Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Oxford UNIQ Summer School course should I do? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I need to get in my application for the Oxford Summer Schools within 6 days by the 3rd of February, and before now I decided I was going to apply for medicine. However, today I saw an email from them saying that various courses had fewer applicants than expected. As the medicine course is extremely competitive and only about 5% of applicants are successful, I'm doubting my choice to do that and was wanting to do the oncology course instead (as it is one of the courses with fewer applicants). However, if I was to choose this the timing would interrupt my families holiday and we'd have to retime the whole thing.
    I'm so unsure about what to do now because applying to the summer school isn't so much about the course but more about the experience of being there, and it's safe to say that there's a very small chance that I'd get accepted onto the medicine course so that could be a waste of time. However, one of the courses I'm interested in with least competition is poorly timed.
    I have no idea what to do, or whether I should apply for other courses. Please help me to decide what to do and if you need any more information I'll be happy to try my best to provide it
    Thank you.

Extra info:
    I got 10 A*s, 1 A and 1 B at GCSE
    I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and physics A-levels but I'm also doing further maths in my own time because I've developed an interest in engineering and ESPECIALLY space (which to be honest I've always been fascinated by). However, I don't think it'd be worth applying for the engineering courses because I haven't done much further maths yet and as it's Oxford Uni everything is going to be fairly competitive.
    Thanks for taking the time to read all this :3
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shredder457)
    X
    You're right that the Medicine UNIQ course is absurdly competitive so it's true that you're probably more likely to get a place by applying directly to Oncology (even though they do have a "second choice" system) and I'd agree that it's just as much about the experience as the course. In terms of whether it's worth rescheduling your holiday, I can't say how difficult that would be for your family so I can't really make this decision for you. I only have positive things to say about the course so if you do get the chance to go I'd definitely recommend it, but on the other hand it's not the end of the world if you can't go (there are plenty of other useful things you can do in your summer).

Regarding Engineering... how serious are you about this? It's not too late to change your directory towards Engineering but if you seriously think Engineering is something you'd like to do, I'd make it your priority to start finding out as much as possible about it because you don't have a lot of time to waste now (I'm talking about the actual university course, not the UNIQ course).

I hope this is helpful in some form!

ReputationRep:
    Just a thought that if you haven't decided what you want to study at university you might like to come along to our "Further Maths What Next?" event, which is a full day event for students who are taking Further Maths but are having trouble deciding what to do. You get a chance to have lectures from lots of different courses at the university (all of whom like candidates with Further Maths A-level). You can book online for Further Maths What Next? and the event itself is on the 16th March.

Of course this won't help you with your UNIQ application, but it might help you in the long run (more than a week studying a single subject might do).

Do also note that if you apply for the Medicine UNIQ course you can't select a second course. It sounds like you might enjoy the Physics (which has some lectures on Astrophysics) or Engineering courses, so why not try one of those?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for the replies, I spoke to one of the progress coordinators at school about it and he inspired me to just go for the medicine course that I was originally going to apply for, and not give up before I even started. Thanks so much for the advice though I'm going to make the most of it and think really thoroughly about what I'd like to do in the future. Thanks again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.