The Student Room Group

Can you speak a second language?

Scroll to see replies

Just English. My Spanish used to be reasonably okay given the fact I knew many latin Americans when I lived elsewhere but I can barely remember the basics these days.
Original post by JCampos
Olá, mas penso que isso seja Português Brasileiro, estou certo? :P

sim jaja, mas no falo português :colone:
Original post by rileystringer1
sim jaja, mas no falo português :colone:

Está muito bom :P

Como aprendeste?
Original post by JCampos
Está muito bom :P

Como aprendeste?

I understand what you're saying (because I speak French to a certain degree) but I should reply in English hahaa

I'm not actually learning Português, but I did a little bit of it along with Spanish on Duolingo so I know a few words and phrases. I do want to learn them both in the future though, but I can't see that happening because I'm lazy and will never get over to any Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking countries to practice :lol:
I speak Seychellois Creole which allows me to understand French pretty well (at a GCSE Level), although I wouldn't say I speak French.
English and some terrible French and even worse Korean. Understand Yoruba completely but can't speak it back. Well I can but it just doesn't sound right.
Reply 126
4 languages (and a B in Spanish if that counts)
I can speak almost 4 languages - Czech (1st), Slovakian (2nd), English (3rd), plus understand a fair amount of Romani. I know this doesn't really count but my predicted French GCSE grade in French is an A*.
(edited 8 years ago)
hey in our family we have a quite a mix of nationalities so I was taught 3 languages growing up, I speak fluent Swedish, Spanish and Italian. And since we moved to England I also speak fluent English
:smile:
Original post by Dinasaurus
I speak Seychellois Creole which allows me to understand French pretty well (at a GCSE Level), although I wouldn't say I speak French.

Tu te débrouilles assez bien en français du coup?
Original post by SGHD26716
4 languages (and a B in Spanish if that counts)

Which ones? :smile:

Original post by sarah9875
hey in our family we have a quite a mix of nationalities so I was taught 3 languages growing up, I speak fluent Swedish, Spanish and Italian. And since we moved to England I also speak fluent English
:smile:

That's nice! Would you say Spanish and Italian are very similar? I can imagine that, speaking Spanish and Italian, you understand Portuguese to a certain extent

Original post by tim_72
I can speak almost 4 languages - Czech (1st), Slovakian (2nd), English (3rd), plus understand a fair amount of Romani. I know this doesn't really count but my predicted French GCSE grade in French is an A*.

Alors tu comprends le français ou non? Courage avec les examens :h:
Original post by Tank Girl
Curious to see how many multilingual people we have here, and what 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) language you speak :smile:

Spoiler

Sure! My first language is English but I'm also fluent in American, Canadian, Australian, Kiwi...
Tu te débrouilles assez bien en français du coup?

Not sure if I am understanding this correctly, something about if I am working hard enough in French? Sorry if it's completely wrong, I basically try and read it and see if any words are similar to Creole and then translate it that way.

I would say I am quite bad at French, I managed to only do well in my Listening and Reading sections at GCSE. My average was still quite good I guess.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Not sure if I am understanding this correctly, something about if I am working hard enough in French? Sorry if it's completely wrong, I basically try and read it and see if any words are similar to Creole and then translate it that way.

I would say I am quite bad at French, I managed to only do well in my Listening and Reading sections at GCSE. My average was still quite good I guess.

Basically, "se débrouiller" means to manage, to get by. So now you get what I was asking :smile:

Ah I'm sure you're not that bad :h: Qu'est-ce que tu as eu à GCSE? (What did you get at GCSE?)
Basically, "se débrouiller" means to manage, to get by. So now you get what I was asking :smile:

Ah I'm sure you're not that bad :h: Qu'est-ce que tu as eu à GCSE? (What did you get at GCSE?)

There's a similar sounding word in Creole, which means to work hard.

I got an A at GCSE, I got a C in my writing I think and a low A in my speaking. But full marks in my listening and reading.

The only question I remember that wasn't 'obvious' to me in the listening was when someone said 'en gratuit' as there is not really a similar word in Creole. But I was able to remember visiting France and seeing the sign on a museum.
Which ones? :smile:

That's nice! Would you say Spanish and Italian are very similar? I can imagine that, speaking Spanish and Italian, you understand Portuguese to a certain extent

Alors tu comprends le français ou non? Courage avec les examens :h:

Yes, I can understand all you wrote. I'd probably embarrass myself if I tried to form a sentence, though. Thanks for the encouragement!
French and Turkish.
I speak Italian, Sinhalese , English and French very fluently and I studied German for 5 years back when I was in Italy
I speak (other than English) French, German, a tiny bit of Japanese and Latin if that counts even though it's a dead language. :smile:
Original post by 1+1=Window
I speak (other than English) French, German, a tiny bit of Japanese and Latin if that counts even though it's a dead language. :smile:

laquelle est ta langue maternelle? comment t'as fait pour les apprendre toutes celles-là?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending