Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got an offer to do Biomedical Sciences at Bradford Uni. I'm pretty excited as I really want to get into Medicine. I've been thinking very hard about this, I heard that if you already have a degree, then to go to a Uni for the second time for a degree (Medicine in my case) you will have to pay. And medical school isn't cheap, plus it will be for 4 years and that'll add up to a lot. What should I do? Should I go back to college and redo my A levels in science and the apply to a medical school? That way it'll be much cheaper. Thank you for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you. When I spoke to the majority of Medical schools I found that to get in after a third year they would expect much higher grades, even above the standard asking grades. The admissions advised that I looked at another relevant degree first and then returned to medicine once I already had an undergraduate degree. It is a more expensive route but I think it will be worth it as it's a more solid foundation for the end goal I applied for neuroscience instead (As Neurology is what I want to work in) but ultimately it has to be your decision.

ReputationRep:
    You're talking about graduate entry medicine - see here for info: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...dicine-a-guide

It's highly competitive - perhaps the most competitive course to get onto (don't have actual stats so I stand to be corrected).

What A levels did you get? Are you close to getting the grades for undergrad medicine?

ReputationRep:
    I did R.E. and Urdu but just the first year, since I started A levels 2 years late, I could only do the last year. I got an A and a B. I then went onto college to do an Access to Higher education course which I'm currently doing. The medical undergraduate Programe at Leeds United (interdisciplinary) is especially for people who have NOT done science in A levels. Strange I know. So I did not do science in A levels, however, my current course is half science based so I'm pretty worried (Access to Higher Education in Health Science Professions). Leeds did get back to me and asked me to fill out a form which I did so I'm waiting for a reply now. After being rejected by the Bradford Clincal Science, I've lost all hope tbh. It's only Biomedical that I have officially been accepted to. I'm not being ungrateful it's just how much I want to pursue medicine. I'd have a stronger chance of getting into medicine with a degree in Biomedical but it will be expensive and I don't come from a rich background :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee-Hargreavesn)
    I'm in the same boat as you. When I spoke to the majority of Medical schools I found that to get in after a third year they would expect much higher grades, even above the standard asking grades. The admissions advised that I looked at another relevant degree first and then returned to medicine once I already had an undergraduate degree. It is a more expensive route but I think it will be worth it as it's a more solid foundation for the end goal I applied for neuroscience instead (As Neurology is what I want to work in) but ultimately it has to be your decision.
    You're lucky man keep it up. I just contacted a college and told them I wanted to do 3 A levels and they said it would cost about £2,500 each so gutted :/ I think I should just take the Biomed route. I was told NHS pays for 2 years and the rest you have to BUT you can get loans. I'm so worried. I hate it when you have a dream and the obstacle in the way is finance! Plus you're right, having a Biomed degree will make you a very strong candidate to be picked into Med school.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Leeds United was the football club?

Is it this page that is relevant? http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/20...rnative_routes

Your A levels are certainly not suitable for traditional entry into Medicine. Are you likely to get A or A* in biology and chemistry? What do your teachers think? What were your GCSEs like?

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha auto correct. Sorry Yep leeds Uni. I know, that is why I'm doing an HE programme which is for students who missed out on A levels and through that you can get into pretty much any course. I have already been accepted into Biomed. And the Interdisciplinary at Leeds is only for those who did not do science at A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.