The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Law Applicants: Questions?

Hey everyone!

I know you might all be busy with exam revision and stuff like that, but I thought I'd create this thread to help any law applicants out there!

I'm a first year law student at Kent studying the straight LLB and luckily at this time I don't have so many assessments to submit so please, fire away if you have ANY questions about the course!

Hope to see some of you in September!
What pre-course reading/work would you recommend to prep for the first year?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by jamescw94
Hey everyone!

I know you might all be busy with exam revision and stuff like that, but I thought I'd create this thread to help any law applicants out there!

I'm a first year law student at Kent studying the straight LLB and luckily at this time I don't have so many assessments to submit so please, fire away if you have ANY questions about the course!

Hope to see some of you in September!

Hi,

I got an offer from Kent for Law a month ago. What are the graduate prospects like?
Reply 3
Original post by JacobCookieXD
What pre-course reading/work would you recommend to prep for the first year?

It's actually difficult to suggest what to do beforehand. They told us to not read anything beforehand, though they did suggest we listen to the Serial podcast about Adnan Syed. It's a fantastic podcast, difficult to follow at times, but it does prepare you for how complex some cases are.

Rather unsurprisingly, I'd just recommend you stay up to date with anything going on in the legal world, whether that's about sentencing, a high profile or a fairly extreme crime, or even by trying to get your head around how judgments are written! Look at a case like R v Brown, for instance, and read what was actually published by the House of Lords at the time (the full judgment). That way, when you start, you'll have a fairly good idea of how to read the cases as you'll be doing a lot of that regardless of where you go!

Hope that helps in some way! :smile:

Original post by fire_and_ice
Hi,

I got an offer from Kent for Law a month ago. What are the graduate prospects like?

While I'm only a first year, the graduate prospects these days are VERY good! A lot more law firms in the Magic and Silver Circle, and even U.S firms, are recruiting from Kent (granted not all of them attend the law fair). I know of someone about to graduate with a training contract from a huge U.S firm and you'll often see Kent graduates at some of the big London firms. I can't answer the grad prospects question on a non-law basis but in terms of legal employers, Kent is being taken VERY seriously at the moment!

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by jamescw94
It's actually difficult to suggest what to do beforehand. They told us to not read anything beforehand, though they did suggest we listen to the Serial podcast about Adnan Syed. It's a fantastic podcast, difficult to follow at times, but it does prepare you for how complex some cases are.

Rather unsurprisingly, I'd just recommend you stay up to date with anything going on in the legal world, whether that's about sentencing, a high profile or a fairly extreme crime, or even by trying to get your head around how judgments are written! Look at a case like R v Brown, for instance, and read what was actually published by the House of Lords at the time (the full judgment). That way, when you start, you'll have a fairly good idea of how to read the cases as you'll be doing a lot of that regardless of where you go!

Hope that helps in some way! :smile:

While I'm only a first year, the graduate prospects these days are VERY good! A lot more law firms in the Magic and Silver Circle, and even U.S firms, are recruiting from Kent (granted not all of them attend the law fair). I know of someone about to graduate with a training contract from a huge U.S firm and you'll often see Kent graduates at some of the big London firms. I can't answer the grad prospects question on a non-law basis but in terms of legal employers, Kent is being taken VERY seriously at the moment!

Hope this helps! :smile:

That sounds great, I'm thinking of insuring Kent. If I weren't to get into my firm, I would be looking into commuting to Kent by driving from London. I'm not too keen on moving out. Would you say this is do-able?
Reply 5
Original post by fire_and_ice
That sounds great, I'm thinking of insuring Kent. If I weren't to get into my firm, I would be looking into commuting to Kent by driving from London. I'm not too keen on moving out. Would you say this is do-able?

Depends where exactly in London you'd be commuting from. Say you lived in South East London/Greater London, it's doable if you leave with plenty of time (the M2 is quite unpredictable).
How are you finding the course so far? In terms of favourite modules, quality of the lecturers/teaching, quality of feedback etc. ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending