Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Marketing job scam Liverpool! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Two days ago I applied for a job at Elite Intuition Liverpool, a company claiming to work under credico marketing. The job advertised 'Events assistant' claiming that you work at promotion events for large companies such as talk talk. I got an interview email telling me to wear business clothes and that I would be interviewed by the manager, I showed up there was about 20 other people in the time I was there, I waited almost an hour and a half to be interviewed. I had a 15 minute interview with the manager who told me I can progress in the company and be a manager. He said I would be working with clients helping with promotion/advertising. The job also claimed you would be on £250-£400 a week plus commission. I got a call and email saying I was successful, it's a long email saying I would be taken to an event by a representative shown what the work is, and to wear comfortable shoes and business attire. I shown up at the office today, EVERYONE who had been interviewed was there. Although I got told I was one of the few chosen to go. I got paired with a lad and a representative, I asked him where we were going/what we were doing etc and he wouldn't tell me, I filled in a form with a BIG red flag 'by signing this, I agree that if I am hired I will be an individual self employed representative of the clients.' I then asked the man 'where are we going, what are we doing' he said 'we are going to St. Helens to do face to face sales' ???!!?? So I was like 'what does that mean though! Knocking on doors! I'm not doing that!' He was like 'no we are standing in St. Helens asda representing the client, well that was enough for me and I walked to the repetition and told them I wasn't going it, I wasn't degrading myself to annoy other people and taking advantage of them. Then I found out, you do knock on people's doors and you do do stuff like that! And ALSO it's alllll commission, no set pay. I walked out and a few others followed me, the manager looked angry and walked away. Please do not fall for these companies that lead you on telling you how great you are and you could be a manager when in reality you will be knocking on doors getting £5 a day.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What a waste of your time. I hate it when that happens. Companies are awful like tht. I worked for 4 days for a window company recruiting people to be "sales associates" aka door knockers. When I realised what I was recruiting for I left.

Any good reputable company will be open about this stuff so it's easier to spot a bad pitch. Well done for getting out of there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    What a waste of your time. I hate it when that happens. Companies are awful like tht. I worked for 4 days for a window company recruiting people to be "sales associates" aka door knockers. When I realised what I was recruiting for I left.

Any good reputable company will be open about this stuff so it's easier to spot a bad pitch. Well done for getting out of there!
    It's awful isn't it! They provide false job titles in their advertising making people want to join thinking you could be successful and then it turns out to be that! A lot of people in there getting interviewed seemed respectable they had suits on and most were a lot older than me (I'm 19) they looked 27+ there was even a woman who had kids and stuff, we all got tricked but only me and a few others were brave enough to leave before we got dragged around a place we don't know for hours!

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love reading about these scam jobs and how people get suckered into it, I've had a near miss also at a few of these places.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souljer)
    I absolutely love reading about these scam jobs and how people get suckered into it, I've had a near miss also at a few of these places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same! After it happened to me I've been reading everything about them and watching videos about them it's amazing how deceptive they are

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading lots of these lately and I see some people claiming these firms use scam/fraudulent tactics and others claim that this isn't true and the accusers are "misinformed" to which said accusers then go on to further accuse them lof being biased or brainwashed . Personally I was curious as to why a marketing company is so ambiguous about the job roles they're so eager to offer, I run a successful business and therefore work alongside reputable marketing and PR companies and applied (fake CV lol) due to overwhelming boredom (I have 2 weeks to kill), restlessness and curiosity. Everything people said about each companies tactics are so far spot on, I made it past the open day and meant to start "work" this Monday. For my social experiment I even looked the part of what I thought they would assume to be someone impressionable and I tried to put on my best acting skills all the while trying to hold back laughter the more the "team leader" opened his mouth to speak (every single time delivering a speech equivalent to a gigantic explosive shite), I honestly can't believe I lasted the full day which was 10.30am-8.30pm but I honestly had nothing better to do with my day. However, I'm still considering taking this further and attending the first day of training just to hear some more of their bs brainwashing cult-like tactics which I personally found amusing because it's mainly coming from Team leaders or assistant managers who have been there less than 1-2 years and have been brainwashed, likely in huge arrears (watched a manager painfully count his pennies for lunch and had to put his drink back as he was short of 20p, then I overheard the same guy bragging about being into luxury goods while sporting primark, I mean I'm all for frugality and don't care for so called luxury brands but man was I mind blown). I really wish I could fit into this all that I observed but I might as well write a book on it and quite frankly I'm already bored of this story now that I'm telling it but I am still considering going in there on Monday and doing more spy/ social experiment work. Still undecided. Bottom line - this is door to door sales work, if that's what you want to do then go for it, but you would be better off representing products yourself via affiliate marketing if you used your initiative and approached brands yourself, you will start to earn a larger commission for yourself and the more brands you work with the faster you can grow and if you're evil then start your own company like this to attempt to maximise your commission earnings, it's pretty much what the "managers" are doing and using gullible people or just underqualified or misguided folks as cheap labour, sweat shop workers Should I continue the experiment on Monday or nah? (Don't judge me)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.