Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello!

I have decided to take these options;

German
Philosophy and Ethics
Art and Design

However, I am completely stuck on ideas for a fourth option. I took German, Computing, History and Geography for my GCSE options, has anybody got any suggestions? I have been struggling with this over the past couple of months and my interview for sixth form is very soon. Please note I am not at all maths oriented and am aiming for a B at GCSE in maths, and am thinking about either doing an animation degree or a modern languages degree in future.

I will reply with a list of the A-Level subjects my school offers. Thanks so much to anyone who is willing to help or give some advice!
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Geography
Questions27168
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm. . . well does your college allow you to only do 3 A levels? With the new linear system, many are reverting to only asking for 3. But if you do want to do a fourth one, Geography and History seem like a good idea as they are well valued subjects.
starbix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
(Original post by starbix)
Hello!

I have decided to take these options;

German
Philosophy and Ethics
Art and Design

However, I am completely stuck on ideas for a fourth option. I took German, Computing, History and Geography for my GCSE options, has anybody got any suggestions? I have been struggling with this over the past couple of months and my interview for sixth form is very soon. Please note I am not at all maths oriented and am aiming for a B at GCSE in maths, and am thinking about either doing an animation degree or a modern languages degree in future.

I will reply with a list of the A-Level subjects my school offers. Thanks so much to anyone who is willing to help or give some advice!
Here are the subjects that my sixth form offer:

- Art and Design
- Art Graphics
- Art Textiles
- Biology
- Business
- Chemistry
- Computer Science
- Dance
- Drama
- Economics
- English Lang & Lit
- English Lit
- Food tech
- French/German/Spanish
- Use of maths/Maths/Furthur Maths
- Geography
- History
- Media Studies
- Music
- Philosophy and ethics
- Physics
- Product Design
- Psychology
- Sociology

There are also a number of BTEC options but I would rather not do vocational courses. I have asked my teacher in German if doing another language alongside A Level German, perhaps at GCSE level would be possible but I am waiting on a reply.

Thanks! :hi:
Candy55
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You don't have to choose 4 subjects you know, you can get into uni with only 3.
starbix
Rep:
?
(Original post by futbol)
Geography
Thank you!

(Original post by Questions27168)
Hmm. . . well does your college allow you to only do 3 A levels? With the new linear system, many are reverting to only asking for 3. But if you do want to do a fourth one, Geography and History seem like a good idea as they are well valued subjects.
I have no idea on that, but I could always ask. I was thinking on doing another humanity subject so these responses were both very helpful.
starbix
Rep:
?
(Original post by Candy55)
That's good to know, I didn't know that before. Thank you for your response! I am thinking of asking the sixth form if it is possible to do only three if I really can't choose in the end.
Questions27168
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you!

I have no idea on that, but I could always ask. I was thinking on doing another humanity subject so these responses were both very helpful.
You're welcome. And yes do ask, I'm only doing 3 as well as many other year 11s Better you do 3 you really enjoy then do 4 and neglect one.
starbix
Rep:
?
(Original post by Questions27168)
You're welcome. And yes do ask, I'm only doing 3 as well as many other year 11s Better you do 3 you really enjoy then do 4 and neglect one.
Very true(:
hpiercey3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would say Geography as well, doing A2 AQA now I understand the course is really interesting, fieldwork and case studies - if you like that analysis writing style I would highly recommend it.

Not to mention its regard by university statuses Good luck!
Candy55
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's good to know, I didn't know that before. Thank you for your response! I am thinking of asking the sixth form if it is possible to do only three if I really can't choose in the end.
Your welcome, I asked the same question when I was enrolling at sixth form and that's what they told me. And you should do that, 3 subjects is less work ( I do it too). People choose 4 if they want extra credit and stuff.
starbix
Rep:
?
(Original post by hpiercey3)
I would say Geography as well, doing A2 AQA now I understand the course is really interesting, fieldwork and case studies - if you like that analysis writing style I would highly recommend it.

Not to mention its regard by university statuses Good luck!
Thank you! and good luck with your A2
starbix
Rep:
?
Your welcome, I asked the same question when I was enrolling at sixth form and that's what they told me. And you should do that, 3 subjects is less work ( I do it too). People choose 4 if they want extra credit and stuff.
I'll be sure to ask - I always assumed that everyone did four and either dropped one for A2, or a few don't drop a subject after AS!
Darshan98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am in the exact same situation as the OP. I have chosen three A-Levels - Physics, Maths and Further Maths (I know I sound like a geek :lol: ). Is it ok to do 3 A-Levels to get into any university or do some unis prefer 4 over 3?
Thanks.
KingKumy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You guys are so lucky, at my school, they limit what subjects you can select through internal exams. Oh how I dislike life at a top performing school....

besides, I want to take Maths Physics Philosophy and Chemistry

except I wasn't offered chemistry so hopefully i can swap it out with geo/history that I would enjoy less...
Candy55
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Darshan98)
I am in the exact same situation as the OP. I have chosen three A-Levels - Physics, Maths and Further Maths (I know I sound like a geek :lol: ). Is it ok to do 3 A-Levels to get into any university or do some unis prefer 4 over 3?
Thanks.
The main 3 are the ones that count the most
starbix
Rep:
?
The main 3 are the ones that count the most

I agree!

(Original post by KingKumy)
You guys are so lucky, at my school, they limit what subjects you can select through internal exams. Oh how I dislike life at a top performing school....

except I wasn't offered chemistry so hopefully i can swap it out with geo/history that I would enjoy less...
I hope you can do it in the end!

(Original post by Darshan98)
Thanks.
You don't sound like a geek!
Darshan98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KingKumy)

It is like that at almost evry school I suppose. In our school we don't have internal exams but basically we can only do a subject at A-Level only if we get a B in those subjects or an A in certain extremely competitive subjects like Maths and Science
So dont moan about it. At least there are two of us in the same situation :laugh:
starbix
Rep:
?
I've decided to drop the idea of doing art and design at A Level and I have now chosen to do geog, german and philosophy. I'm thinking of maybe english lit as the fourth subject, or if I could begin to do another language maybe that. Thanks to everyone for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.65%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.47%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (27)
15.88%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (46)
27.06%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (32)
18.82%

Watched Threads