Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Crash highers? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, this is my first time on this website so I hope I'm doing this right.

Currently I am in 5th year. Due to mental health reasons, I have barely been in this year and last year and have only managed to keep up with Geography and a little of maths at national 5 level.
    I would have done my national 5s last year had I been attending school regularly, but what's done is done.

Now, to my question.

I'd really like to leave school with 5 highers which would mean I would need to sit 4 crash highers. Music is no problem to crash higher and Geography should be fine but I'm unsure of what to do for my other 3 subjects.

I feel that maths and English are very important subjects to have. Do you think if I put the work in crash highering them would be achievable? I have about 4 months until 6th year begins, anything I can do to be ready for then?

I would also like to crash higher a science. I understand it depends upon the individual person but in your opinion which would be the easiest? Would a science be possible to crash higher do you think? I'm willing to work very hard for this.

After high school I am planning on studying sociology with psychology if that makes a difference.

Also any books you would recommend me buying or websites would be appreciated.

Thank you! ^o^

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how well multiple crash highers would work out but I did crash higher Spanish in 2014 and ended up with an A-1 so if you feel like that would be something you're interested in, it's quite a good course that is simple to understand

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to crash higher English, it's not that much harder than N5 apart from the fact that the Reading for UAE has a comparison question at the end with a second passage and the essays are expected to be a bit longer.
    Crash higher Maths is not something I would recommend, however if you quickly grasped the concepts at N5 then with a lot of effort you could do quite well.
    I can't really comment on Biology or Chemistry because I've never done them but I certainly wouldn't crash Physics, I'm struggling even with a good understanding of N5.
    The SQA do offer Higher Psychology, so that would of course be ideal, although it may require previous experience in english and a science.
    In terms of preparation you can do beforehand, extensively study N5 materials for the subjects you choose, buy a textbook (not just a how to pass guide), ask teachers if theres any specific areas that are big in higher and make sure you know them.
    Saying that doing 4 crash highers will be extremely tough, so make sure you know what you're signing up for.

ReputationRep:
    So what subjects are you doing this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alana_p)
    So what subjects are you doing this year?
    I am (supposed to be) doing Geography, Physics, Maths and English at national 5 level and a crash higher in Computing.

For computing I only picked the subject as nothing in that column interested me so it was a random choice I guess. I hate the subject though and not knowing anything about it caused my anxiety to become worse as without an interest in it I just couldn't focus to catch up. Anxiety is also the main cause of me not being able to go to my other classes other than Geography (where my teacher is so understanding).

My Geography is fine and I am seeing a tutor to help me catch up on maths. Physics.. It's a bit hard to get my head around without a teacher.. and English I haven't attended in a while but I have been practicing writing essays at home. Computing honestly I don't care about it.

So for 6th year I'm hoping to have a new start since I haven't/won't accomplish much this year.

Anyways, that's more detail than I needed to put, I'm sorry. :")

ReputationRep:
    No need to apologise! Try and do your best at your subjects this year, especially if you want to do them at higher next year but just take it easy. If you speak to your guidance teacher, you should be able to crash highers but it will be a lot of work. Remember your options aren't always limited there and there's also college where you can do highers too! I feel the 'how to pass...' books work best for me, so you might wanna get a few of them for next year and maybe even this year to help you out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alana_p)
    No need to apologise! Try and do your best at your subjects this year, especially if you want to do them at higher next year but just take it easy. If you speak to your guidance teacher, you should be able to crash highers but it will be a lot of work. Remember your options aren't always limited there and there's also college where you can do highers too! I feel the 'how to pass...' books work best for me, so you might wanna get a few of them for next year and maybe even this year to help you out.
    I think I'm going to make Geography my priority and I'll focus on maths and English too. From a young age I've had an idea of the path I wanted to take in life and to deviate from that and go to college first.. I'd rather not do that.. (not that there's anything wrong with college, of course! But I think I'd feel a little left behind since all of my friends will be sitting their highers and then heading off to uni. Even if we lose touch after a while I'd rather not be stuck back a year getting qualifications at college first. It may be a wise move but I think I'd feel a little down about it having my friends move on working towards their degrees.. as well as other reasons).

I have a tendency to ramble a lot, oops. :P

I'll definitely look into those books. Would you suggest a national 5 and a Higher one of each subject I'm planning to take..? :3

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i understand what youre saying but just keep in mind that it isn't the end pf the world if things don't go so great in 6th year, although youre so determined im sure you'll be able to reach your goals! Youre best to look at the books in person before buying them, waters tones normally has loads of them at this time of year but you may want to buy them on amazon because they may be cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Subjects which are not offered at N5 in your school should be good to crash. Most people do modern studies, psychology, philosophy, economics etc? In my school many people did business management as a crash and find it ok.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.