The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by h.xlx
Dayuuum, bit steep no?

http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/100001/prospective_students/57/costs_201617/2
go look through that list at all the en-suites (excluding oxley because that's miles away and you'd pay more in a bus to actually get in)

CV is a minimum of £5590 a year
James Baillie is a minimum of £5250 for en suite per year
Devonshire, which is Headingley way £5376 minimum
'Cityside' (it's new none of us have any clues)- £5934 minimum
Henry price £5208 minimum
Leodis £5292 minimum
Liberty dock £5208 minimum
The Tannery £5418

Oxley is the only cheaper en suite! But yeah it's quiiiite a distance away
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
But yeah, halls cost a flipping fortune! Just signed for a house with one friend for next year and it's only £89 a week including bills, and is closer to the uni (sharing a bathroom between the two of us though). But unfortunately you have to stomach the bills in the first year D:
Reply 22
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
But yeah, halls cost a flipping fortune! Just signed for a house with one friend for next year and it's only £89 a week including bills, and is closer to the uni (sharing a bathroom between the two of us though). But unfortunately you have to stomach the bills in the first year D:

Omdsssssss, that is a bloody fortune lol. Omg, how am I going to manage that?
Original post by h.xlx
Omdsssssss, that is a bloody fortune lol. Omg, how am I going to manage that?

welcome to being a student D: I get £89 a term leftover from my student loan, any of the other accommodations I wouldn't have had anything left! I'm relying on 'the bank of mum and dad' which I feel SUPER guilty about. I could have had more money if I'd gone to share a bathroom, but that was the one thing that I couldn't have done. Sharing a kitchen with anxiety is bad enough! But a bathroom? Oh gosh no. And the state people leave the kitchen in, I don't even want to picture the state of a shared bathroom...
I was going to suggest you look at 'private' halls, but they're even MORE expensive. And Leeds is a CHEAP city in comparison to many others
Reply 24
welcome to being a student D: I get £89 a term leftover from my student loan, any of the other accommodations I wouldn't have had anything left! I'm relying on 'the bank of mum and dad' which I feel SUPER guilty about. I could have had more money if I'd gone to share a bathroom, but that was the one thing that I couldn't have done. Sharing a kitchen with anxiety is bad enough! But a bathroom? Oh gosh no. And the state people leave the kitchen in, I don't even want to picture the state of a shared bathroom...
I was going to suggest you look at 'private' halls, but they're even MORE expensive. And Leeds is a CHEAP city in comparison to many others

Omg, starting to have second thoughts about uni now :s how do you manage to get food and does that mean you can't buy the odd takeout meal or go out on a night out or anythint like that?
Original post by h.xlx
Omg, starting to have second thoughts about uni now :s how do you manage to get food and does that mean you can't buy the odd takeout meal or go out on a night out or anythint like that?

Luckily my parents are amazing and the sort who will go without everything to make sure I'm okay. That being said I'm not a big spender. Because bills are included I probably spend about £5 a week on one wash cycle and dry cycle
Then a max of about £30 on food (I buy WAY too much chocolate and stuff you could spend a lot less if you are sensible) other than that, I think I've had 3 takeaways since september, and haven't been on a 'night out' once (I don't drink, I'm such a boring human I swear) however I do have this habit of impulse spending (that pikachu in the image? Build a bear. £29. regret that purchase immensely).
Thanks to my parents I am still well above my overdraft. But I do know people in their overdrafts (freshers week got a bit crazy for some people).

This is why people lobby the government, we get more to pay for our course fees than we do to live on for the year! But hey let's not get into politics :tongue:
But yeah, I have some friends who didn't want to share a kitchen so they're paying £180+ a week.
Reply 26
Luckily my parents are amazing and the sort who will go without everything to make sure I'm okay. That being said I'm not a big spender. Because bills are included I probably spend about £5 a week on one wash cycle and dry cycle
Then a max of about £30 on food (I buy WAY too much chocolate and stuff you could spend a lot less if you are sensible) other than that, I think I've had 3 takeaways since september, and haven't been on a 'night out' once (I don't drink, I'm such a boring human I swear) however I do have this habit of impulse spending (that pikachu in the image? Build a bear. £29. regret that purchase immensely).
Thanks to my parents I am still well above my overdraft. But I do know people in their overdrafts (freshers week got a bit crazy for some people).

This is why people lobby the government, we get more to pay for our course fees than we do to live on for the year! But hey let's not get into politics :tongue:
But yeah, I have some friends who didn't want to share a kitchen so they're paying £180+ a week.

Wow, your parents sound amazing lol. I don't think I'd be a big spender either and I dont drink either which is good I guess. But I do like goinf out, not necessarily clubs more like concerts and stuff. Would you say £30 gets you a good amount of shopping for the week or do you have to ration? (Also I'm totally the same with chocolates and sweets :lol:)

P.s. the pikachu is awesome :-P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Also, what do you study if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h.xlx
Wow, your parents sound amazing lol. I don't think I'd be a big spender either and I dont drink either which is good I guess. But I do like goinf out, not necessarily clubs more like concerts and stuff. Would you say £30 gets you a good amount of shopping for the week or do you have to ration? (Also I'm totally the same with chocolates and sweets :lol:)

P.s. the pikachu is awesome :-P

Posted from TSR Mobile

£30 for one person is plenty in my opinion. It's only 7 days, so it's like £4 a day. I live off ready meals and pot noodles and sandwiches, fish fingers and chips and stuff so :tongue:

I have the occasional treat day ^.^ Like I am going to a gig this Friday with my friend, and to be honest, band merch is probably going to steal all my cash. But we'll see!
Original post by h.xlx
Also, what do you study if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm first year BSc International Business ^.^ what have you applied for?
Reply 30
I'm first year BSc International Business ^.^ what have you applied for?

This was actually meant to be my first year at uni but I'm a resit. So yay for another year of college :sadface: and I've applied for Aerospace Engineering.
Original post by h.xlx
This was actually meant to be my first year at uni but I'm a resit. So yay for another year of college :sadface: and I've applied for Aerospace Engineering.

I'll stay over in my 'dunce' corner (to all business students I jest I jest)
But yeah Leeds is fab ^.^ Bit windy at the minute mind you. Can't wear hats without them taking a trip to London.
Reply 32
I'll stay over in my 'dunce' corner (to all business students I jest I jest)
But yeah Leeds is fab ^.^ Bit windy at the minute mind you. Can't wear hats without them taking a trip to London.

XD the wind has been absolutely horrible in my part of the world as well. I might aswell ask, since we've pretty much covered everything else, how is the uni, like the pros and cons?
Original post by h.xlx
XD the wind has been absolutely horrible in my part of the world as well. I might aswell ask, since we've pretty much covered everything else, how is the uni, like the pros and cons?

I really like it!

Pros:
Leeds is a relatively cheap city
I am finalllly near a concert hall that bands actually play at
Russell group uni duh
Does my course
Option in 'third' year to study abroad or do a year in industry
Some pretty nice buildings (Parkinson building cough cough)
Love the union
Very diverse
I'm a northerner so you know, still got my folk up here :wink:
If you like keeping fit there is a great gym and pool (not that I've ever used them)
Good bus service
Cross between a campus and city university, all buildings together, but not isolated

Cons:
Probably won't be an issue for you, but the walk from the conference auditorium to the business school is a killer and cannot be completed in the ten mintues given to me.
The food prices are pretty steep not going to lie.
SO MANY HILLS.
The Roger Steven building. With it's missing floors and lecture theatres that make no sense, not to mention it's just plain ugly.
You get the 'ewww Leeds, I go to Oxford/somewhere else down south' comments even though it's got a great ranking.
The sign up when you choose your modules at the start of the year can reduce a grown man to tears. Honestly the most stressful few hours of my life because the system makes no sense.
Reply 34
I really like it!

Pros:
Leeds is a relatively cheap city
I am finalllly near a concert hall that bands actually play at
Russell group uni duh
Does my course
Option in 'third' year to study abroad or do a year in industry
Some pretty nice buildings (Parkinson building cough cough)
Love the union
Very diverse
I'm a northerner so you know, still got my folk up here :wink:
If you like keeping fit there is a great gym and pool (not that I've ever used them)
Good bus service
Cross between a campus and city university, all buildings together, but not isolated

Cons:
Probably won't be an issue for you, but the walk from the conference auditorium to the business school is a killer and cannot be completed in the ten mintues given to me.
The food prices are pretty steep not going to lie.
SO MANY HILLS.
The Roger Steven building. With it's missing floors and lecture theatres that make no sense, not to mention it's just plain ugly.
You get the 'ewww Leeds, I go to Oxford/somewhere else down south' comments even though it's got a great ranking.
The sign up when you choose your modules at the start of the year can reduce a grown man to tears. Honestly the most stressful few hours of my life because the system makes no sense.

Coooool, what kind of bands play? And high five, northerner here also. I had a look at the pool and gym during my applicant day tour and cannot wait to start using that!

Hills? Seriously? I don't remember any lol. Also, do people seriously compare oxford to leeds? Not that leeds is bad in anyway. That just makes no sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h.xlx
Coooool, what kind of bands play? And high five, northerner here also. I had a look at the pool and gym during my applicant day tour and cannot wait to start using that!

Hills? Seriously? I don't remember any lol. Also, do people seriously compare oxford to leeds? Not that leeds is bad in anyway. That just makes no sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put it this way, I have to stay well away from the football team here o_O my dad likes chanting 'Leeds scum' when we pass Elland road. And oh gosh the hilllls. The hills constant hills. Leeds is just one big hill.
And I'm going to the 'carnival of madness' so Shinedown, Halestorm and Black stone cherry. But all sorts of bands play really.
Reply 36
Put it this way, I have to stay well away from the football team here o_O my dad likes chanting 'Leeds scum' when we pass Elland road. And oh gosh the hilllls. The hills constant hills. Leeds is just one big hill.
And I'm going to the 'carnival of madness' so Shinedown, Halestorm and Black stone cherry. But all sorts of bands play really.

Ahaha, I get the footy thing, my dad is exactly the same (die hard united fan). And it seemed alright when I was there, not many hills but I guess I'll find out when I get there hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi guys there is a real good facebook page for Leeds uni

facebook.com/groups/1702800139966409/1702801749966248/
Hi, I'm going to be studying diagnostic radiography at Leeds and I will start in stember. Can anyone recommend any accommodations nearby the campus please. I would prefer en suite
Is leodis close to the school of healthcare?

Quick Reply

Latest