Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Is anyone else doing the merchant of venice in their eng lit A2 exam tomorrow?? If so can you give me some help on some last minute revision because i've left this one a bit late and i find it really difficult. Thanks xxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Seems like I'm in a similar position! I'm relying too much on Blake tomorrow...!

What are you struggling with specifically?

ReputationRep:
    hey sorry i've just had a driving lesson! same here- im much more confident on wordsworth. well...mainy struggling on the fact that i havent learnt it really! but how many quotes are you learning? which particular areas are you focusing on? do u have many critical responses to put in your essay?
    i'm scared :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nats_012)
    hey sorry i've just had a driving lesson! same here- im much more confident on wordsworth. well...mainy struggling on the fact that i havent learnt it really! but how many quotes are you learning? which particular areas are you focusing on? do u have many critical responses to put in your essay?
    i'm scared :eek:

Ditto! What I'm going to do is answer the Blake question first - if Wordsworth's your strong point it may be wise to do that?

As for quotes... I know one or two (wish it could be 'I don't know why I'm sad' rather than 'In sooth I know not why I am so sad' :mad:). I think if I can't remember them I'll just make a vague reference to them in the exam... Probably not a good idea but heh. As for critics' opinions, one person on the unit 4 thread mentioned that they didn't use them and got full marks for the whole paper. I think you just need to be aware that certain things can be interpreted differently - especially Shylock. Remember many of his lines are often cut from productions in order to enhance the complexity of his character... We may feel sympathy towards him... We may hate him... His hatred by an Elizabethan audience will not have helped in so far as things like the Holocaust are concerned... etc, etc.

I know I'll get writer's block in the exam tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Ta, yeah i'll write about wordsworth first.

Would be really nice if we got a question about shylock. I know what you mean- i wish language hadnt changed since shakespeare's time- the quotes would be so much easier to learn!! right, i'll jst mention a few of the critics then- whether they are relevant or not! I better actually go and learn it now, at least we've got tomorro morn to cram! good luck, pm me if you find out what the questions will will be :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, yeah good luck! There has been a question about Shylock before, but it was a while ago, hence there's a slight chance it may pop up again in a different form! A question about the trial scene'd be good, too.

ReputationRep:
    How did you find it, then?

The <insert nasty word here>s!!!!!! Asking about Lancelot Gobbo...!! :mad:

Oh well... Second question was reasonable. Completely blagged it, no structure to essay whatsoever... Managed to slip in a couple of quotes though.

ReputationRep:
    hehe i did the launcelot question!!!!! a moment of insanity i think, probably made a complete ****-up of that ques but nevermind. i couldn't think of what to write for the other ques. no more eng lit! i'm slightly sad hope we've done ok xxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nats_012)
    hehe i did the launcelot question!!!!! a moment of insanity i think, probably made a complete ****-up of that ques but nevermind. i couldn't think of what to write for the other ques. no more eng lit! i'm slightly sad hope we've done ok xxxxxxx
    Hey as long as you knew your stuff it was probably a nice question... I couldn't figure the character out personally! I could think of the odd thing to write for the second one, didn't give it my best shot but never mind! :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.