Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Complaining!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    On reading through these forums, especially in the academic section, there is far too much complaining about the terrible teaching, the horrific exam papers and so on and so forth!

This is really annoying me! Just because your exam paper was hard, does not mean it was the exam boards fault. What is the point in complaning to them?! What are they going to do, give you sympathy marks?!

And blaming your teacher? Fair enough there are some bad teachers. But when they become the reason for your failing, it really does look like you're just some desperate case, looking for a scapegoat. It ever occured to you that it just might be you who didn't do well, and just down to you? Don't go looking for other excuses.

If you fail, it's not the end of the world, so just shut up moaning, and get on with your exams. Stop looking for excuses because you didn't get 'the A you so rightly deserved'.

ReputationRep:
    Think you're in the wrong forum

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't mind the moaning. It makes you and other people who have had the same experience feel better. Plus, everyone likes to complain about the exams - it's the only good thing about them.

P.S Isn't it a bit odd that you're complaining abount complaining?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i know i sound hypocritical. But it's when people take it to the extreme. I'm not saying you can't find exams hard, I do too. But people are talking about suing their schools, taking it up with the exam board!

What will it achieve really.

And apologies to whoever said I was in the wrong place.

ReputationRep:
    ........Have you ever thought that if your teacher's absent a lot of the time, that's not your fault (but could be theirs).....if your exams are all blocked together (like mine) it's not your fault (but is the exam boards').

If, like me, you actually want to use your youth and your qualifications to your advantage and with the amount of people going to university nowadays, it just may be the end all if you fail and have to repeat.

To say it's all down to the student is to say you don't need help (to be in school/ have teachers/ have the time). Wisen up!

ReputationRep:
    Just read your other message. I agree that extreme cases are useless. But chances are with the select few, they are done over by the setup of exams.

ReputationRep:
    No, I agree, this year infact I have suffered as a teacher has not yet finished going through one of the modules with us. I just don't feel the need to complain.

It just feels like people need excuses for not doing well. If I don't do well, I just think 'well, my fault'. Sometimes the questions are difficult. That's just life though isn't it.

I want to go to university just as much as the people talking about how difficult things have been. But if I don't manage to get the right grades, I'll put it down to me. I believe i've had adequate teaching, I've had more than enough time to learn the stuff. Just tough **** at the end of the day isn't it if things don't go your way.

ReputationRep:
    Stop complaining about people complaining. I'm OK with complaining, but complaining about complaining is taking complaining just a little too far. I'm not one to complain much, but often I do complain and make the odd complaint about how hard I found a paper, but complaining is really nothing to complain about.....sorry, yeh, I see your point, but when you've been working your ass off since you were five for this Maths exam, say, then of course you're going to be a bit "miffed" when the exam board throw in a "stinker" and ruin your chances. Failing an exam because you're crap at that subject and put in little effort, fair enough, you shouldn't really complain. But when you feel you're totally capable at maths, but then, not mentioning any specific names (EDEXCEL!!! ahem) throw in a hard non-calculator paper then you have every right to release your sheer frustration.

ReputationRep:
    We have a greater and greater right to complain, as we are paying more and more for our right to a decent education.

If we have to complain to get what we want and deserve out of system that doesn't work properly, then so be it!

There is no reason for us to just "lump it"... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    Stop complaining about people complaining. I'm OK with complaining, but complaining about complaining is taking complaining just a little too far. I'm not one to complain much, but often I do complain and make the odd complaint about how hard I found a paper, but complaining is really nothing to complain about.....sorry, yeh, I see your point, but when you've been working your ass off since you were five for this Maths exam, say, then of course you're going to be a bit "miffed" when the exam board throw in a "stinker" and ruin your chances. Failing an exam because you're crap at that subject and put in little effort, fair enough, you shouldn't really complain. But when you feel you're totally capable at maths, but then, not mentioning any specific names (EDEXCEL!!! ahem) throw in a hard non-calculator paper then you have every right to release your sheer frustration.
    i agree, i think complaining about things definately takes something off your chest. and it's different complaining to parents who dont understand why edexcel would have produced an impossible paper, than when you are complaining to people who have had the same experience.
    As for teachers, a lot of them mess up for the kids they teach, but then a lot of kids take it out on them when they don't perform in exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    I believe you are complaining about complaining about complaining! Which really annoys me, I feel the need to camplain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pot_noodle86)
    On reading through these forums, especially in the academic section, there is far too much complaining about the terrible teaching, the horrific exam papers and so on and so forth!

This is really annoying me! Just because your exam paper was hard, does not mean it was the exam boards fault. What is the point in complaning to them?! What are they going to do, give you sympathy marks?!

And blaming your teacher? Fair enough there are some bad teachers. But when they become the reason for your failing, it really does look like you're just some desperate case, looking for a scapegoat. It ever occured to you that it just might be you who didn't do well, and just down to you? Don't go looking for other excuses.

If you fail, it's not the end of the world, so just shut up moaning, and get on with your exams. Stop looking for excuses because you didn't get 'the A you so rightly deserved'.
    Few years ago since I did my exams now, but my science teachers were complete crap, I managed to pass my exams with good grades as I seem to get through exams with out putting in the work, (lucky gene I guess). But I would be inclined to blame them for alot of people in my year getting low grades.

ReputationRep:
    It really bugs me when I hear people complaining about their teachers as in two of my three subjects this year I was not taught atall - there simply wasn't enough teachers or the time, or even number of pupils (VERY few pupils in Scotland sit AH) for classes to be possible, which I accepted and got on with it on my own. The only difficulty I can think of having had is the TOTAL lack of a practical side - there were no demonstrations/experiments, even explanations, atall, though I did recieve a little help/advice with the practical investigation which was required to pass the course. This aside, it was basically me and a book the rest of the year.

ReputationRep:
    think what we need to realise, potnoodle, is that we're being trained to pass an exam -not necessairily a subject- ur teachers/curse material is responsible for this. if it was an inteliigence test, then we'd d an IQ test, and that wouldnt be the fault of teachers because how we answered it would be down entirely to our own abilities. but when you have exam papers that are higly specific in what they are looking for yet produce VERY ambiguous questions, it could be argued that the teachers/exam boards are at fault- we don't know what the examiners want in such situations, only the teachers, who have studied the subject in depth and can approach it form more angles than we can, can do so. exam technique IS all down to teachers/exam boards (possibly exam boards moreso).

and like many people have said here, we feel comfortable moaning about it- we are the only ones who understand our situations, parents etc won't, (unless they are teachers/pupils themselves). we are a product of the sciety we grow in- and teachers and parents play a major role in that.

however i personally feel that ultimately its the exam boards fault for not giving us enough time to cram so much content into one qualification

ReputationRep:
    But what about inconsistency in the final grade? Some people who claim it is the exam boards fault for their poor grades because of a so called ambiguous question, find that many other people in their year end up getting A's or just as good. Their point about a bad paper therefore cannot be valid, as other people managed okay with it. If everybody got say D's or lower, perhaps they have sufficient ground to claim there was an external problem, not that they personally had a problem and believe they have been unfairly treated.

I've came across some difficult questions in my time of doing exams, but other people have ended up doing better than myself doing the same question. I'd say it was me at fault in that case. Perhaps I just didn't read the question properly, or I didn't know that topic as well as a peer.

Exam's aren't meant to be easy, and I've accepted that. The wording of a question can completely throw you, they expect you to be intelligent enough to realise they're not gonna give you something you don't know, and they're just phrasing it differently.

I had an english exam yesterday, the question was phrased wierdly, but I realised that it was actually one of the easiest things I'd even come across.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.