Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do these nationals see syrians etc as not white? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO SAY THIS. A lot of them are tanned but still look pretty much white to me. A lot of middle-easterners can easily pass as European if they were raised here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longshot700)
    Alot of these migrants look white to me etc. Pale skin. Why do people see them as not white.
    white is not simply a reference to colour - some syrians are pale skinned because they have prob some greek or roman ancestry going back 2000 years when it was colonised, just like turks. there are darker syrians too that have less but more ancestry from north africa/ arabic.

white genrally referes to a european ancestry ( though stricktly speaking many white people are not naturally 'white' but a pink hue, or a very pale brown if from southern europe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cubic^3)
    White does not necessarily mean pale skin. It usually means European ancestry.
    South Europeans are the same race as Syrians... Make another excuse pls.

But op yeah they are white some people don't like white people to come from countries like theirs poor wartorn a mess etc... Those countries should be filled with blacks and Asian and other nonwhites. So they try to make these people nonwhite even though they're the same race as Italians. They're in the medittereanean racial subset of Caucasians and their skin tone tends to be a 3 on the Fitzpatrick skin which is melanocompetent skin type the lighter shade which is definitely white skin. Of course anyone can have white skin. My father who is black has the same skin type and is 100% black. And Italian Americans tend to have this skin type and are white Caucasians.

ReputationRep:
    Because they look brown, especially compared to 'true' whites such as the Nordics

Also the massive culture difference between us and them makes it hard for people to see themselves in the 'alien'

ReputationRep:
    They are brown not white end of story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EccentricDiamond)
    Nope, seen some paler than white people.

ReputationRep:
    that guy doesn't look too brown, he's a syrian nazi dude.

ReputationRep:
    Some of them are white. If it looks like a duck and quack like a duck then it is a duck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronda Rousey)
    As other people mentioned its largely that they come from a completely different culture to Europeans, and tbh physically they are different:

darker skin
    all dark brown hair
    all brown eyed
    diiferent facial structure/features to Europeans

see pics below comparing Syrian kids to European kids:

Lol there is variation within any populace , you can't see they are all dark eyed or all have dark hair colour. I know syrians with green , grey eye colour :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Because they're Arabic, not Caucasian.
    Arabs are Caucasian. What you mean is that they're not European.

ReputationRep:
    Your argumentative skills stumps us. We all wow in the presence of your intelligent arguments.
    No evidence, not even an argument... smh.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the issue isn't race after all...

Spoiler:
    Show
    "Those White power skinheads, you know, the ones who hate Jews, South Asians, gay people, Black people, women's rights and liberalism, look pretty White to me. Some of them even have White symbols tattoo'd to parts of their bodies."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    that guy doesn't look too brown, he's a syrian nazi dude.

As European as any one of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiBabylonista)

As European as any one of us.
    If you're whiter than Hitler, you're ****ing white enough!
    Anyways, this is really stupid, are we really judging people based on their melanin levels?

ReputationRep:
    If you're whiter than Hitler, you're ****ing white enough!
    Anyways, this is really stupid, are we really judging people based on their melanin levels?
    I'm taking the piss.

The issue isn't race to begin with and those people who believe the issue is race have no place in the discussion. There is however a serious problem in terms of values and the compatibility of the values of the migrants with Western liberal values and it is not racist to point this out.

ReputationRep:
    We Arabs are not white. I know most of levant Arab friends have fair hair and OMG the most mesmerising blue and green eyes but we do not consider ourselves to be white

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiBabylonista)
    I'm taking the piss.

The issue isn't race to begin with and those people who believe the issue is race have no place in the discussion. There is however a serious problem in terms of values and the compatibility of the values of the migrants with Western liberal values and it is not racist to point this out.
    I find myself a billion times more comfortable with Western liberal values than Eastern values and I am brown. I don't see why we should invoke colour here in such arguments. Brown, black or purple, you should only be allowed to stay if you respect the rules of the country and if you fit within the moral base of society.

ReputationRep:
    syrians are levantine people.
    levants are like arabs mixed with white people ( also explaining why they are so hot - subjectively obviously)

from wiki:
    The countries and territories of the Eastern Mediterranean include:

ReputationRep:
    I find myself a billion times more comfortable with Western liberal values than Eastern values and I am brown. I don't see why we should invoke colour here in such arguments. Brown, black or purple, you should only be allowed to stay if you respect the rules of the country and if you fit within the moral base of society.
    Exactly.

It's unhelpful to bring race into the discussion, because it either leads to people shutting down the debate by claiming Europeans are racist for being uncomfortable with the current state of affairs or White Supremacists using people's anger to push a racist agenda which leads to people such as yourself being targeted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronda Rousey)
    As other people mentioned its largely that they come from a completely different culture to Europeans, and tbh physically they are different:

darker skin
    all dark brown hair
    all brown eyed
    diiferent facial structure/features to Europeans

see pics below comparing Syrian kids to European kids:

Yea how anyone can mistake Syrians for whites is beyond me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.