Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

Hoping someone can help!

I'm a mature student (very mature at 40! And have four children aged 3, 7, 8 and 10), hoping to embark on a FT Foundation Degree in Child Development and Education in September (2016).

I have a finance/loan question that will determine as to whether I begin my studies or not. If I get tuition fee funding I will be able to study, if I don't I won't, it's (scarily) as simple as that!

My history is as follows:

I studied FT at Worcester University in 1994 but terminated that study stint after 8 weeks.

I then began a FT degree course at Reading University in 1995 (self funded). I passed the first year. Continued to study for the next two years but was 'deemed not to have sat' as my final result because of a family bereavement.

My question is, will I be entitled to any element of funding, most specifically tuition fees?

My fingers are firmly crossed as this will be a major deal-breaker for me. Unfortunately, if I am not eligible for tuition fees at a minimum, I will sadly not be able to study.

If tuition loans are not appropriate are there any other routes of funding that I could explore?

I look forward to hearing from some one out there soon.

Vicky
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi

If you have 4 years of previous study you will not be eligible for the tuition fee loan.
    If your self funded course was at a public institution. If it was a private institution then it is not counted and you would have 1 year previous study and be eligible.

You are still able to apply for a maintenance loan and supplementary grants. You could also speak to the university to ask if there are alternative ways to pay the tuition fees.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.