rate. Please explain why this variance exists.

As for your last sentence: So you think someone in for instance Kenya has equal access to the same opportunities and quality of life as you do?

ReputationRep:
    I've addressed all your points. You're still failing to acknowledge what your initial point was.

Your one example is hardly enough evidence to prove that it isn't a general problem. Life expectancy is often used as an indication of inequality and I've provided an example where two countries, with everything else about as equal as they can be, have widely varying life expectancy. IIRC Italy also has a lower infant mortality rate. Please explain why this variance exists.

As for your last sentence: So you think someone in for instance Kenya has equal access to the same opportunities and quality of life as you do?
    You're missing the point. Variance =/= Inequality. Obviously, if you go to extreme examples such as Kenya, and compare them to oppositely extreme examples, you'll see differences in lifestyle. What I'm trying to say is, everyone in the UK for example are equal. Everyone in Italy, are equal. Comparing different countries ignores political and geographical differences that are out of our control. Therefore it's not inequality, it's just variance. Statistical variance, that is statistically guarenteed. Some will have it better than others, and this does not mean society is inequal, it just means the plain fact that there's differences in people's lives. We're not segregating and dicriminating against people in Kenya and stopping them from acheiving anything, they just happen to have it harder by chance. Inequality would be for example stopping people doing something purely because of their gender or race etc - something out of their own control. We're not forcing people in Kenya to have a harder life, we're actually trying to do the opposite, so you can't consider it a problem in society if it's not humans fault.

And yes my example is worthy as a counter example. You can't say my example has no value because there's only one. If in maths, there is a counter example to a claim, it is false. It's the same here - I had equal opportunity to those educated to a much higher standard than me up to this point - therefore there's equal opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    You're missing the point. Variance =/= Inequality. Obviously, if you go to extreme examples such as Kenya, and compare them to oppositely extreme examples, you'll see differences in lifestyle. What I'm trying to say is, everyone in the UK for example are equal. Everyone in Italy, are equal. Comparing different countries ignores political and geographical differences that are out of our control. Therefore it's not inequality, it's just variance. Statistical variance, that is statistically guarenteed. Some will have it better than others, and this does not mean society is inequal, it just means the plain fact that there's differences in people's lives. We're not segregating and dicriminating against people in Kenya and stopping them from acheiving anything, they just happen to have it harder by chance. Inequality would be for example stopping people doing something purely because of their gender or race etc - something out of their own control. We're not forcing people in Kenya to have a harder life, we're actually trying to do the opposite, so you can't consider it a problem in society if it's not humans fault.

And yes my example is worthy as a counter example. You can't say my example has no value because there's only one. If in maths, there is a counter example to a claim, it is false. It's the same here - I had equal opportunity to those educated to a much higher standard than me up to this point - therefore there's equal opportunity.
    Ok then, lets humour you and play by your contorted rules. Are you telling me you believe there's equality within countries such as Kenya, or South Africa?

Also this is not a claim of a rule, it is a claim of a trend. An outlying point in statistics does not make a trend incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    hear hear

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.