Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you speak a second language? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What Language do you speak?
    French
    35.52%
    German
    22.40%
    Spanish
    22.95%
    Welsh
    2.19%
    Italian
    9.29%
    Punjabi
    8.20%
    Chinese
    9.29%
    Japanese
    9.29%
    Polish
    6.01%
    Arabic
    10.93%
    Urdu
    10.93%
    Other (Post in thread)
    39.34%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovinlife2)
    Oh my actual days!! YES! :five: :jive:

Hashtag tamil banter with you now
    Loool YASS. #southiebanter

Are you a proper tamillian?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoDoneWithSchool)
    Loool YASS. #southiebanter

Are you a proper tamillian?
    Haha absolutely

Well, I'm not properproper Tamilian (aka not born in India), but my parents are, so I guess that makes me Tamil too :')

Are you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm fluent in English, Russian, Romanian and German with a reasonable grasp of French and Greek.

ReputationRep:
    Also, love how this poll omitted such popular languages as Russian, Portuguese, Turkish or Indonesian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    Curious to see how many multilingual people we have here, and what 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) language you speak

I was taught French at school- and was so hopeless- I'm really jealous of anyone who can learn languages.
    You studied English Literature at uni. You surely do know more than one language. :teehee:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Fluent in English and Cantonese, basic proficiency in Mandarin.

ReputationRep:
    Oui oui.

Baguettes.

Omelette du fromage.

Honhonhonhonhonhonhon.

:pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Haha absolutely

Well, I'm not properproper Tamilian (aka not born in India), but my parents are, so I guess that makes me Tamil too :'

Are you?
    Ohhh i see i seee.

I'm malayalee (kerala) (quarter tamillian ) but like you not proper proper. BUUT I've lived in chennai for a couple years when i was young. Loool my parents speak a mix of tamil/hindi/malayalam/english at homee. Annnd i love tamil movies ofc

ReputationRep:
    I'm fluent in Lithuanian and English but that's cause I'm Lithuanian but live and study in UK. Also studied Russian for 5 years but I barely know the basics of that. Not that good with languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absent Agent)
    You studied English Literature at uni. You surely do know more than one language. :teehee:
    I know! It's shameful!
    (I'm very much the outcast of the English Literature elite.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    Also, love how this poll omitted such popular languages as Russian, Portuguese, Turkish or Indonesian.
    I didn't think very much about it- It was essentially the first 11 languages I could think of :mmm:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh i see i seee.

I'm malayalee (kerala) (quarter tamillian ) but like you not proper proper. BUUT I've lived in chennai for a couple years when i was young. Loool my parents speak a mix of tamil/hindi/malayalam/english at homee. Annnd i love tamil movies ofc
    Haha I see! Nice one

That is so cool My parents are just full on Tamil but my father gets in a bit of Hindi here and there and mum is just there like "Oi, speak Tamil man" (or words to that effect )

Yeah Tamil movies are great! My sister likes movies with Vijay in it Life of Pi is a great family favourite movie - have you watched that?

ReputationRep:
    Haha I see! Nice one

That is so cool My parents are just full on Tamil but my father gets in a bit of Hindi here and there and mum is just there like "Oi, speak Tamil man" (or words to that effect )

Yeah Tamil movies are great! My sister likes movies with Vijay in it Life of Pi is a great family favourite movie - have you watched that?
    Oml my mum gets annoyed too when my dad is firing away in hindi. Lool she's
    average at it Eyy I'm in love with Allu Arjun atm. His dancing floored me:daydreaming:
    Yess!! I've watched that!!

ReputationRep:
    I know! It's shameful!
    (I'm very much the outcast of the English Literature elite.)
    Sorry, what is shameful?

I'm sure being a member of the intellectual elite would prevent you from becoming a solitary thinker.

ReputationRep:
    I speak several languages... I try not to tell people because I feel like a pretentious *******.

ReputationRep:
    Fluent in English and Spanish, native Polish.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think very much about it- It was essentially the first 11 languages I could think of :mmm:
    It's alright. It doesn't lack for variety, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    English, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The only language I can speak fluently at the moment is English. I'm attempting to learn Italian though
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Oml my mum gets annoyed too when my dad is firing away in hindi. Lool she's
    average at it Eyy I'm in love with Allu Arjun atm. His dancing floored me:daydreaming:
    Yess!! I've watched that!!
    Haha, ain't all Indian mums the same :lol:

Ooh, I've not heard of Allu Arjun Ahh, good - did you enjoy the film?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.