Can someone clear this up please? (should be pretty simple) Watch

monk1324
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I'm not sure about the difference between b) and c) in this question. c) is surely true because the set that contains only one element (which is 7) is obviously a subset of A.
I think b) should be true as well. 7 is an element of a subset of A so 7 must be an element of A as well, right? Would a curly bracket not make any difference in this case?

Also (only answer this one if you can be bothered), for a) as you can see the question asks to justify that 0 is an element of A but it obviously is. It's just there, how would I justify it?
Thanks
Attached files
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by monk1324)
So I'm not sure about the difference between b) and c) in this question. c) is surely true because the set that contains only one element (which is 7) is obviously a subset of A.
I think b) should be true as well. 7 is an element of a subset of A so 7 must be an element of A as well, right? Would a curly bracket not make any difference in this case?
c isn't true nor is b.

7 is a number
{7} is a set.

A contains the set {7} but does not contain the number 7.
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zacken)
c is true. b isn't.

7 is a number
{7} is a set.

A contains the set {7} but does not contain the number 7.
c isn't true...
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by notnek)
c isn't true...
Whoops. Edited. Not sure how I made that mistake, I think I meant to type 'a' is true. Thanks for spotting it.
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Also (only answer this one if you can be bothered), for a) as you can see the question asks to justify that 0 is an element of A but it obviously is. It's just there, how would I justify it?
Thanks
a is true obviously because 0 is in A.
b isn't true. {7}\in A, but 7 \not{\in} A. Note the difference: {7} is a set with one element, 7.
c isn't true, similarly to b. 7 is in {7}, but isn't in A, so {7} cannot be a subset of A.
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks
The set {1,{2},3,4} has four elements (anything separated by commas).

1 is an element of the set but 2 is not. {2} is an element of the set.

A subset is a set containing elements of the set. So {1.{2}} is a subset here but {2} is not (it's an element). {{2}} is a subset because it's a set containing the element {2}.

{1,2} is also not a subset because 2 is not an element of the set.
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks
For a) I would just describe the set and say that anything separated by a comma is an element.
shamika
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Once you've got the hang of the question, here's another confusing one:

notnek explained why {2} is not the same thing as {{2}}. What about {{2}} and {{{2}}}?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (23)
15.13%
Yes - a food allergy (14)
9.21%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (4)
2.63%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (6)
3.95%
No (105)
69.08%

Watched Threads