Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering going back to Uni to study either Nursing (Child) or Midwifery- I haven't actually decided which yet!

I already have A levels in ICT, Photography and Film Studies, with the highest grade being a C in Film Studies. I also did an Art and Design Foundation year and a degree in Film Production. I graduated nearly 6 years ago and attempted to get into teaching but was unsuccessful getting onto a post 16 PGCE so have just been working in retail since and doing bits and bobs of work experience in film.

I have been volunteering at Brownies for a year and recently applied for a position in a nursery which I have just been offered!

What would the best route into either one of my options be? The position I was offered is part time to start with but leading to full time and I will be studying towards my level 2 NVQ. I have looked into possibly doing an Access course as my A level subjects are not relevant enough for either degree, and I do not meet the criteria for my local University at the moment.

Although, the access courses nearby are 3-4 days a week which I won't be able to commit to with my new job. Is there any way of doing it via distance learning? Would my other option be to self teach A levels- bearing in mind I wouldn't be able to do any practical assessments for science subjects.

Has anyone out there managed to figure out a way to do this?

Just to clarify, I considered a career in Midwifery back when I was at school but then chose different options when I went to college which is why I didn't do any relevant A levels at the time. I would also be classed as a mature student as I am 30 this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clara_oswald)
    I'm considering going back to Uni to study either Nursing (Child) or Midwifery- I haven't actually decided which yet!

I already have A levels in ICT, Photography and Film Studies, with the highest grade being a C in Film Studies. I also did an Art and Design Foundation year and a degree in Film Production. I graduated nearly 6 years ago and attempted to get into teaching but was unsuccessful getting onto a post 16 PGCE so have just been working in retail since and doing bits and bobs of work experience in film.

I have been volunteering at Brownies for a year and recently applied for a position in a nursery which I have just been offered!

What would the best route into either one of my options be? The position I was offered is part time to start with but leading to full time and I will be studying towards my level 2 NVQ. I have looked into possibly doing an Access course as my A level subjects are not relevant enough for either degree, and I do not meet the criteria for my local University at the moment.

Although, the access courses nearby are 3-4 days a week which I won't be able to commit to with my new job. Is there any way of doing it via distance learning? Would my other option be to self teach A levels- bearing in mind I wouldn't be able to do any practical assessments for science subjects.

Has anyone out there managed to figure out a way to do this?

Just to clarify, I considered a career in Midwifery back when I was at school but then chose different options when I went to college which is why I didn't do any relevant A levels at the time. I would also be classed as a mature student as I am 30 this year.
    Hi, firstly as you have a degree there is no need to do an access course/a-levels as your degree will override your a-levels but call the uni you are interested in to confirm this.
    Also you will need care experience which will look good on your application, i.e. volunteering on the wards or care home should suffice and make sure you state what you learned from your experience and know what the role entails.
    I know both Midwifery and Child nursing is very competitive compared to Adult nursing so work experience is crucial but i would strongly advise you to contact the admission team of the uni's you are interested in and talk to them on what you need to do and whether your degree meets their criteria (which it should).

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm a postgraduate Children's Nursing applicant at the moment so I can try and offer some insight!

Am I right in thinking you have a degree in Film? You could potentially apply for the postgraduate diploma (PgDip) in Children's Nursing without needing to do an access course/NVQ etc. You would need to look at the entry requirements for the unis you would be interested in, as some require the degree to be in a science or health subject and a certain amount of experience, however some will accept any degree subject as long as it's the right classification. (City London was one of my choices and they take any degree subject as long as it's a 2:2 or above! A lady I met at interview studied Accounting!)

You might also be aware that NHS bursaries are being scrapped in 2017 but I believe for September 2017 onwards. (Perhaps someone can confirm this?) So you could potentially start a PGDip in March or April 2017 and get fees paid etc.

Can't offer any wisdom on Midwifery I'm afraid, other than I know it's highly competitive, as is Child Nursing. I would definitely recommend getting some experience before you apply because it does help you stand out and shows you are genuinely interested.

I might be wrong but I also think you can study Access courses in colleges, which may have different requirements to your local university.

Hope this helps and good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll contact the Uni (Brighton) and see what they say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clara_oswald)
    Thanks I'll contact the Uni (Brighton) and see what they say!
    Just to recommend trying to get some experience and really think about what course you want to apply for.
    Child nursing and midwifery are nothing alike and people tend to get confused with this. Decide if you want to work with adults or children. Midwifery you help the pregnant female and her family, help deliver the baby and then the aftercare. But then health visitors and children's nurses are responsible for the baby once it leaves hospital.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I rang Brighton admissions about entry for Child Nursing, they said it'll be good if I can get experience of working with children (so nursery job is great, they said). As my degree was more than 5 years ago though, he said I will need to do some sort of study because ideally they want you to have studied within the last 5 years. I mentioned I was thinking about doing an A level in Psychology as a private candidate and he said that would be a great choice and if I do that plus working with children then they will definitely consider my application. I didn't even mention Brownies or the homework club I used to volunteer at!

What's the best way to get entered for A level exams as a private candidate? I had a look and for AQA it's just exams so I won't need to get any coursework graded but unsure what to do next.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.