Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First Job TAX help Watch

    • Thread Starter

    I started my first job in september, filled out my P45 and gave it to my boss, but for some reason I think he sent it off, I don't know why or if that was the right thing to do.

    Because i am a gap year student and this is my first job, I thought I wouldn't have to pay tax because I don't earn that much and have only been working there a little while.

    But each month tax is taken off AS WELL as national insurance.
    I don't have a problem with paying taxes if I was supposed to, but do people in their first jobs have to??

    What do you have to do to get the tax back?? Any help would be appreciated

    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

    You'll get a better answer if you post in Money and Finance.

    It has nothing to do with your first job. All that matters is whether you earn (or they expect you to) over £10600 betwen Arpil 2015-April 2016.

    What's your tax code?

    Hi there,

    To add to the above post, this £10600 is split throughout the year, so each month you are given £883 tax free. Whilst you are still due a full tax allowance of £10600, if you exceed this sum per month you will begin paying tax on each pound above this level, which can then be reclaimed if you earn below the allowance in total at the end of the year.

    Otherwise, the best fix is to ring HMRC and ask for, a) a letter confirming your correct tax code, and b) them to pay back those taxes which you should not have paid, which they will do through your employer.

    Currently HMRC are extremely busy because of the self-assessment deadline so it may be worth waiting until after the 31st of January.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

    Sponsored features:

    Web Legend

    Win a Macbook Air!

    Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

    Quick link:

    Unanswered money and finance threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.