Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    yes, definitely harder than previous years Maybe between 55-60 for gold perhaps a little more or less.
    I definitely agree, I got gold and went to a follow on round last year, this year I'm doubting if I'll get a gold :/ But you never know...

ReputationRep:
    #HopeForGold
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dizgurl)
    I definitely agree, I got gold and went to a follow on round last year, this year I'm doubting if I'll get a gold :/ But you never know...
    Same with me- got a merit in the pink Kangaroo last year. Then again, last years challenge completely tripped up 2 of the better mathematicians in the year (no clue why they were tripped up but I wasn't) and one of the people who guessed most of them got top in the school in the first round (and they're not even in top set this year).
    I'm currently regretting not going for many of the answers I had but didn't write down in case they were wrong.

ReputationRep:
    yes, definitely harder than previous years Maybe between 55-60 for gold perhaps a little more or less.
    Do you think they might be that low?

ReputationRep:
    If you all think you regret your answers,

I didn't finish the paper
    I had a bad day overall
    I read 3 questions wrong
    I got 74 marks I think if I remember my answers correctly which I don't.

I could've got 89 and first time as I wanted today, got into the pink kangaroo by ease.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snehhz)
    Do you think they might be that low?
    it was 65 last year wasn't it? I reckon 1-2 questions less right is about right. It was much more difficult and I'm a year older and wiser

(Original post by Chittesh14)
    If you all think you regret your answers,

I didn't finish the paper
    I had a bad day overall
    I read 3 questions wrong
    I got 74 marks I think if I remember my answers correctly which I don't.

I could've got 89 and first time as I wanted today, got into the pink kangaroo by ease.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It says on the front of the paper "DO NOT expect to finish the paper" so you shouldn't be surprised at that.
    I'm sure we all read questions wrong- I know I did and I'm not even going to try counting how many
    74 marks is good. I don't remember what I put well enough to add it up but I know several of the ones I put I got wrong and I didn't answer enough questions for my liking either.
    And if you're in the pink kangaroo doesn't that mean you're year 9 equivalent? In that case you won't have done the intermediate one before and should expect to find it harder than the junior one

ReputationRep:
    Ahh all the answers i got first time was right!! Then i changed it how stupid of me 😣 i think i got around 63 ish overall im so mad at myself, last year i got silver but this year because of exams i dont think i did particulary well smh
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeolk)
    Ahh all the answers i got first time was right!! Then i changed it how stupid of me 😣 i think i got around 63 ish overall im so mad at myself, last year i got silver but this year because of exams i dont think i did particulary well smh
    I did that for soo many questions (eg the stupid angle one where I decided there wasn't enough As so I changed it to A)

ReputationRep:
    I got 86 max, 'cause I messed up on no. 22.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there's any possibility of the MacLaurin Olympiad being around the 85 mark instead of 95-100 as it usually is? I know it only usually fluctuates by 2-3 marks, but still...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I haven't checked all my answers but I got max 72 this time tbf we didn't know about it til yesterday though!

ReputationRep:
    Same with me- got a merit in the pink Kangaroo last year. Then again, last years challenge completely tripped up 2 of the better mathematicians in the year (no clue why they were tripped up but I wasn't) and one of the people who guessed most of them got top in the school in the first round (and they're not even in top set this year).
    I'm currently regretting not going for many of the answers I had but didn't write down in case they were wrong.
    Yeah, I realised 16 would be B, but i wasn't sure so i didn't go for it, but I'm seriously regretting it now atm :/
    I mean tbh the intermediate challenge isn't that important ( to me), I'm currently in year 10, so I'd be focusing more on GCSE's than the maths challenges. But if there is any challenge I want to do well in would be the senior maths challenge because it gets more attention and theres obviously the BMO.
    I have got best in year in past maths challenges I've done, doubt i will this year...but it wasn't my priority anyways.
    Btw well done for the merit in the kangaroo!!!

ReputationRep:
    it was 65 last year wasn't it? I reckon 1-2 questions less right is about right. It was much more difficult and I'm a year older and wiser

It says on the front of the paper "DO NOT expect to finish the paper" so you shouldn't be surprised at that.
    I'm sure we all read questions wrong- I know I did and I'm not even going to try counting how many
    74 marks is good. I don't remember what I put well enough to add it up but I know several of the ones I put I got wrong and I didn't answer enough questions for my liking either.
    And if you're in the pink kangaroo doesn't that mean you're year 9 equivalent? In that case you won't have done the intermediate one before and should expect to find it harder than the junior one
    Pink Kangaroo is for Year 10/11, I'm in Year 11.
    I done Junior back in Year 8 lol, that was a bad day too - I still remember, mainly because I found it hard or something - got a bronze.
    I've done IMC 2015... bloody hell that was annoying.

This one was much easier I guess and yeah I'm happy with 74 but just imagine if I had done the other three correctly with like 2 minutes extra if I read over my answers etc - I'd have got into the pink kangaroo, my first ever time for a follow-up round and I'd be the first in my year to get it. I'm not that clever but I still feel happy which is why I hoped for pink kangaroo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11ahf)
    Do you think there's any possibility of the MacLaurin Olympiad being around the 85 mark instead of 95-100 as it usually is? I know it only usually fluctuates by 2-3 marks, but still...
    I think the paper was alright - some parts were hard I guess for me and some parts that were hard I found easy :O xD.
    But, I feel it will stay at 100+... remember 2014 boundaries it was 100 or something lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    I think the paper was alright - some parts were hard I guess for me and some parts that were hard I found easy :O xD.
    But, I feel it will stay at 100+... remember 2014 boundaries it was 100 or something lol.
    I would have done better had all the questions been hard - at least then stupid mistakes would have been forgiveable! It's so frustrating as the grade boundary just keeps getting higher and higher for the Olympiad every year as I get older. And every single year I am <10 marks off the boundary! Then I end up doing the kangaroo, and always get a merit, but it doesn't mean anything: it's all like "Great! You did well in a 2nd best qualification!" Oh well - at least I have two more shots with the senior challenge, although when I did it this November, I found it much more difficult than the intermediate.

ReputationRep:
    Why was 22 about the liars not A)0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandm)
    Why was 22 about the liars not A)0
    Because if someone says there are 2 liars sat next to them, when in reality there's only one liar sat next to them, they're still lying.

Therefore it's 2016/2 - 2016/3 = 336

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11ahf)
    I would have done better had all the questions been hard - at least then stupid mistakes would have been forgiveable! It's so frustrating as the grade boundary just keeps getting higher and higher for the Olympiad every year as I get older. And every single year I am <10 marks off the boundary! Then I end up doing the kangaroo, and always get a merit, but it doesn't mean anything: it's all like "Great! You did well in a 2nd best qualification!" Oh well - at least I have two more shots with the senior challenge, although when I did it this November, I found it much more difficult than the intermediate.
    Ah, don't worry man. I know how you feel because I made 3 mistakes myself on questions that I would've got correct if I proof-read my working out and re-read the question.
    You seem quite clever :P and also seem like you've been doing these challenges for a while, so I want to ask you:

Do the past papers actually help? - I think it's just the natural capability or mathematical knowledge that helps because I do 1 past paper every year before the exam and end up doing equally good each time. However, some past papers seem to help sometimes I guess - more practice and get used to the style of the questions I suppose?

ReputationRep:
    That low? I kinda regretted not putting lots of my answers in like some other people here. If 55-60 is actually gold, what will silver and bronze be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1+1=Window)
    That low? I kinda regretted not putting lots of my answers in like some other people here. If 55-60 is actually gold, what will silver and bronze be?
    I don't think it was that hard??
    I can't say anything as it'd sound injudicious because I didn't complete the paper only got to Q20.
    But, if it was that hard - thank you because I may have a chance to somehow get into Pink Kangaroo then which is impossible at this point - guaranteed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.