How many of you suffer from DSPS (Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome)?

Watch
Saa-E
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello fellow night owls, I have been suffering from DSPS (Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome) since I was 13. Which means, I usually sleep between 4-6 am (sometimes 8 am!) and wake up at around 1-2pm. I am literally dysfunctional in the mornings. School had been a nightmare for me. However, I have successfully completed my GCSEs and A Levels, and I have already gotten an offer to study Chemical Engineering at Imperial. I am currently enjoying my gap year. I went through hell during my A Levels but I am proud of my achievements. I will be starting uni this September and I am constantly worrying over how I would manage going to morning lectures. Let me tell you this. People do not understand what DSPS really is. They would tell me to go to bed earlier, or wake up earlier, or just tell me I am too lazy. The society doesn't understand, my family doesn't understand; I am completely alone in this battle except for my fellow Night Owls. I wonder how many of you are diagnosed or have self-diagnosed DSPS?
Spoiler:
Show
What is Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome?

Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS), also known as Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder (DSPD), is a neurological sleep disorder in which a person's sleep/wake cycle is delayed with respect to the external day/night cycle. The person is unable to fall asleep until the wee hours, typically somewhere between 2 am and 6am, and sleeps correspondingly longer in the daytime, often well into the afternoon.
Neostigmine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have your schools been accomodating to this or have you just managed on your own?

Sounds tricky!
Saa-E
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Neostigmine)
Have your schools been accomodating to this or have you just managed on your own?

Sounds tricky!
Managed on my own. I sometimes went to school with just 2hrs of sleep...
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
I honestly think I might. I have always, always been a total night owl, but during/since university I've become even... nightier? lol

Forcing myself to wake up at socially acceptable times now leaves me either half-asleep for the whole day, or with a migraine :sad: and neither of those things happened at school, when I could happily get by on a few hours' sleep...

I have even tried this a few times, most times it helps for a week or two but then it just falls apart. My last attempt doesn't seem to have worked at all! I'm beginning to wonder if it would worth seeing how my melatonin levels vary throughout the day, but I'm not completely sure how I could test it myself, or if it would even be useful. What exactly could I do if it turns out my melatonin peaks at some crazy time?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (517)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise