Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Supporting partner in getting a better job while keeping the faith myself Watch

Announcements

Just graduated from University, and my partner graduated a couple months ago. We're both particularly stressed because we are trying to make ends meet. She is renting a two bed house, and barely scrapping by on minimum wage because she can't get a better paying job.

I'm equally as stressed because I'm still working in my zero hour contract min wage job, and I can't really help her out. I'm literally sending the last of my wages to her.

Problem is, she is getting increasingly depressed and down about never having any money. She literally can't afford to eat, and is spending money on rent and bills straight away as well as buses to work.

Now I know people may judge us here, but she has a BA degree in Theatre (2:1) and I have a BA degree in Digital Media. I'm looking for work in Graphic Design. She's basically looking for anything other than retail, fast food and min wage. Shes just so down about it. She's got varied experience- worked in a summer school, pub work, waiting on. She still can't get any work. She doesn't want to go into theatre because of the lack of opportunity. She can't afford to retrain either as she has no money.

I'm stressed out because it is getting me down. I don't know what to do anymore. i'm losing faith that I'll ever get a graduate job.

Any constructive advice?

ReputationRep:
    When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4Astars)
    or ask to swap it for something better like wine

(Original post by hoping4Astars)
    Trying to keep an optimistic outlook, but it is very hard in this economic climate. Especially when my partner is down, and I know there is virtually nothing I can do about this.

Its bad enough that I'm pretty pessimistic at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    You say she's looking for anything other than fast food/retail? Why is that? With all due respect if she's on minimum wage, the well known supermarkets/fast food places pay better than that.
    Even if it's just part time on weekends or something it'll still be more than minimum wage.
    If you can't afford to eat you're not really in a position to turn down opportunities ..and I'm not saying it in a harsh way. I was in a similar position minus the graduating bit and I ended up working in fast food for a bit but that job led me to something better.

Sometimes in life you need to be realistic.
    Sometimes in life you need to go 'down' in order to go 'up'.

ReputationRep:
    should she be reevaluating her living situation? does she need two bedrooms and a whole house or could she live in a studio flat somewhere or with housemates? or even move back home until the job situation improves? unfortunately that is just the way things are in the job market if you don't have a degree in something desirable (which she doesn't), she needs to learn to enjoy the journey and be happy where she is

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.