Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi there

    Hoping someone can help!

    I'm a mature student (very mature at 40! And have four children aged 3, 7, 8 and 10), hoping to embark on a FT Foundation Degree in Child Development and Education in September (2016).

    I have a finance/loan question that will determine as to whether I begin my studies or not. If I get tuition fee funding I will be able to study, if I don't I won't, it's (scarily) as simple as that!

    My history is as follows:

    I studied FT at Worcester University in 1994 but terminated that study stint after 8 weeks.

    I then began a FT degree course at Reading University in 1995 (self funded). I passed the first year. Continued to study for the next two years but was 'deemed not to have sat' as my final result because of a family bereavement.

    My question is, will I be entitled to any element of funding, most specifically tuition fees?

    My fingers are firmly crossed as this will be a major deal-breaker for me. Unfortunately, if I am not eligible for tuition fees at a minimum, I will sadly not be able to study.

    If tuition loans are not appropriate are there any other routes of funding that I could explore?

    I look forward to hearing from some one out there soon.

    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    If you have 4 years of previous study you will not be eligible for the tuition fee loan.
    If your self funded course was at a public institution. If it was a private institution then it is not counted and you would have 1 year previous study and be eligible.

    You are still able to apply for a maintenance loan and supplementary grants. You could also speak to the university to ask if there are alternative ways to pay the tuition fees.


University open days

  1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.