Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I study Economics or Physics? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of studying Maths, FM, Philosophy Pre-U, and Economics. But should I do Physics instead of Econ. I'm interested in Economics, but I'm also scoring highly in Physics.

EDIT: It seems that Economics A-Level is strongly recommended for Economics at many institutions (such as LSE) if your school/college offers it, so, since I think I am more likely to pursue degree-level Economics than Physics, I think I will go with Economics. This could change though... Thanks everyone for all your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petrus123)
    I am thinking of studying Maths, FM, Philosophy Pre-U, and Economics. But should I do Physics instead of Econ. I'm interested in Economics, but I'm also scoring highly in Physics.
    Anyone?

I didn't want to include too much info, because then it would probably just be another long and boring post...

ReputationRep:
    Good TSR article on exactly this sort of question :
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...-form_subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Good TSR article on exactly this sort of question :
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...-form_subjects
    Thanks for the link. At the moment, I'm really not sure, because while Economics is a reputable A-level (it says so explicitly in Informed Choices), I'm not sure it's a great decision to drop a science for a social science, or if it will actually be a great disadvantage to not have Economics A-level if I want to get a degree in Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link. At the moment, I'm really not sure, because while Economics is a reputable A-level (it says so explicitly in Informed Choices), I'm not sure it's a great decision to drop a science for a social science, or if it will actually be a great disadvantage to not have Economics A-level if I want to get a degree in Economics.
    It is NOT as reputable as physics however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lig1729)
    It is NOT as reputable as physics however.
    Someone's mad about their fine art degree.

Physics!

It's a weird and wonderful subject that I thoroughly enjoy and look foward to doing everyday!
    Sure physics has its moments (:teehee:), but it's alright once you understand the consepts.

Though be careful, don't choose it just because you get good marks in it now. Choose it because you want to learn more about it. That goes for any subject really.

ReputationRep:
    Physics is :heart: Physics is life.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do Maths, FM, Physics and Economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Why don't you do Maths, FM, Physics and Economics?
    Because then I wouldn't have an essay-based subject - yes, economics is one, but it's not quite the same as Eng Lit/Philosophy - and because I love what little philosophy I've been exposed to.

ReputationRep:
    economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    Physics!

It's a weird and wonderful subject that I thoroughly enjoy and look foward to doing everyday!
    Sure physics has its moments (:teehee:), but it's alright once you understand the consepts.

Though be careful, don't choose it just because you get good marks in it now. Choose it because you want to learn more about it. That goes for any subject really.
    It is definitely a subject I feel I would miss, and there are parts of it that I find exciting, but I just don't feel like I'm that passionate about it (probably a result of a comparatively uninteresting GCSE course).

I should pun-ish you for that pun though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    economics
    Why do you think I should go with econ? (Not an accusatory question; just wondering haha)

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think I should go with econ? (Not an accusatory question; just wondering haha)
    more likely to get a job in something economic based imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    more likely to get a job in something economic based imo
    That might be true, but I know I don't need Econ A-Level for an Econ degree, whereas I do need Physics A-level for a Physics degree...

ReputationRep:
    That might be true, but I know I don't need Econ A-Level for an Econ degree, whereas I do need Physics A-level for a Physics degree...
    depends on what u want ultimatley but id go for most likely to get a job

ReputationRep:
    Which tells you all you need to know.

ReputationRep:
    You will always do well in what you enjoy most

ReputationRep:
    Physics would fit better with maths and further maths. Economics is indeed interesting, but whether it's a good subject to take depends what exam board it's in. OCR economics is harder, but the exam seems to test your knowledge very well. In contrast, the AQA economics course is smaller, but the exam tests exam technique rather than what you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    Physics would fit better with maths and further maths. Economics is indeed interesting, but whether it's a good subject to take depends what exam board it's in. OCR economics is harder, but the exam seems to test your knowledge very well. In contrast, the AQA economics course is smaller, but the exam tests exam technique rather than what you know.
    We're doing Edexcel (just switched from AQA). Do you know anything about that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.