Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I want to do chemical engineering at UCL, 2017 entry and have a few things I've wanted to know. Bit about myself; studying maths, physics, chemistry and biology at a grammar school and haven't had the best GCSE's but am predicted AAAB for A level

GCSEs : 1A* 6As 2Bs
    Provided I get my A level grades of at least AAB, I want to know what UCL look for in terms of extra-circular things. So far I've done:

- A MOOC in engineering mechanics
    - Attended physics/biology lectures at a degree level
    - Helped run the science club at school
    - Been on websites such as ted.com and thenakedscientist.com for wider reading
    - Attended chemistry open day at Kings College

What more should I do to further strengthen my future application?

Thanks!!!!:!:&&:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BluntBluster)
    Hi, I want to do chemical engineering at UCL, 2017 entry and have a few things I've wanted to know. Bit about myself; studying maths, physics, chemistry and biology at a grammar school and haven't had the best GCSE's but am predicted AAAB for A level

Provided I get my A level grades of at least AAB, I want to know what UCL look for in terms of extra-circular things. So far I've done:

Bump
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    Unless it's something like medicine then universities aren't fussed about extra curricular activities, so focus on your grades. If a course is competitive/receives a lot of applicants, then they don't have to make you an offer even if you achieve the minimum grades.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Concentrate on your A-levels rather than Supercurriculars.

You need A*AA not AAAB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Concentrate on your A-levels rather than Supercurriculars.

You need A*AA not AAAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At the time of posting this I didn't really know much, I'm predicted 3 A's and a B so I hope if i achieve this I'll be set?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    At the time of posting this I didn't really know much, I'm predicted 3 A's and a B so I hope if i achieve this I'll be set?
    That may be sufficient but only if you qualify for a "contextual" offer (AAA).

ReputationRep:
    I would honestly not recommend UCL for Chemical Engineering. Talking as a first year, I regret choosing UCL, my main reason was the brand name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealOG123)
    I would honestly not recommend UCL for Chemical Engineering. Talking as a first year, I regret choosing UCL, my main reason was the brand name.
    I went to the open day and it seemed okay tbh

ReputationRep:
    Hi, why is that so? Do you mind explaining?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marissahusin)
    Hi, why is that so? Do you mind explaining?
    Not OP but from what I've heard the department and its lecturers are quite apathetic towards its students, and the teaching doesn't really have any practical components (when you would expect a lot in an engineering degree).

There's an entire thread about it if you want to have a look. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3681013
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Not OP but from what I've heard the department and its lecturers are quite apathetic towards its students, and the teaching doesn't really have any practical components (when you would expect a lot in an engineering degree).

There's an entire thread about it if you want to have a look. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3681013
    That's a 2015 thread and the course has apparently been revamped since then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    That's a 2015 thread and the course has apparently been revamped since then.
    Sure, but it's still worth taking the caution because from experience of being on a course that has changed relatively quickly, major improvements like that don't happen overnight. Additionally there's someone complaining as a first year just a few weeks ago, so it would seem the course hasn't been revamped enough to make the point of the thread invalid.

Sure, but it's still worth taking the caution because from experience of being on a course that has changed relatively quickly, major improvements like that don't happen overnight. Additionally there's someone complaining as a first year just a few weeks ago, so it would seem the course hasn't been revamped enough to make the point of the thread invalid.
    They've made the course more suitable for engineers these days who should become cross-disciplinary. It's not good enough now to just be chemical and have your depth of knowledge in one field. Instead its a greater focus on breadth of knowledge so having some knowledge on other disciplines too. The course has certainly changed, and I feel it has been for the better.

I don't know why the brand name is under question when UCL is one of the best in the country for chemical and one of the best in the world overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stickman)
    They've made the course more suitable for engineers these days who should become cross-disciplinary. It's not good enough now to just be chemical and have your depth of knowledge in one field. Instead its a greater focus on breadth of knowledge so having some knowledge on other disciplines too. The course has certainly changed, and I feel it has been for the better.

I don't know why the brand name is under question when UCL is one of the best in the country for chemical and one of the best in the world overall.
    The brand name isn't under question. The course quality is under question because people feel it doesn't live up to the brand name. Rankings are often skewed by the average grades of people admitted, this goes doubly for engineering where there are universities asking for ABB which provide just as high quality courses as those asking for A*A*A. World rankings are even worse as they're mostly determined by whether or not people have heard of the university.

And the criticisms were about involvement of lecturers and the lack of hands on components in the course, not about the interdisciplinarity.

The brand name isn't under question. The course quality is under question because people feel it doesn't live up to the brand name. Rankings are often skewed by the average grades of people admitted, this goes doubly for engineering where there are universities asking for ABB which provide just as high quality courses as those asking for A*A*A. World rankings are even worse as they're mostly determined by whether or not people have heard of the university.

And the criticisms were about involvement of lecturers and the lack of hands on components in the course, not about the interdisciplinarity.
    My brand name point wasn't directly to you. It was to an above poster that questioned it.

I agree rankings aren't the be all and all, but they do give you an indication and there's a reason why rankings are there.

ReputationRep:
    What makes the uni bad are the staff still apathetic?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.