Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got 71. I found it harder than the 2015 paper I did for practice which I got 81 on. Hopefully I will get gold and kangaroo ( I'm in year 10)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A02)
    Hi, I just looked and it states that the olympiad is on the 10th March, but they say that for schools without a valid email, they won't return the challenge for 6 weeks. How does this work?
    They post the results to schools but if the schools give them an e-mail address, they e-mail results in three weeks; our school gives an e-mail address

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I did that well. First time doing it this year - let me tell you one thing, it didn't go well. A few lessons running up till the actual test we did a couple of past papers in my maths lesson. For each paper we circled the answers on the question sheet. So, on the day of the challenge I thought I would have some hope, but I wasn't feeling too good. Anyway, I filled out my name on the answer sheet and got straight to work. I think I worked out the answers for the majority of the questions, but when I came to actually writing the answers down on the sheet I circled the answers on the question paper for some reason, like in my maths lesson, and left the actual answer sheet blank. I handed in my paper hoping I did well until the next day when I found out I did it all wrong and I was supposed to put a line through the answer on the answer sheet instead of circling the answers on the question sheet. Now my maths teacher is making fun of me for getting zero because I put the answers on the wrong sheet. Plus, I didn't even fill my name out right, instead of putting a think line through each letter I put a cross instead. First time doing maths challenge, probably the last. Yay.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think 94 would be enough to get into the Maclaurin Olympiad? I made a careless mistake in one of the questions from 16-25, so I'm really hoping that the boundary to get into Maclaurin will be lower this year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just hoping 84 will be OK for cayley. I did 2 practice papers before, and got 96 and 127, but on the day stress/nerves were pretty bad. I misread loads of questions, and got 2 wrong in the first five! Anyway, I did the JMO last year and got a book prize, so I could always enter myself into the Cayley as a discretionary candidate this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A02)
    I'm just hoping 84 will be OK for cayley. I did 2 practice papers before, and got 96 and 127, but on the day stress/nerves were pretty bad. I misread loads of questions, and got 2 wrong in the first five! Anyway, I did the JMO last year and got a book prize, so I could always enter myself into the Cayley as a discretionary candidate this year.
    Same. I got roughly the same as you and I really want to get in too but I made some stupid mistakes and stress got the better of me. Fingers crossed the boundaries will be like last years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BriannaTheBreeze)
    Same. I got roughly the same as you and I really want to get in too but I made some stupid mistakes and stress got the better of me. Fingers crossed the boundaries will be like last years.
    Lol, let's just hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the answers for 1-20?

ReputationRep:
    They're online at the ukmt teacher resources page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangent16)
    Do you guys think 94 would be enough to get into the Maclaurin Olympiad? I made a careless mistake in one of the questions from 16-25, so I'm really hoping that the boundary to get into Maclaurin will be lower this year.
    It's only been under 95 once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123Master321)
    It's only been under 95 once
    When was this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    When was this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    2005 see above spreadsheet

ReputationRep:
    Will 71 be enough to get into the pink kangaroo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMK10)
    Will 71 be enough to get into the pink kangaroo?
    depends whether it was harder or easier than last year's IMC

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I got 130. Shame I can't tell a trapezium from a rhombus .

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the Bronze, silver and gold boundaries would be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnSmith19762)
    What do you think the Bronze, silver and gold boundaries would be?
    Everyone has different opinions regarding whether it was harder or easier... I personally found it easier so I reckon 72 for a gold or something seems OK. I'll be well within if that's the case thankfully.

ReputationRep:
    The UKMT requires more logic I need to get better in these things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnSmith19762)
    The UKMT requires more logic I need to get better in these things
    Finally... I feel this is only for IMC though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's the usual threshold for a bronze usually? (I found the paper tricky lol)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.