Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    75 - 13 = 62 that could be a low A??
    I really hope so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Wednesday 25/05/16 ~ Day of maths exam 2/3
    Aaaaaaand i've messed up again! According to the unofficial mark scheme, I have dropped 12 or 13 marks across the paper which probably puts me at a B if the paper was as "easy" as a lot of people are bragging about it to be with their 95+ UMS. Seriously... i've spent the past 5 months literally dedicating my life towards these exams- and for what? Only for me to throw all of this hard work away in the exam. I completely messed up on both parts of the logs question and then I couldn't prove the first half of the last question because I was working in degrees and not radians.
    Time spent doing something does not mean you have a right to succeed in it. I don't know anything about your maths, but it sounds to me like you have done every past paper and just got used to doing the questions. To anyone who actually understands the maths, it would be obvious that you had to use radians, and that the lengths were both x.

Also be careful with your use of 'messed up'. If you are 'messing up' every maths exam, it probably means you're setting your expectations too high. Both of your C1 and C2 scores are not bad by any stretch of the imagination!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Time spent doing something does not mean you have a right to succeed in it. I don't know anything about your maths, but it sounds to me like you have done every past paper and just got used to doing the questions. To anyone who actually understands the maths, it would be obvious that you had to use radians, and that the lengths were both x.

Also be careful with your use of 'messed up'. If you are 'messing up' every maths exam, it probably means you're setting your expectations too high. Both of your C1 and C2 scores are not bad by any stretch of the imagination!
    Yeah I guess you're right. Tbh I was just annoyed that (a) there was 6 marks worth of proof because I've never been able to wrap my head around it and (b) that it didn't occur to me at the time that radians were used. I'm also not a natural 'maths person' if thats the correct term(?) so the only way I can wrap my head around it is by getting used to the style of questions.
    Sorry if that post offended you btw (since I've seen on your blog that you are very good at maths), I was more hinting at the people who were claiming that the whole paper was easy and that the grade boundary for an A should be super high just because they found all of it easy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess you're right. Tbh I was just annoyed that (a) there was 6 marks worth of proof because I've never been able to wrap my head around it and (b) that it didn't occur to me at the time that radians were used. I'm also not a natural 'maths person' if thats the correct term(?) so the only way I can wrap my head around it is by getting used to the style of questions.
    Sorry if that post offended you btw (since I've seen on your blog that you are very good at maths), I was more hinting at the people who were claiming that the whole paper was easy and that the grade boundary for an A should be super high just because they found all of it easy.
    It was not an easy core 2 paper. Most of the people are either trolling to make themselves feel better, to put others down or if they did genuinely find it easy (about 10%). Remember that TSR already has a high proportion of 'top students'.

Also, the fact that Core 1 was much more difficult than previous years has conflated this view. This years C2 was definitely in the top 3 hardest Core 2 exams. It was mainly that there were 2 or 3 very tricky questions, and the rest were reasonably straightforward, whereas in other papers the questions are more similar in difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 26/05/16

Do you ever have that feeling after exams where you're so used to revising that you just don't know what to do anymore now that they're over? I felt like that today but then it dawned on me that my second physics exam is in 13 days and stats is in 19 days. Therefore, I can relax a little but I still need to revise.
    That being said, I've done two S1 papers today and got Bs in both. The main reason I lose marks are:
    . I often don't read the question properly. For example, "Find the mean and standard deviation for this data". I just found the mean. "Comment on the skewness of this distribution". I just skipped this part as if it didn't exist! Whoops.
    . Not linking the 'explain' questions to the context of the question.
    . Rounding my answers too soon and then using these rounded answers in later parts of the questions which results in an inaccurate answer.

So, these will be my targets to overcome for S1 as I continue to do more past papers.
    Tomorrow I will figure out how on Earth i'm going to prepare for my second physics exam since I all I have is my over-complicated textbook, out-of-date revision guide and two specimen papers.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 28/05/16

I have done two S1 papers today and am slowly improving. I just need to understand probability a bit better so i'll probably do some topic-based questions on them tomorrow. I still have no idea how to revise for my practical physics exam. I'd much rather have just done actual coursework than have do an entire exam on practical skills and data handling. Oh, and a nice bunch of 30 multiple choice questions to spice things up a bit.
    I also have a problem regarding the revision plan I made for this week because I made it based on the assumption that I wouldn't be leaving the house at all (which is usually the case. Okay, a bit hyperbolic but still)... Now I sort of have plans for every day of the week so I guess i'll have to get everything done in the mornings and evenings. S1 will definitely be prioritised over physics though because my grade in AS physics won't count towards my actual A-level unlike maths.
    Now i'm stressing over the fact that I may not have time to do much preparation for physics (two S1 papers + marking = 3 hours, 20 minutes a day) and I doubt I'll have any free time after that. Oh well, we shall see.

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 02/06/16

I don't even know why I'm writing a post because I haven't even done much since I last posted (besides S1 papers). I guess this is the best place to update whats going on though since it is my blog after all.
    Today I have done a normal S1 paper (June 2011) and got 66/75. Then I went to the hairdressers which took all afternoon and in the evening, I did a S1 Solomon paper. I am yet to complete the last question but my room has gone dark (shock) and I don't like working with my light on because it makes my room go a weird pinky-orange colour which is very distracting.
    I've worked out that in order to get an A overall in maths, I need to get 64-67 marks in S1 which I think is doable.
    I'm feeling very annoyed at how little work i've manged to get done so far this half term. My family keep dragging me out the house and my friends keep asking me to meet up or come round for sleepovers which is great until you literally have no free days left !

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 04/06/16
    So far today, I have done 1.5 S1 Solomon papers (the .5 is from the one I was supposed to finish yesterday) and got 65/75 on the Solomon C paper and 63/75 on the Solomon B paper.

I have just finished doing and marking the first specimen paper for physics paper 2 and got 34/70 = E which I am absolutely over the moon about. Jk. I hate AQA- the new spec questions are worded in such an awkward way. Lol, Thursday is going to be so fun!!! I miss OCR... they are the best board for the sciences imo (talking from gcse experience).
    I'm going to do some past questions on uncertainties now from different exam boards, after de-coding my over-complicated textbook for any signs of how to work with them.

ReputationRep:
    Sunday 05/06/16

Today has been very chilled out, but I will condone that since it is a Sunday ( the day of rest ) after all.

In the morning, I completed another S1 Solomon paper which was quite tricky but I managed to get 68/75. For the first time ever, I actually managed to answer the probability AND the coding questions correctly, which are usually where I drop marks.

I spent about an hour or so in the afternoon making notes on uncertainties and the rest of the data handling skills from my physics textbook and I finally understand uncertainties now. After that, I suddenly got really sleepy and felt like I was getting a migraine so I didn't do anything else. I've came up with a little 'action plan' for physics which i'll write here:
    Monday: Make notes on all of the 6 required practicals we've done.
    Tuesday: Skim through the textbook and make brief notes on topics/concepts I'm not fully confident in. Then do the second specimen paper.
    Wednesday: Go through my flashcards, answer some mechanics past paper questions. Skim through textbook again.
    Thursday: Focus on mechanics and interference until 13:15 when the exam begins.

That's all that I can think of doing for physics due to it being the new specification with barely any past papers to look at.

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 07/06/16

Okay, so this is sort of irrelevant but still related to A-levels... Last night I had a nightmare that I was doing A-level french and it was the day of my speaking exam and I hadn't done any preparation AT ALL - I hadn't even written a draft or anything. That was so scary... I literally hate being unprepared for things. The worst part was that I hadn't even not done anything on purpose; I had just forgotten about the exam until the morning of it. Arrghhh :eek:

Anyway, today I am doing two S1 past papers:
    Solomon E : 67/75
    Edexcel June 2014 R: 68/75. Awks when you feel really confident after doing it but still manage to drop 7 marks... oh well, i'll be happy with this in the actual exam!

And then later on, i'm going to do some "speed revision" for physics before doing the second specimen paper.
    AQA Specimen paper 2 (second set) : Crap and embarrassing af but.... 31/70....Yeah i'm gonna fail physics. Sooo annoying because I understand everything on the syllabus but can't do the new questions even though I can do the questions from the old spec just fine... If I was born a year earlier then maybe I could get an A but not this year Fudging new specification ruining my life!!!
    I'm gonna do the OCR and Edexcel specimen papers tomorrow to see whether AQA are evil or if i'm just stupid haha...ha

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 07/06/16
    Okay, so this is sort of irrelevant but still related to A-levels... Last night I had a nightmare that I was doing A-level french and it was the day of my speaking exam and I hadn't done any preparation AT ALL - I hadn't even written a draft or anything. That was so scary... I literally hate being unprepared for things. The worst part was that I hadn't even not done anything on purpose; I had just forgotten about the exam until the morning of it. Arrghhh :eek:

Anyway, today I am doing two S1 past papers:
    Solomon E : 67/75
    Edexcel June 2014 R:

And then later on, i'm going to do some "speed revision" for physics before doing the second specimen paper.
    AQA Specimen paper 2 (second set) :
    Not bad! How many exams have you got left?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Not bad! How many exams have you got left?
    Just two- physics and S1 which are about a week apart from each other which is nice

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 09/06/16 ~ Day of physics exam 2/2

Ugh that was such a horrid exam. I think i'll be lucky to get a C tbh but hopefully I'll have a generous marker. Lol who am I kidding, this is physics . The only things making me not feel terrible about this exam are that I know that this grade will not influence my overall A-level physics grade whatsoever (the only nice thing about the new A-levels) and that the majority of people who did the exam found it hard. For example, the super super smart people in my class got a C or below in the specimen papers. Also, there's a guy in my year who is literally a physics and maths genius and he was crying in the exam today.... so it must have been difficult!

After dinner i'm going to do a past paper for S1 and I will report back how I did.

S1 Jan 2014 IAL: 70/75 - marks were lost due to silly mistakes rather than lack of understanding and this would still be a fab result in the exam so i'm happy

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 09/06/16 ~ Day of physics exam 2/2
    Ugh that was such a horrid exam. I think i'll be lucky to get a C tbh but hopefully I'll have a generous marker. Lol who am I kidding, this is physics . The only things making me not feel terrible about this exam are that I know that this grade will not influence my overall A-level physics grade whatsoever (the only nice thing about the new A-levels) and that the majority of people who did the exam found it hard. For example, the super super smart people in my class got a C or below in the specimen papers. Also, there's a guy in my year who is literally a physics and maths genius and he was crying in the exam today.... so it must have been difficult!

After dinner i'm going to do a past paper for S1 and I will report back how I did.

S1 Jan 2014 IAL:
    Aw, don't worry about it! I found the paper quite difficult myself too. But I think the grade boundaries will be dropped to a maximum of 65% for an A. (last year it was 70%). SO you can lose up to 50 marks across both papers THERE IS STILL HOPE FOR US ALL ! But good luck with S1! I'll be taking it too next week

ReputationRep:
    Aw, don't worry about it! I found the paper quite difficult myself too. But I think the grade boundaries will be dropped to a maximum of 65% for an A. (last year it was 70%). SO you can lose up to 50 marks across both papers THERE IS STILL HOPE FOR US ALL ! But good luck with S1! I'll be taking it too next week
    I've probably dropped more than 50 marks across both papers haha (oops) but hopefully i'll be better at this stuff next year after having done mechanics in maths. My silly mistakes escalated to after the exam too, when I ended up trying to hand in the formula booklet to the invigilator instead of the number card when we collected our phones
    Good luck for S1 to you too!!! Preying for a nice paper

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 11/06/16

Yesterday I did two S1 papers:
    Edexcel Jan 2015 IAL : 62/75 (I was in a bad mood due to spiders and thunderstorms so I didn't put much effort in)
    Edexcel June 2014 : 71/75 (The thunderstorm had stopped)

And today is going to consist of more S1 papers. I'm only planning on doing three because I don't want to get sick of it before the exam but I may do another one if I get bored.
    Edexcel June 2012: 71/75
    Edexcel Solomon G: 72/75
    Edexcel June 2013 'R' : 66/75 - Evil probability questions :\

Also, today is exactly a year since I finished year 11 and I cannot believe that. I still can't listen to 'See You Again' by Wiz Khalifa (the song they played at our leavers assembly) without getting misty-eyed even though I didn't particularly enjoy school. I wish I would have made one of these blogs when I was in year 11... it really would have helped because I used to trick myself into believing I was doing something useful when I actually wasn't. For example, making pretty A3 posters for geography and not looking at them again until the morning of the exam. Also, I hadn't even read the whole of 'To Kill A Mockingbird' by the time of my English lit exam, despite having started it in class in year ten. Ah well, at least i've changed my ways now (although the person who marks my physics paper 2 exam may disagree)

ReputationRep:
    Sunday 12/06/16

3 days, 15 past papers...
    This is probably going to chase away all of the sanity in me but i'm going to do 15 S1 past papers over the next three days, so 5 a day (7 and a half hours of maths ), in the lead up to my S1 exam on Wednesday. Why am I doing this? Idek... I don't need to do it. But I want to. I want to walk out of that S1 exam knowing that I couldn't possibly have done any more preparation. Its just going to be me, my desk and S1. Hopefully my mind will go into S1 auto-pilot, to the point where I am even dreaming about it in my sleep. All of the definitions and methods will also be fresh in my short-term memory for the exam so hopefully this will deter silly mistakes. The minimum mark i'm aiming for is 67/75 which is the lowest mark that will (hopefully) guarantee me an A overall in maths, based on previous years grade boundaries.
    Today's past paper line up is (quite random):
    Edexcel June 2014 IAL: 71/75
    Edexcel January 2010: 74/75
    Edexcel June 2013: 70/75
    Edexcel Solomon H: 56/75 - Very tricky paper... it had one of those questions where each part is dependent on a previous part and if you can't do that part then you're screwed.
    Edexcel June 2009: 75/75

My sixth form are expecting us back tomorrow to start A2 lessons, but as you may have guessed, I will not be attending until my S1 exam is over. As if I'm going to waste precious time sat in psychology and double physics when I have an exam that counts towards my overall A-level maths grade in a couple of days! I don't know why they couldn't have pushed it back to Wednesday/Thursday tbh, since over half of my year group are doing maths and hence have S1 on Wednesday. They'll probably phone home and start whining (like they always do when you're absent for a whole day) about how my attendance is going to go down (ReALLy?!?!) and how i'm missing out on "important stuff" that I need to know for A2 but hey, guess what, I have 6 weeks of summer in which I can go over what I missed during the two days I was absent!!!
    If I went in for those two days, I know for a fact that I would barely do anything for S1 because I would be tired, distracted and stressed out over nothing. Therefore, I probably wouldn't do as well in the exam. Seriously, if they're going to constantly remind us that we are 'adults', then the least they can do is let us, as adults, decide whether or not we want to come in for lessons when we have an important exam coming up shortly. Rant over. I love ranting

ReputationRep:
    Sunday 12/06/16

3 days, 15 past papers...
    This is probably going to chase away all of the sanity in me but i'm going to do 15 S1 past papers over the next three days, so 5 a day (7 and a half hours of maths ), in the lead up to my S1 exam on Wednesday. Why am I doing this? Idek... I don't need to do it. But I want to. I want to walk out of that S1 exam knowing that I couldn't possibly have done any more preparation. Its just going to be me, my desk and S1. Hopefully my mind will go into S1 auto-pilot, to the point where I am even dreaming about it in my sleep. All of the definitions and methods will also be fresh in my short-term memory for the exam so hopefully this will deter silly mistakes. The minimum mark i'm aiming for is 67/75 which is the lowest mark that will (hopefully) guarantee me an A overall in maths, based on previous years grade boundaries.
    Today's past paper line up is (quite random):
    Edexcel June 2014 IAL: 71/75
    Edexcel January 2010:
    Edexcel June 2013:
    Edexcel Solomon H:
    Edexcel June 2009:

My sixth form are expecting us back tomorrow to start A2 lessons, but as you may have guessed, I will not be attending until my S1 exam is over. As if I'm going to waste precious time sat in psychology and double physics when I have an exam that counts towards my overall A-level maths grade in a couple of days! I don't know why they couldn't have pushed it back to Wednesday/Thursday tbh, since over half of my year group are doing maths and hence have S1 on Wednesday. They'll probably phone home and start whining (like they always do when you're absent for a whole day) about how my attendance is going to go down (ReALLy?!?!) and how i'm missing out on "important stuff" that I need to know for A2 but hey, guess what, I have 6 weeks of summer in which I can go over what I missed during the two days I was absent!!!
    If I went in for those two days, I know for a fact that I would barely do anything for S1 because I would be tired, distracted and stressed out over nothing. Therefore, I probably wouldn't do as well in the exam. Seriously, if they're going to constantly remind us that we are 'adults', then the least they can do is let us, as adults, decide whether or not we want to come in for lessons when we have an important exam coming up shortly. Rant over. I love ranting

Careful you don't go mad LOL... I'll be doing about 3 papers per day up until the exams.. (I have other exams too).
    Also since its only two days till your exam you can ask your teacher to excuse you for the lessons. I personally will be requesting leave from my lessons up until my exams finish. If I don't get it... I won't show up for my lessons #ThugLife

ReputationRep:
    Careful you don't go mad LOL... I'll be doing about 3 papers per day up until the exams.. (I have other exams too).
    Also since its only two days till your exam you can ask your teacher to excuse you for the lessons. I personally will be requesting leave from my lessons up until my exams finish. If I don't get it... I won't show up for my lessons #ThugLife
    Yeah I would email my head of year asking for permission but I know his response will be "No because then i'll have to let most of the year group stay off until Wednesday and you're no different bla bla bla" so I think its best if I just don't come in and if he phones home then i'll say I've switched my wifi off so I can revise and I didn't get his email and I thought study leave finished when exams finished lmao

ReputationRep:
    Monday 13/06/16

My mum has been an absolute life saver today and has rang in sick for me at sixth form so I can stay at home and revise for S1 without having teachers phoning home and complaining. I think quite a lot of people are doing the same tbf... who knew that so many year 12s could have "diarrohoea" at once? . Writing this blog post may seem counter-productive but i'm currently on a study break so yeah.
    In chronological order, these are the past papers that i'll be doing today:

Edexcel Solomon I: 71/75
    Edexcel Solomon J: 63/75Meh.. awks when all the marks you lose are from an easy question that you didn't read properly. Note to self: don't rush.
    Edexcel January 2015 IAL (again): 70/75
    Edexcel Solomon K: 65/75
    Edexcel June 2010: 73/75

I think i'll print out the Solomon papers I have yet to do because my eyes are beginning to hurt from squinting at my computer screen. I'll also print out the Jan 2016 IAL paper which i'm going to do tomorrow morning and staple the sheets together so its like a real exam paper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.