Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Man arrested with guns and a koran at Disneyland Paris Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luminarychild)
    They are not following the quran word by word, give me an example?
    The Quran explicitly permits slavery. It also allows Muslims to have sex with their females slaves.
    ISIS are doing this. The rest of the world (apart from a few nice folk on here) absolutely condemns these practices.
    Which raises the question... Who is following the Quran more accurately? Those doing things that are permitted by Allah in the Quran, of those who reject and condemn things that are permitted by Allah in the Quran?

The Quran says that when you gain mastery of opponents in battle, you should treat the prisoners harshly in order to send a message to other enemies.
    ISIS are doing this. The rest of the world absolutely condemns these practices.
    Which raises the question... Who is following the Quran more accurately? Those doing things that are permitted by Allah in the Quran, of those who reject and condemn things that are permitted by Allah in the Quran?

The Quran says that the punishment for those who oppose Islam can include death and cricifixion.
    ISIS are doing this. The rest of the world absolutely condemns these practices.

they are trying to forcefully repeat history
    No, they are not! They are hoping to fulfil the apocalyptical prophesy of the final showdown at Dabiq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    That's true I guess

'Radical Muslims'' are just psycopaths tbh
    I'd say they're more like lost sheep. Desperate for guidance, easily manipulated, a deep-seated need to be led.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    I'd say they're more like lost sheep. Desperate for guidance, easily manipulated, a deep-seated need to be led.
    Yeah the problem is they're trying to be leaders

._.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    I'm trying to think of another ideology that explicitly calls for the death of those that oppose it. Especially one that is subscribed to by over 1 billion people.
    And you won't find any because I don't think any of them do.

You are entirely correct that there are other political and social systems that are imperfect, but whataboutery is not a defence that is used by the intellectually honest.
    That is not whataboutery. That was in relation to your question, postulating that only Islam exclusively calls for violence and oppression.

Moreover, my question was specifically asking what it is about Islam that, when implemented literally and without any modern, revisionist spin, always seems to result in death or oppression for so many people - bearing in mind that it is not some man-made system devised to gain and maintain power, but the final and perfect revelation of an infallible, omniscient being as the ultimate guide for a perfect society?
    Perhaps you're overthinking this? Perhaps it's simply man-made, which would certainly explain the "violence and oppression"?

So I ask again, why is this? (Answers to the question, rather than something completely irrelevant would be appreciated).
    Asking silly questions like that may get you silly answers.

But I'm not aware of any ideology that espouses this.
    And define "undesirables".
    Also, your premise that euthanising the disabled will benefit society is fundamentally flawed, as we have clear evidence that those with "deformities" can make valuable contributions to society.
    In order for humans to thrive, we can't have weak people. We must be ruthless and do what needs to be done.

Although, we are actually following a program of "eugenics-lite", by identifying and attempting to correct genetic predisposition to certain conditions. Do you object to this?
    Yes. One should waste money fixing issues when one could simply create something new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    And you won't find any because I don't think any of them do.
    Agreement.
    Result!

That is not whataboutery. That was in relation to your question, postulating that only Islam exclusively calls for violence and oppression.
    Whataboutery compounded with a straw man. I have never claimed that Islam is the only religion that contains exhortations to violence and oppression/discrimination.

Perhaps you're overthinking this? Perhaps it's simply man-made, which would certainly explain the "violence and oppression"?
    Well, clearly. The point was in response to those who claim that it is divine in origin.

Asking silly questions like that may get you silly answers.
    Explain why it was a "silly question".

In order for humans to thrive, we can't have weak people. We must be ruthless and do what needs to be done.
    Nonsense. "Weak people" have been around since time immemorial. In fact, physically weak people dying early may well have held back the advancement of mankind, if they may have had some mental advantage that would not become apparent until later in life.

Yes. One should waste money fixing issues when one could simply create something new.
    I'm not sure what you mean here by "create something new".
    Why throw away something that can be fixed, in preference to making something new that may not be any better than what you have thrown away, and may possibly be worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Agreement.
    Result!

Whataboutery compounded with a straw man. I have never claimed that Islam is the only religion that contains exhortations to violence and oppression/discrimination.

Well, clearly. The point was in response to those who claim that it is divine in origin.

Explain why it was a "silly question".

Nonsense. "Weak people" have been around since time immemorial. In fact, physically weak people dying early may well have held back the advancement of mankind, if they may have had some mental advantage that would not become apparent until later in life.

I'm not sure what you mean here by "create something new".
    Why throw away something that can be fixed, in preference to making something new that may not be any better than what you have thrown away, and may possibly be worse?
    Seeing as how you've decided to start down the road of facetiousness, I'm not going to engage with you any longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Seeing as how you've decided to start down the road of facetiousness, I'm not going to engage with you any longer.
    Seeing as you've decided to start down the road of "doing a runner", I'll still be here if you decide to change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)

I was merely defending him because I KNOW he was falsely accused.
    If I thought he was guilty I wouldn't have quoted the user in the first place.
    How can you know he is innocent

unless it was you who made the account in his name

J'accuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)

J'accuse.
    She "knows" he is innocent in the same way that she "knows" that Jibril dictated Allah's words to Muhammad.

Absolute certainty based on a desire for it to be true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NursingStudent93)
    religion of peace
    The followers that misinterpret do not represent the religion.

ReputationRep:
    Derkaderkland Paristan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiyongtoki)
    Maybe not, but the passages which "justify" their actions might.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)

J'accuse.
    Lolled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiyongtoki)
    So those who insist that it is The Religion Of Peace™ (despite all the scriptural and historical evidence) simply do not represent Islam.
    I guess you could say that, although I would argue that they represent an interpretation of it, albeit an innacurate one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.