The Student Room Group

Boys - have you ever had testicular torsion/ chronic epididymitis

and did it affect your sex life?
I'm a 21 year old girl and my boyfriend has this. We haven't had sex in 8 months and I'm getting so worried about both him and our relationship. I'd never put pressure on him especially if sex caused him any pain or discomfort, but it's affecting our intimacy and closeness.

For those of you that don't know, epididymitis (pronounced eppi-diddy-mitas) is an inflammation of the coiled tube (epididymis) at the back of the testicle that stores and carries sperm. Males of any age can get epididymitis, but it is most common in 18-30's. It can be caused by certain STD's, bacterial infections and urine infections, but in other cases it can come on randomly.

He has a dull ache behind the balls and sex sometimes makes it worse. His GP
Reply 1
(accidentally pressed submit too soon) His GP said the irritation can last up to 3 years, sometimes longer, and it was 3 years now that he was first diagnosed. I encourage him to go back but he is reluctant and he is scared and I don't want to nag him. It's a really sensitive situation and he already struggles with being open about personal things like this. When it first happened he was terrified it could be cancer and it was a really traumatic time for him, I think the whole experience has left him with negative associations to sex.
Have you offered to go with him?
Reply 3
Yes, I have! I'm not sure what else to suggest, I've said I'm here for him and we will take things at a slow pace until he's fully better. But I'm worried that I don't even want sex with him anymore either. It's affecting how attractive I feel about myself, even though he still says he does find me really attractive. He's just totally lost all desire at the moment. He doesn't even want to touch me or anything in that way, but will still cuddle. It feels like we're just really close friends :frown: :frown: :frown: Should I just wait and see if things get better? Surely he will get better eventually and want sex again ?
Hi,

I'm 18 now, When I was 12 I had testicular torsion. I was supposed to have emergency surgery but I didn't which resulted me to lose one testicle. I had operation last year to fix the remaining one to avoid the same thing happening again, 2 months after my operation I started to develop pain on the testicle and the lower tummy. I still have the pain and it gets really worse sometimes. I went to the A&E twice and they discharged me with painkillers but I don't want to take painkillers my entire life. I decided to see my GP and tell him that things are getting worse for me and the pain is still there.He sent me for a ultrasound scan and after the scan I found a small lump on the testicle it self which can be cancer, my GP is trying to convince me that it isn't cancer but it's epididymal cyct. I've never had sex so I don't really think its epididymal cyct. Now he booked me for another scan and to see a Urologist and I'm really worried. I'm still not convinced though since I have all the symptoms of the testicular cancer and if it was a epididymal cyct, the lump would've been on the lower side of the testicle not the front side.Don't worry about your boyfriend, I'm pretty sure he'll be alright. Just give him some time and tell him not to look up on the internet. It makes him panic more and worry. And tell him to closely look at the testicle itself at least once a week and see if there are any changes. He might have a lump which is causing him pain/discomfort .:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest