Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 doing French, German and History. I applied to do French and German and got offers from all 5 unis. When I applied, I did want to do both of those subjects - I had wanted to do French for a long time and German I chose on a bit of a whim but I was happy with my decision anyway. Out of all the ones I've applied to, I like the course at Leeds best but didn't like the place and I really don't want to live there. I loved Manchester itself but don't like the course. The others I'm kind of ambivalent towards.

I've booked places for all 5 visit days to try and persuade myself that I like any of them enough to go, and I'm constantly on the Leeds website looking at the modules and trying to persuade myself that the course is good enough to justify moving somewhere I don't like. But now that I've looked at all the modules so much I'm even beginning to lose interest in them. I think about it so much that I end up not liking anything.

I used to like the French language but not be that interested in France, and have the opposite with German, but now I feel like I'm even losing interest in Germany and French. In history we are doing Russia and coursework on America(n foreign policy). I'm sick of Russia as we did it last year as well, but the America coursework is probably the most interesting thing I'm studying right now. What I would really like to do is American Studies (without much literature, so just American history, politics and a bit of culture) but I'm worried that it's a waste of money. However I have been interested in America for years and it's the only interest that's stuck.

I've looked at tons of courses in history, politics, international relations, languages, and although some do seem interesting I don't know if I'm interested enough in any of them to study just that subject for three/four years.

I'm having a gap year next year anyway which I hope to spend in America so I can always reapply, but I don't know whether to bother seeing as I can't seem to find anything else I would truly rather do. I will probably accept my Leeds offer anyway but then cancel it in September or something if I do decide to reapply, but not sure if any of this is a wise decision or not. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    I think having a gap next year will help make the next step clearer and might help make a firm decision.

One of the best things you can do in the meantime is have a look through lots of prospectuses - there are so many courses out there that we don't come across until university that may just spark your interest!

If you think you will get bored of just looking for one subject then maybe look for a combined honours? I've come across some seemingly odd ones so you may find a combination you like.

Also I'm doing A2 History and it sounds like the some topics - I know exactly what you mean!

I think that above everything it is important that you go for a course that you want to do not because you think you should.

Hope this has been at least a little bit of help!

ReputationRep:
    Take the year and experience America firsthand. That should help you decide. What will definitely be a waste of time and money is going for a course that you'll end up scrapping in the long run.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.