Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    philosophy will clip an angels wing...

is that an example of negative capability? if it isnt, then a, what is, and b, what does this mean!! help.. thanksx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hester)

is that an example of negative capability? if it isnt, then a, what is, and b, what does this mean!! help.. thanksx
    Example of negative capability would be.. from Ode on a Grecian Urn, "beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know" - accept it, don't explain it.
    So yes, I think 'philosophy will clip an angels wing' is an example of negative capability - it's saying that by trying to explain and understand 'the angel', you are preventing yourself accepting its true and extensive beauty, and thus 'clipping its wings'.
    Anyone agree/disagree?

ReputationRep:
    yep! thats what i thought.. that like, to deep an understanding of something can ruin it. I think i'll use that quote, since the others i see dont really make sense but that one does!

i still dont really get the whole beauty is truth and truth beauty thing.. i never have!!! i was planning just to avoid it... its confusing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hester)

where's that quote from? I take it to mean that reason and philosophy limit the imagination..."do not all charms fly at the touch of philosophy" (Lamia) Keats longs for a transcendent existence (look at Bright Star! and his joy at relecting on the Urn) but all too often "cold philosphy" (Lamia) "tolls" him back to reality....his experiences are limited by the presence of reason and he is all too aware of the unrealistic nature of bowers... for example the "far away syren" that is the perfect romance in King Leah and Lamia and Lycius' dream like existance shatters because of appolonius's wisdom.

sort of round about explanation!

I think it does throw up the question of neg capability as it a longing for an "angel"s experience even though he knows that it will inevitably not be truthful.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know where its from.. hehe.. let me look.. maybe its a letter.. oh no, its from Lamia!! I HATE lamia. i am going to avoid certain poems like the plague tmrw, i want to write about hyperion or to autumn i think, cos i get them poems!!

ReputationRep:
    Negative capability = state of acceptance without "irritable reaching after fact and reason".. That's what keats had to say about it anyway

Good luck, I had my Keats exam last tuesday (WJEC) and would almost go so far as to say I enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    i enjoy keats when i understand it, but there are some topics i just dont like. i'm looking forward to the othello bit more, i love othello! yay. i just pray for a question on iago!

thanks every1!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.