The Student Room Group

UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liszthoven
Hey, at least you have the capability to get the answer. You just need to write down your thought process right?

Sorry, I didn't know about that; have panic attacks brought you down before in an exam?

Yes, when I was in your year, I was doing worse than you were but was fairly confident of getting into cayley, but on the day, I spent 7-8 mins on one of the 1-15 questions and just scraped cayley
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 123Master321
Well, for most subjects it doesn't matter, you either know it or you don't and its not that I forget what Ive learnt. Even for things like physics this applies. However, for maths it is sort of different. Normally for maths exams, they give you copious amounts of time so it doesnt matter. Its mainly just having a fairly large amount of questions to do whilst being under time pressure.

This is why I did (reasonably) well in the Cayley when I did it, its just a bit harder to crack under pressure when there are so few questions that I can just think it through

Ah I see. Sometimes I start freaking out for a few minutes if I get stuck too. Kinda annoying. In fact in the ukmog I only worked out 2 out of 5 questions but then the fire alarm rang and after getting some fresh air I did 2 more! Got really lucky, I guess.
Are you on ukmt or bmos mentoring scheme?
Yes, when I was in your year, I was doing worse than you were but was fairly confident of getting into cayley, but on the day, I spent 7-8 mins on one of the 1-15 questions and just scraped cayley

Hence my current state of unease
Hence my current state of unease

well if you are getting around 2-3 wrong then your average score is around 120+, so with cayley being around 85, then you'll have to mess up quite badly... I don't think you should be worried
well if you are getting around 2-3 wrong then your average score is around 120+, so with cayley being around 85, then you'll have to mess up quite badly... I don't think you should be worried

Haha thanks. Good luck on Thursday, hope you get through to Maclaurin (I'm almost certain your will actually).

I bet on Thursday evening/Friday everyone's gonna be discussing the IMC online...
Haha thanks. Good luck on Thursday, hope you get through to Maclaurin (I'm almost certain your will actually).

I bet on Thursday evening/Friday everyone's gonna be discussing the IMC online...

Thanks, you too

Yh the thread will explode
anybody done past intermediate Olympiads? I should get through to the cayley, so I'm wondering on advice...
Reply 47
I didn't do the challenge before so sorry if I sound dumb but can you miss out the last questions and avoid penalty? or do you have to complete all of the paper?
Original post by faexxo
I didn't do the challenge before so sorry if I sound dumb but can you miss out the last questions and avoid penalty? or do you have to complete all of the paper?

Depends... You can miss it out without penalty, but if you want to get into the top Olympiad, you would want to answer most of the questions
Reply 49
Depends... You can miss it out without penalty, but if you want to get into the top Olympiad, you would want to answer most of the questions

I doubt it I only got told yesterday what it was about everyone in my class has done it before because I moved schools...
Ooh I'm doing it as well and I've been looking for people to talk about it with! Also wondering about olympiads as I'm pretty certain I'll get into cayley (I did it last year and got gold, just missed the olympiad :frown: ) But I've never been very good at olympiad style questions... I'm reading 'How To Solve It' but does anyone have any tips? :smile:
Reply 51
it tomorrow and im so nervous i have done it the past three years and only got bronze and one silver

#goingforgold
well not quite sure how im in top set maths at school , sitting the 2016 intermediate tomorrow (literally shitting myself) got like 2 marks last year :/ maybe even minus marks i revise, revise and revise... you can never be prepared for these tests they are harsh af.KILL ME NOW TOO MUSH PRESSURE ON CHILDREN NOW A DAYS IM NOT ALBERT EINSTEIN I DONT KNOW THIS STUFF. we did some previous questions from last year in class i was just forgot how hard it was...RIP MY EDUCATION I GET A* OR 8 (ACCORDING TO THE NEW STUPID GRADE SYSTEM UGHH) IN EVERY OTHER SUBJECT EXCEPT FRENCH BUT MATHS...JUST REKTS MY BRAIN
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TobyBeniston
well not quite sure how im in top set maths at school , sitting the 2016 intermediate tomorrow (literally shitting myself) got like 2 marks last year :/ maybe even minus marks i revise, revise and revise... you can never be prepared for these tests they are harsh af.KILL ME NOW TOO MUSH PRESSURE ON CHILDREN NOW A DAYS IM NOT ALBERT EINSTEIN I DONT KNOW THIS STUFF. we did some previous questions from last year in class i was just forgot how hard it was...RIP MY EDUCATION I GET A* OR 8 (ACCORDING TO THE NEW STUPID GRADE SYSTEM UGHH) IN EVERY OTHER SUBJECT EXCEPT FRENCH BUT MATHS...JUST REKTS MY BRAIN

Yeah, it's generally difficult to 'study' for math since it's all about how much you've comprehended what you learned and how to apply it... Good luck for tomorrow!

I'm freaking out too! I just want a bloody certificate!:colondollar:
Does anyone have any tips or tricks??
how many marks do you think on average will gain a gold certificate?
:smile:

btw,

good luck everyone!
Original post by noorgal
how many marks do you think on average will gain a gold certificate?
:smile:

btw,

good luck everyone!

i think its 65
Reply 57
I just hope the paper's something that agrees with me... I know how odd that sounds, but some papers just work for me and others do not. I wish they had fixed averages(I know it's not possible, but still) so that we'd have something to aim for.
Honestly, I've only looked at one past paper and I've never even tried the UKMT before :h:
I'm pretty good at maths so I'm just going to hope I at least get a silver :P
i think its 65

What is the total amount of marks available on the test?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending